Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dealer buying consortium - GuitarGuitar/Andertons/PMT

What's Hot

Comments

• Will be interesting to see how this GAP partnership develops - I can imagine certain manufactures will be interested and certain wholesalers worried
    For what it's worth, Lee told me in no uncertain terms that this is not a partnership, merger or an independent business entity - it's literally just a buying group.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666

remember PMT acquired 2 powerful web stores in the past (Soho Soudhouse and the one I can't remember - Hitec based and from Merseyside) and let both web sites disappear out of site

Dolphin.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Will be interesting to see how this GAP partnership develops - I can imagine certain manufactures will be interested and certain wholesalers worried
    For what it's worth, Lee told me in no uncertain terms that this is not a partnership, merger or an independent business entity - it's literally just a buying group.
    Ignore any of my posts then... unless you do that by default anyway ;)
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Gassage said:
    Well, my take on this is that I might be able to sneak half an hour in GuitarGuitar this weekend and have a plonk on some G and Ls. 

I guess it surprises me slightly that these companies are working together more as in some places ( Birmingham at least) they are essentially in direct competition.

Eric, my new gaffe is 40m from GG. I have better stock....
    Would that be the Spearmint Rhino place?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    Gassage said:
    Well, my take on this is that I might be able to sneak half an hour in GuitarGuitar this weekend and have a plonk on some G and Ls. 

I guess it surprises me slightly that these companies are working together more as in some places ( Birmingham at least) they are essentially in direct competition.

Would that be the Spearmint Rhino place?  ;)
    I have a very unpleasant mental image of Gassage in a gold thong now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14266
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:

remember PMT acquired 2 powerful web stores in the past (Soho Soudhouse and the one I can't remember - Hitec based and from Merseyside) and let both web sites disappear out of site

Dolphin.

that's the one - thanks
    tFB Trader

Will be interesting to see how this GAP partnership develops - I can imagine certain manufactures will be interested and certain wholesalers worried
    Appreciate that - When I said 'to see how this GAP partnership develops' I meant which product lines will be added to the consortium next - I did not mean partnership as a legal agreement/company, so granted wrong wording
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    personally find the 'Strat' based models are over-engineered - especially the trem system, the wiring set-up and certain pick-ups
    Personally I think the G&L Dual Fulcrum is up there with the Parker trem - the best two I've had. And the voleme/treble/bass control setup on the Legacy is absolutely spot-on. Very versatile without being at all fiddly. 
    there is never one guitar that suits all - So good you like it, but equally others don't  - As an overview the ASAT Tele based models have always been far more popular than the Strat based models, for one reason or another
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    impmann said:

Dolphin.

that's the one - thanks
    PMT bought Nevada Music in Portsmouth too...
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Sporky said:
    personally find the 'Strat' based models are over-engineered - especially the trem system, the wiring set-up and certain pick-ups
    Personally I think the G&L Dual Fulcrum is up there with the Parker trem - the best two I've had. And the voleme/treble/bass control setup on the Legacy is absolutely spot-on. Very versatile without being at all fiddly. 

I agree with this, but don't find the G&L bridge as aesthetically pleasing as I'd like - it's far too wide in my opinion and the curves are a bit odd looking in the context of what is otherwise visually a 1950s design style guitar.  I'd also add MusicMan's tremolo bridge to the top of the tree in terms of design & functionality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30925
    Gassage said:

Flat above Safeburys Supermarket?

Not if a partnering deal or merger includes a “you close your store in city x and we will close ours in city y and effectively split our coverage model”

Less overheads and less competition for each store.

It will be interesting to see if they try to differentiate in their online models as well though. 
    PMT and GG both have large, flagship stores in Birmingham. Guitars more part ( albeit a large part) of what PMT do whereas in GG they are the main thrust. Perhaps it wouldn't be surprising to see PMT eventually becoming drums and music tech only. 
    No, old vicarage on the crossroads by the lights towards Edg Girls School

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited May 2021
    impmann said:

Dolphin.

that's the one - thanks
    Thought they did Bathrooms ....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I buy amps, pedals and "standard" guitars from the boxshifters, generally Andertons.
    The guitars I want to be more special I always have, and will continue to buy from World Guitars and @guitars4you (even if he did ignore my last pm
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    I buy amps, pedals and "standard" guitars from the boxshifters, generally Andertons.
    The guitars I want to be more special I always have, and will continue to buy from World Guitars and @guitars4you (even if he did ignore my last pm
    just had a quick look in my PM box Neil - Can't see anything, so sorry if I missed it and certainly can't recall it, when ever that was - update accordingly - hope you are well etc
  • Thread with hundreds of comments....

Can someone tell me where to get my cheap Gibson please?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Thread with hundreds of comments....

About 1958
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Thread with hundreds of comments....

About 1958
    Directions please  =)
  • mbe said:

About 1958
    Directions please  =)
    Anyone interested in time travel should meet at kings cross station a week last Thursday at 7pm
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    edited September 2018
    mbe said:

About 1958
    Directions please 
    Anyone interested in time travel should meet at kings cross station a week last Thursday at 7pm

What a great meeting that was.

Very informative.Looking forward to the next one yesterday.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Anyone know if this buying consortium between the big 3 still exists three years on?

Never heard much mention of it since and G&L (the most talked about aspect at the time) stocks at all three retailers are very depleted nowadays.  Did it come to anything meaningful long term, or was it just a big wet fart?

Andertons seemed to continue singularly ploughing their own furrow in pursuit of online dominance, GG have carried on solidly as they were, and PMT's website is perpetually among the worst I've ever experienced for an outfit of their size and clout.