Victory Silverback.

What's Hot

Comments

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited May 2014
    I dunno, I'm always amazed at what young people can afford. If you're working and living with ma and pa guess you can save alot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Lew said:
    I dunno, I'm always amazed at what young people can afford. If you're working and living with ma and pa guess you can save alot.
    This

You rarely have more money than when you have a job, but still live with your parents. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Lew said:

When I was young, working and living with parents, the only thing I managed to save was beer from going out of date.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lew said:
    This

You rarely have more money than when you have a job, but still live with your parents. 
    Crap. I live with my parents and have a job and I still need to save for a year minimum to afford a nice shiny new amp. That'll be second hand.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4308
    edited May 2014
    A lot of the kids that idolise him are still of school age, 13-16.

Must have one hell of a paper round to afford one of his guitars let alone the latest amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    edited May 2014
    I imagine it's a helluva of an amp. The signature thing doesnt bother me. I don't hate Chappers, I'm just old enough to see past certain levels of BS. An amp that's been gigged what 10 times? That's considered a serious field test? A tech really for a ten date tour? meh, if enough people start to feed you positive vibes then I'd imagine certain people could become seduced by it all.

Surely with all of his experience he'd know by now the features he'd want to include on his amp? I was more impressed by Guthrie's sentiment about his Victory amps not letting him down once on the recent Aristocrats tour.

I've read a few posts by guys on here, who have owned Victory amps and nobody is screaming "buy these amps etc". Which is sad, as I wanted them to do well.
     They will sell a handful of these signature amps. Yes £1800 is a lot of money in anyones book. But I'm constantly flabergasted by youngsters latest NGD's (particularly on the chappers forum, when I used to post). Best thing is to wait a few years pick one up for say £700-900 or if I wanted that sound.....A Jet City 50/100 and a few wampler pedals. To me though it's like smelling aftershaves.....after about three they all start to sound the same. But yes a Jet City amp and pocket the change :D
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I suspect that the Silverback is just the standard 50 watter with a pot for the gain boost the separate verb controls merged and a couple of tweaks to the EQ. 

It's clear that with TC giving people like PGS Andy and Chappers tone prints people know who really sells gear these days and that's YouTube Demo guys.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    DrJazzTap said:
     They will sell a handful of these signature amps. Yes £1800 is a lot of money in anyones book. But I'm constantly flabergasted by youngsters latest NGD's (particularly on the chappers forum, when I used to post). Best thing is to wait a few years pick one up for say £700-900 or if I wanted that sound.....A Jet City 50/100 and a few wampler pedals. To me though it's like smelling aftershaves.....after about three they all start to sound the same. But yes a Jet City amp and pocket the change :D
    You know what the funny thing is? I'm probably the biggest proponent of Jet City amps on here, and the reason I bought on in the first place was...Rob's demo of the JCA100H for Andertons :)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    What I don't understand is that he has a fan base mainly of teenagers.

Teenagers don't have access to £1800-2000 for a hand wired amp.

Some do - and, as has been pointed out, a vast number of young folk both work and live at home, so they have more spare cash than you'd think.

Besides, there's also the point that's been alluded to in a few of the videos Rob's done about Victory Amps - they're going to try to leverage their contacts in China (made through Chapman Guitars) to bring out a cheaper made-in-the-East range of amps. What you're seeing now is effectively the first step to get people excited; it's reasonably likely they probably won't sell a huge number of them, but the real money will probably be made in the lower-cost ranges.
    <space for hire>
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    Yeah didn't they used to be £799? How clean does the JCA50H stay? Have to admit, my wampler SloStortion was £140. And for another £100, I could have got a full blown Jetcity!

But yeah chappers is making his living from music, so fair play to him. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

I watched that Beware of Mr Baker a few months ago. Now a few people or most people would conclude that he's an ass. But I liked the fact he doesn't give a rats ass what anybody thinks of him. (Granted thought he was a terrible father with a slightly enlarged ego).
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    DrJazzTap said:
    Yeah didn't they used to be £799? How clean does the JCA50H stay? Have to admit, my wampler SloStortion was £140. And for another £100, I could have got a full blown Jetcity!

When I got my first JCA50H, it was £529 from Andertons (I had the first one in the UK). Then Source Distribution fucked them over and sold off remaining stock at cost price - ever since then, they've had a (somewhat unfair) reputation as a budget brand and nobody would buy them at the usual £400+ prices. As a result, they've started selling them at much lower prices as well as cutting out the middle man.

The JCA50H is pretty good at staying clean at volume, but you wouldn't want the gain much above 2.5 on the Normal channel. Any more than that, and it starts to break up in a very similar manner to the SLO's crunch channel (obviously).
    <space for hire>
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    edited May 2014

Some do - and, as has been pointed out, a vast number of young folk both work and live at home, so they have more spare cash than you'd think.
    Well they shouldn't! They should be saving for their house deposits like I had to in my day and not expect Parents to fund it!

I remember in 1980 having to give up my £2,500 saved up to have my new MGB Roadster converted to a 3500 V8...went down on a gaff cos the threat of my girlfriend's parents stopping us seeing each other... I was 22... 

Who wants to see my MGB ?? And the house the V8 fund went into??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

57Deluxe said:

Well they shouldn't! They should be saving for their house deposits like I had to in my day and not expect Parents to fund it!
    To be fair, in most of England the house prices have gone through the roof. Arguably a bubble situation. Whether it'll burst or not is another thing, of course, because a lot of people don't want it to burst, but it could do. It certainly burst here in NI.
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    57Deluxe said:

I remember in 1980 having to give up my £2,500 saved up to have my new MGB Roadster converted to a 3500 V8...went down on a gaff cos the threat of my girlfriend's parents stopping us seeing each other... I was 22... 

Who wants to see my MGB ?? And the house the V8 fund went into??
    Easy fix to that, stay single. Works for me...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357

It's clear that with TC giving people like PGS Andy and Chappers tone prints people know who really sells gear these days and that's YouTube Demo guys.
    I went to Pete Thorn's website.  He advertised that he would do demos for a fee.  Also, the questionnaires sent out by the pedal manufacturers and magazines all ask where you got the idea to buy the pedal from.  I bet Chappers, Pete Thorn, Gearmanndude and that Australian bloke came up high on the list.  The marketing budget gets allocated based on those surveys.  It is a living for those with a good camera and decent chops.
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    firks91;229409" said:
    that one does sound better actually. perhaps theres hope for them to bring out a truly beastly amp
    I don't think so. I was so looking forward to these amps and they've been a huge let down.

And for that reason, I'm out.
    i cant deny that both the heads ive tried were less than impressive. the earl had the potential though, hence why im thinking (more like hoping) that the silverback would be the tweaks needed. 
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    I suspect that the Silverback is just the standard 50 watter with a pot for the gain boost the separate verb controls merged and a couple of tweaks to the EQ. 

i think the amount of gain is the same on both the v50 and silverback. but yeah id agree its only a tweaked eq and some added features really
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    ...Victory 'Slapback'...!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    Cacofonix said:
    I bet Chappers, Pete Thorn, Gearmanndude and that Australian bloke came up high on the list
    Pete Thorn and "Chappers"

Under no circumstances could they be compared other than YT views / subscribers.