Gibson 1956 - 1960 Les Paul Standard Conversion under £12K

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
in Guitar tFB Trader
Just stumbled across this on Reverb - https://reverb.com/item/12675427-gibson-les-paul-standard-1956-1960-cherry-burst-conversion - It immediately made me think of @jumping@shadows ;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I've heard of this guy. The one above started life as a '56 Junior! That's a pretty big leap to it becoming a burst.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah they are alot of money for what you get. Especially considering the non original parts that would be needed to convert a junior into a burst. Id rather buy a hacked up 52 or 53 and convert it. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    Started out as a Junior??

With all of the conversion required may just  have well started from scratch.

Seems ridiculous to me, but what do I know?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • When they run out of juniors to convert will they move onto single cut melody makers? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    When they run out of juniors to convert will they move onto single cut melody makers? 
    More likely they will convert pre 58 Doves, Songbirds and J-200s..
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    i can't see how they've done it and kept the right thickness because of the roundover, I'd hate to do that to one personally, much better to go back to as close to original imo

Juniors aren't exactly cheap anymore 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • I'd rather have the Junior than that.  Bizarre bit of butchery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    What a crock!
  • This kind of thing seems rife - Sharon Osborne levels of plastic surgery inflicted on a defenseless old guitar....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Such a shame. It's rife though. A guy contacted me on eBay once wanting to buy a '57 Special I had listed to convert it to a 'Burst...I told him the error of his ways, obviously.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2406
    Lay's are one of the most respected and oldest established refinishers of guitars in the world. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Lay's are one of the most respected and oldest established refinishers of guitars in the world. 
    Well, I’d say they’ve ‘jumped the shark’ with this one...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72644
    i can't see how they've done it and kept the right thickness because of the roundover, I'd hate to do that to one personally, much better to go back to as close to original imo
    Not only that, but the neck joint raises serious questions - the Junior has a full-width tenon with a substantial lip on the body, so if that's been shaved away to bring it to to flush with the neck it must be paper-thin, even if a new piece has been fitted on the inside to make the mortice narrower - that will probably substantially weaken it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Not only that, but the neck joint raises serious questions - the Junior has a full-width tenon with a substantial lip on the body, so if that's been shaved away to bring it to to flush with the neck it must be paper-thin, even if a new piece has been fitted on the inside to make the mortice narrower - that will probably substantially weaken it.
    Yes you're right i forgot about that which is difficult as I'm making 4 LPs now with vintage spec tenons, you wouldn't shave it just move the centre line back to where it would normally be on standards and allow around 8mm of side wall in the cutaway 

I think you'd have to put a whole new piece in the mortice then route back it on the centre, there's also the depth of the tenon and on original bursts it's around 38mm deep and 38mm wide, original juniors aren't that deep so you'd have to shim the bottom of a junior tenon

Anyway complete nonsense and far better to have one made or go vintage player grade goldtop 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Rabs said:
    You would be way better off getting a 2019 Traditional. Really nice this year.
    http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2019/USA/Les-Paul-Traditional-2019.aspx#LPTD19HSNH1
    You would be way better off buying 5 2019 Les Paul Traditionals, a American Elite Strat and a pizza and a pint!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11882
    edited November 2018
    I'd rather have an Epiphone and £11,500 in the bank.

Seriously though - 12k and it's not even close to original?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    How wonderful. Vintage Gibsons are being hacked up and turned into burst clones to make a few quid. The result of this - 1 less vintage Les Paul Junior in the world and exactly the same number of real bursts.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    tFB Trader
    Dan_Halen said:
    How wonderful. Vintage Gibsons are being hacked up and turned into burst clones to make a few quid. The result of this - 1 less vintage Les Paul Junior in the world and exactly the same number of real bursts.
    True - Only 643 original 59 bursts ever built - And only around 1000 + still in existence !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • designerseye88designerseye88 Frets: 987
    edited November 2018
    Dan_Halen said:
    Apparently they only use Juniors that can't be restored. But I think there's a few chaps on here that could restore a junior in any condition.