Shops that weigh their guitars

What's Hot
guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
edited November 2018 in Guitar
Besides Coda, what shops routinely weigh their individual instruments?  

To cut a long story short I've had a bit of a rubbish year with shoulder and elbow injuries and the reality is that lighter guitars (and good straps) are the difference between me enjoying playing or being in discomfort.  I am still having physio and remain confident I'll make a complete recovery, but going forward I want stick to lighter instruments.  So potentially two of my instruments are likely to be sold or traded in the coming months as and when I find suitable replacements.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    Guitars4You, Peach, Guitar Village (higher-end ones), Andertons (individually photographed ones - tend to be higher-end as well). 

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    GuitarGuitar will weigh them if you ask
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14375
    edited November 2018 tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Guitars4You, Peach, Guitar Village (higher-end ones), Andertons (individually photographed ones - tend to be higher-end as well). 

I think you are right about when they are individually photographed they tend to be weighed at the same time

Normally on 'box shifting' items they will use a generic photo, so no individual pics, check-up, set-up - Just a label on the box for delivery - Amazon style
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33846
    World Guitars I think too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, plenty to look at there.  

Appreciate nobody is going to be weighing every individual low end guitar, but with things like that I'd just go to a shop and try a bunch.
    Also, if you're after a T type, I did trade in a thinline tele at GG Epsom that was silly light (under 6lbs). Might still be there
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    edited November 2018
    Paulwonia body like Brad Paisleys tele  are super light and also very acoustic .One of the big yank box shifters weighs each one .
  • SGs and Flying Vs are in your future - super light and super badass

• SGs and Flying Vs are in your future - super light and super badass
    SG isn’t a bad shout actually! Plenty of those I could try in person.

Flying Vs I’m not sure about, if I wanted a ‘shape’ guitar I’d go explorer but I’m not so sure on the typical weight.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    SGs and Flying Vs are in your future - super light and super badass

Flying Vs I’m not sure about, if I wanted a ‘shape’ guitar I’d go explorer but I’m not so sure on the typical weight.

SG geometry might not be helpful.  Because the neck joins the body much higher up, it puts your left hand further away for open position chords.  I ended up selling my SG.

If you want that style of guitar, some of the all mahogany PRS like the Mira might be a better bet.  If you can find a light one, some of their S2 or SE Singlecuts can be quite light.

I don't know what you are playing at the moment, but if it's a Les Paul, then an ES Les Paul is well worth a look.  It doesn't have the spiky sound of some of the all mahogany guitars like an SG.

If you are into Fender style guitars then you can find Teles and Strats that are quite light - Teles more so than Strats though.  The bridge and trem assembly on the Strat add a bit of weight.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5073
    edited November 2018
    Oasis In Ringwood have the weights of pretty much all their guitars on their website. The prices of their used stock seem high but I think they’re normally up for a deal. 

Charlie Chandler’s CGX sometimes include weights in their online listings.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    tFB Trader
    Do dating web sites show their weights ????
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    My sons first guitar was a suire strat, don't know the actual weight, but was much lighter than a standard Fender. Might be worth a try. Also G&L Tele's are lighter I think (indonesian ones) especially if you go for the Blues Boy
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited November 2018
    crunchman said:
    SGs and Flying Vs are in your future - super light and super badass

SG geometry might not be helpful.  Because the neck joins the body much higher up, it puts your left hand further away for open position chords.  I ended up selling my SG.

If you want that style of guitar, some of the all mahogany PRS like the Mira might be a better bet.  If you can find a light one, some of their S2 or SE Singlecuts can be quite light.

I don't know what you are playing at the moment, but if it's a Les Paul, then an ES Les Paul is well worth a look.  It doesn't have the spiky sound of some of the all mahogany guitars like an SG.

If you are into Fender style guitars then you can find Teles and Strats that are quite light - Teles more so than Strats though.  The bridge and trem assembly on the Strat add a bit of weight.

I've not played an SG in a few years so it is a fair point I would need to play one on a strap for a while and see what it felt like.

I do like Fenders and am covered for a Strat and Tele right now. 

On paper what I'd like is a sub 9lb, ideally 8.5lb Les Paul, but I'd consider other instruments as well, Singlecut PRS and possibly a CU22/Standard 22.  Basically something 24.75"-25" scale and dual humbuckers, more traditional kind of solidbody vibe vs metal as I have metal stuff covered.

Whatever I purchase will be getting an evertune bridge.  There really isn't much/any choice in the EU for off the shelf traditional type guitars with evertunes, though you can order Les Paul Studios with Evertunes direct from the company.

I'm very happy with my current evertune guitars, and initially thought about getting one fitted to either my Les Paul or Singlecut but given the injuries I've had this year I've decided much as I think they're incredible sounding instruments I'd rather just play something less heavy... they're both sat in cases and I mainly play my MIM Tele with evertune and my LTD MH1000ET (super strat with evertune).
  • Do dating web sites show their weights ????

Well, I'm a lot heavier than any of my guitars.

It's an injury thing and the way I feel about guitars is I'd rather have slightly less than the ideal guitar, and be able to play it.  Even though I think my Les Paul sounds monstrous, if I can't play it stood up it's kind of pointless and that's why it's been sat in its case for months and I've been playing a pointy LTD instead.
  • What you got yur eye on, mate? Sorry to hear that.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited November 2018
    What you got yur eye on, mate? Sorry to hear that.

Cheers.  Just one of those things!

Ideally something along the lines of a lightweight Les Paul or PRS 22 fret.
    tFB Trader
    Do dating web sites show their weights ????

Well, I'm a lot heavier than any of my guitars.

It's an injury thing and the way I feel about guitars is I'd rather have slightly less than the ideal guitar, and be able to play it.  Even though I think my Les Paul sounds monstrous, if I can't play it stood up it's kind of pointless and that's why it's been sat in its case for months and I've been playing a pointy LTD instead.
    Hope it didn't sound like I was taking the p*ss

I hear such issues with many players, especially Gibson based - Granted you'll find a lighter SG, but then is it the guitar you like/want - You'll find the odd chambered, or semi hollow LP based guitar - same question - I heard of a guy a few years ago with such an issue ref back/shoulder  - He had an 80's LP - He had a repairer leave the front as is, so it looked correct, but turn it over and it was /carved out, to remove most of the wood from the body - Other than the area around the pick-ups + bridge and tailpiece, it was totally devoid of wood - I only saw the pics, so how it sounded I don't know, but obviously some compromise required, but he still had a guitar that looked like an LP with the neck he liked and had played for years

I would not do that to a regular LP, but if needs must, then maybe a Tokai converted or an LP Studio might be an option - Just a thought
  • No worries I understood it was a joke.

My Les Paul is weight relieved already and still weighs over 11lb, I’m concerned there isn’t enough that could be removed from it to make it a reasonable weight.

A Studio would be on the radar for sure. That’s part of what started my whole journey with evertune bridges. The last Blink 182 album was tracked on a modded LP Studio with an evertune bridge, and that’s a band that would easily have access to all kinds of instruments. 

you can get lightweight ones. My R9 is under 8lb unchambered. I think there was a time a number of years back when Gibson made some chambered historic that were silly light (around 7lbs). Perhaps have a look for one of those?

Otherwise I believe the les Paul axcess was pretty light too.