are you identifiable as a Strat man or a ???? (or whatever guitar type you might be preferring)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    edited April 2014
    Lixarto said:
    You'll get no argument from me - more than one person has said to me "You make every guitar sound the same"; so it is in the fingers after all ;)
    Wisdom awarded. There is a good Buddy Whittington song about that. It's of Six String Svengali. The lyrics are ace.

As are the lyrics to "I have to go and see Alice" from the same album but that ones's not really relevant to guitars!

Back to the thread - I suppose I'm a modified Strat man and need to have a mixture of humbuckes and single coils, normally HSS configuration. My favourite guitar is a Strat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

I admit to being a Strat man.

The reason I play guitar is because of a couple of bands in which the guitarist was a Strat player.

For no logical reason at all I do not like Les Pauls, or any of the others out there like the PRS etc, although I do have a soft spot for the Gretsch range.

For me Strats feel "right" and that's it, can't explain it other than it's a personal thing.

Narrow minded? Yes I probably am but at the same time I'm not knocking the other guitars, I just know what I like.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    I veer more towards Gibson nowadays for the easier playability of the slighter shorter scale. 
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184

Lixarto said:
    I have given this a lot of thought over the years, and the conclusion is stark and definite: nobody cares.

The audience doesn't care, the rest of your band doesn't care (if you have another guitarist, he[1] may care if you're too sonically or cosmetically similar) and I now wonder if you yourself should care.

[1] And it is, depressingly, almost always a he.
    I totally agree with this.

but in the spirit of the thread I am an offset guitar player. 
    +1. Always thought of myself as a 335 player, but the first guitar I reach for if I'm gigging is a strat, closely followed by a tele.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    Tele man here, preferably with a fat all maple neck and 7.25" profile. I play all the 'others' but if the house was burning down and I could only save one guitar it would have to be my 52 AVRI.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    Bastard teles.

I love the tele shape. It is perfection. Having said that, I really really like a trem. So for me, it's any kind of tele with a trem. I would go into a burning house to save my no 1 guitar (in my avatar).
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    Kebabkid said:
    Panama_Jack666 said: There is a good Buddy Whittington song about that. It's of Six String Svengali. The lyrics are ace.

As are the lyrics to "I have to go and see Alice" from the same album but that ones's not really relevant to guitars!

^^^ I was going to say exactly this (plus *all* BW's lyrics are ace, and his guitar playing isn't exactly shabby either!)

I would have called myself a Strat man for many years, but now having realised that any guitar with a whammy bar is essentially broken, I would call myself a Tele man...  (Oh well...)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I'm known by most people who have seen me play as a green guitar man.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3529
    I prefer SGs but mainly play a strat. Can't make the SG do what a strat does when primarily playing cleanish. Overdriven, there's less of a difference.
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 852
    I suppose Gibson for me as I'm usually drawn towards Les Pauls, however Tele's are my second choice. I really want to get on with Strats and have a had a few over the years, but I'm buggered if I can make them sound any good!
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    axisus said:
    Bastard teles.

I love the tele shape. It is perfection. Having said that, I really really like a trem. So for me, it's any kind of tele with a trem. I would go into a burning house to save my no 1 guitar (in my avatar).

This is why I am lusting after the Squire Cabronita with the Bigsby. Not a Strat I know but maybe it's time for a change.

Plus if it does go horribly wrong it's not a great layout.

(All I need now is for them to do the 2 Fideletron version with a Bigsby!).

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I don't seem to have one? I don't know why but that kind of makes me feel sad a bit :( 

Maybe I need to ask around! 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/