Gibson 1956 - 1960 Les Paul Standard Conversion under £12K

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    Dan_Halen said:
    How wonderful. Vintage Gibsons are being hacked up and turned into burst clones to make a few quid. The result of this - 1 less vintage Les Paul Junior in the world and exactly the same number of real bursts.
    Apparently they only use Juniors that can't be restored. But I think there's a few chaps on here that could restore a junior in any condition. 
    I can absolutely believe that's what they might say. However, if it's beyond restoration then how could it be possible to use it as a conversion? Either it's completely fucked or it isn't so that's clearly a nonsense statement. How can it be 'restored' into a burst but not restored (back) into a LJP given that's what it already is? I don't know what I find more sad - that there is a market for it or that builders are happy to do it.

(those questions are fairly rhetorical really and not pointed at you :-) ) Like you said, there are guys on here that can work magic with a guitar seemingly beyond help. Just seems a real shame to me as it's so cynical.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3302
    tFB Trader
    wait till you see a 58 dc junior I'm going to restore, it's a mess but it's going back to original 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31760
    Dan_Halen said:
    How wonderful. Vintage Gibsons are being hacked up and turned into burst clones to make a few quid. The result of this - 1 less vintage Les Paul Junior in the world and exactly the same number of real bursts.
    This. Don't call 'em out on it on here though, the mods will edit your posts so they don't get upset. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6842
    tFB Trader
    Dan_Halen said:
    Apparently they only use Juniors that can't be restored. But I think there's a few chaps on here that could restore a junior in any condition. 
    It's the classic line. The 'Burst' obsession is something I just don't get. So many of the guitars that come up for 'conversion' could so easily be brought back to their original state with LESS work IMO but would they be worth as much? That's the overriding question, really.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14519
    tFB Trader
    Dan_Halen said:
    Dan_Halen said:
    I can absolutely believe that's what they might say. However, if it's beyond restoration then how could it be possible to use it as a conversion? Either it's completely fucked or it isn't so that's clearly a nonsense statement. How can it be 'restored' into a burst but not restored (back) into a LJP given that's what it already is? I don't know what I find more sad - that there is a market for it or that builders are happy to do it.

(those questions are fairly rhetorical really and not pointed at you :-) ) Like you said, there are guys on here that can work magic with a guitar seemingly beyond help. Just seems a real shame to me as it's so cynical.
    I can see your thought pattern - I dare say the skill level required to convert to a burst, or restore as Junior are similar - And yes I can think of 2/3 guys on FB who could undertake either

So the decision is then based on the appropriate challenge to convert and/or the level of return of profit, compared to the Junior restoration - I dare say some labour of love and pride comes into place as well

Not defending or attacking either option, as either way the skill level is way ahead of my ability, so I do have admiration for their ability - I dare say a market exists otherwise why would they go down this route - Yet equally I agree about your 'cynical' comment 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72801
    At least there are still thousands of original 50s Juniors left.

There was quite possibly only one factory original LP Custom with a maple cap. And then there were none.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom