Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Suede - Sky Arts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Oakes really is fantastic...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    DannyP said:
    Adam_MD said:
    Bernard Butler was a huge influence on me when I was learning to play in the 90s he’s a very distinctive player.  
    Absolutely, @Adam_MD it's slightly forgotten what a big deal they were, but I was bashing out punky chords a la Neds Atomic Dustbin before I heard Bernard. Then a whole world of chord melody embellishment and imcorporating open strings etc. opened up to me.

That led me back to Johnny Marr, who I was too young for first time round.
    @DannyP I discovered Johnny Marr through Bernard Butler as well.  He also introduced me to Jeff Buckley when he did the evening session with Steve Lamacq for his first solo album.

I also really liked McAlmont and Butler.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16204
    Great Band
    Beautiful Ones.......one of my all time favourite records
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12086
    Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    Is it a compliment to or a criticism of Richard Oakes that the band's sound remained so similar when he joined?

Not sure I know the answer to that. Both?
    It was intentional. Oakes was a massive fan.

One of the reasons he got the job was that they were ready to tour and he already knew all the songs!

To be fair he is a fine player in his own right, just not quite as good as Bernard.
    I know that. But shouldn't a great guitarist have their own distinctive sound?
    Suede wasn't just Bernard though.  A lot of what we associate with Suede comes from Brett as well.

Oakes has a very different way with a fill than Bernard did, "Barriers" off one of their new albums is pretty textbook Oakes I'd say.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Hattigol said:
    Hattigol said:
    Is it a compliment to or a criticism of Richard Oakes that the band's sound remained so similar when he joined?

Not sure I know the answer to that. Both?
    It was intentional. Oakes was a massive fan.

One of the reasons he got the job was that they were ready to tour and he already knew all the songs!

To be fair he is a fine player in his own right, just not quite as good as Bernard.
    I know that. But shouldn't a great guitarist have their own distinctive sound?
    Suede wasn't just Bernard though.  A lot of what we associate with Suede comes from Brett as well.

Oakes has a very different way with a fill than Bernard did, "Barriers" off one of their new albums is pretty textbook Oakes I'd say.
    Exactly. The bass is a huge part of Suede as well. Subtle but textured runs throughout most the songs. 
  • Great film. Thanks for the heads up. I saw Suede on the Coming Up tour and they were a great live band. I used to know a girl that lived next door to Matt Osman when they were growing up. Tenuous link but she got me a signed photo many years ago! Richard Oakes is certainly a very good guitarist but he hasn't aged as well as the others. I wouldn't have recognised him.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8198
    Great film. Thanks for the heads up. I saw Suede on the Coming Up tour and they were a great live band. I used to know a girl that lived next door to Matt Osman when they were growing up. Tenuous link but she got me a signed photo many years ago! Richard Oakes is certainly a very good guitarist but he hasn't aged as well as the others. I wouldn't have recognised him.
    Oakesy actually looks a lot better now than he did about 4 years ago. I'd say he has lost about 3 or 4 stone but he has gained about 20 years as a payback.

I thought I read that he had some sort of breakdown - it'd be understandable really, joining your favourite band, largeing it with them for years, then the trauma of splitting up.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12086
    Great film. Thanks for the heads up. I saw Suede on the Coming Up tour and they were a great live band. I used to know a girl that lived next door to Matt Osman when they were growing up. Tenuous link but she got me a signed photo many years ago! Richard Oakes is certainly a very good guitarist but he hasn't aged as well as the others. I wouldn't have recognised him.
    Did you get a signed photo of Richard Osman as well?  Or did you think it was pointless...?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Saw Suede with Bernard and with Richard Oakes and even seen Brett solo. Love all their stuff, plus The Tears album (Refugees is great). Recently saw Bernard playing the guitar for Ben Watt, which was at a very small venue in Hebden Bridge. Got a really good look at his guitars and pedal board (about 5 feet away from them!). Great to see a guitarist you admire so close up; he didn't put a foot wrong. He uses LazyJ amps and pedals which sounded incredible.
    We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1080
    Just started it. Amazed at the connections already and just 5 minutes in, Justine Frischmann, Mike Joyce, Ricky Gervais....
  • I want to see this badly but don't have Sky Arts.... is there any other way?
    The first two albums are incredible of course and Sci Fi Lullabies, 1st half is just as good. I really like The Tears album too. Lost interest in them after Butler left, perhaps I should give those albums a listen.

• Great documentary, watched it tonight. I was a fan for the first 2 albums, lost interest after that. Saw them on the Dog Man Star tour. Good to see a documentary where they are very frank about drug issues that caused the break up of the band and not gloss over it.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8198
    I want to see this badly but don't have Sky Arts.... is there any other way?
    The first two albums are incredible of course and Sci Fi Lullabies, 1st half is just as good. I really like The Tears album too. Lost interest in them after Butler left, perhaps I should give those albums a listen.

Coming out on DVD on the band's website soon.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis