Xbox live ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24487
Does anyone here actually use it ?  I did initially, but then some MS updates came along that stopped me from watching C4 and iPlayer unless I paid for a Gold 'Live' subscription.  Fuck that, I thought.  I'll use XBMC on my old Xbox1 that's next to it.  

I've never been bitten by the multiplayer live gaming thing, and I don't really see the attraction.

What's so great about Xbox Live then ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
Offset:"A little heavy on the hyperbole"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17702
    tFB Trader
    I hate online multiplayer. 

As far as I can see it's the preserve mostly of misogynistic, racist, 14 year olds who play CoD 100 hours a week. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24487
    Cool.  I'm not missing much then !
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2942
    I have a gold account, but tend to use it after i have finished the solo game to see extra content.   Shooter and drivers are best (for me) online and add a whole different dimension.  The difficulty is in finding an online game that is not full of 12 year old, racist, american idiots.  Always best played without a headset.

edited August 2013
    I've never had the pleasure of their company.  Is racism really that rife then ?  That's quite depressing to hear that the next generation of Americans are already racists at twelve.

Is it the traditional colour-based racism or have they devolved into middle-east based racism these days ?

Back on subject...  Apart from the company of racist kids, are there any other benefits to 'Live' other than multiplayer online gaming ?  I'm thinking of disconnecting my console from the net as I can't seem to do anything without being asked for money for it.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2942
    Depends when you play and what you play.  I have insomnia so often play 2-4 am. Lots of americans. especially playing COD.  They really dislike mexicans.

During the day time, live seems full of scouters (now i don't want to stereotype) but its odd that they have a lot of time during the working day to play games.

Once in while its possible to find a good crowd of people, playing fair and chatting politely. But it is rare.  

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27322
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've never had the pleasure of their company.  Is racism really that rife then ?  That's quite depressing to hear that the next generation of Americans are already racists at twelve.

Is it the traditional colour-based racism or have they devolved into middle-east based racism these days ?

Back on subject...  Apart from the company of racist kids, are there any other benefits to 'Live' other than multiplayer online gaming ?  I'm thinking of disconnecting my console from the net as I can't seem to do anything without being asked for money for it.
    You'll want to keep it online so you can get patches for games when publishers decide meeting a deadline is more important than releasing a game that isn't a buggy mess.

PSN is just as bad, at least when you play COD. I haven't really touched many other online games. GT5 was just full of arseholes who were amazing at the game but extremely bad at being nice people in chat. COD is mostly full of homophobic racist children. It's not 'merkins, it's the brits too. Battlefield3 is a nice idea, except 9 times out of ten noone wants to play as a team, or even uses the "spot" button, which is the single best way to win a match...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  •  
    As far as I can see it's the preserve mostly of misogynistic, racist, 14 year olds who play CoD 100 hours a week. 
    Pretty much my experience sadly.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I hate online multiplayer. 

Stop feckin' playing shit games then!!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4160
    edited August 2013
    Xbox Live is great if you've got a good friends list. I know lots of people I enjoy playing with. 

And I have my Xbox set to mute voices except those on my friends list. So I don't have to hear annoying brats.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Agreed - If you have good friends to play online with (mostly FIFA & the odd shooter for me) then Xbox live is great - when I'm not playing with friends I have the headset plugged in but muted.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• I dont play like I used to but still have gold for the offers and the 2 free games a month for being on gold.
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    In my experience thus far, PSN seems to be populated by fewer shitty American kids. That said however - I've not played the same game on both consoles, so it might just be that there are fewer kids on the games I have for PS3...
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    Xbox Live is great if you've got a good friends list. I know lots of people I enjoy playing with. 

And I have my Xbox set to mute voices except those on my friends list. So I don't have to hear annoying brats.
    +1

Mute is your friend. I pretty much only play online game modes. Much more fun, as long as you can't hear the aforementioned homophobic racist kids!
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx said:
    Stop feckin' playing shit games then!!
    What are non shit online games though?

I've never played one I didn't hate. Even the online co-op ones are full of people speed running to collect money, xp, etc. 
    Chuffola said:
    Mute is your friend. I pretty much only play online game modes. Much more fun, as long as you can't hear the aforementioned homophobic racist kids!
    I take it there aren't many gay, black Mexicans called Ahmed on there then ?
    Who knows? Probably just not as vocal as the dickheads.
    I might just sign up as "Ahmed 'sweetcheeks' Rodriguez" for the craic.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LOL'd
    tFB Trader
    It seems to be a rule that anyone of XBox live has to be misogynistic. Street fighter type games seem to be the worst. There was a competition where a female competitor withdrew because of loads of abuse her competitor was giving her and it was deemed to be "Part of the game" by organisers. 

Again it's par for the course for kids to call you a "fag", any women on there will usually get told to "make me a sandwich bitch", and there will be enough racist language to make you despair for humanity.
    How sad.  Don't these retards get banned for such behaviour then ?