Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your favourite amp

What's Hot

Comments

• gordijigordiji Frets: 794
    Fuengi said:
    I've not played many 'classic' amps so will also be interested.

My favourite amp I have played is a Fender Super Sonic 22, so that's the height of my experience. 

It's good to see some love for the SS22, i thought i was in the minority of 1 here at FB. It too is my fave.... but i've also owned , played & gigged the Super 60, 'Evil Twin' reverb & the venerated prosonic.  Whilst it's a bit hissy the clean channel is fabulous & the dirt channel so versatile. I can coax most sounds out of it (at reasonable vol) that come out of my ceriatone yeti 2204 clonish head.
    So for half the price of the mesa V.35 which i sent back the SS 22 has cured my amp gas. (it's also quieter than the v35 when you factor in the noisy unswitchable fan ! ) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3097
    Owned/own: Peavey JSX

overall: Mesa Mark IV
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    Favourite i have owned/own is my Laney LA30BL. 
    One's i've tried that i've really liked are the Marshall 2525h, JCM800, Mesa MK3 and Orange Rocker 32. 
    Loads on my list i want to try though!
  • gordiji said:
    Fuengi said:
    I've not played many 'classic' amps so will also be interested.

My favourite amp I have played is a Fender Super Sonic 22, so that's the height of my experience. 

It's good to see some love for the SS22, i thought i was in the minority of 1 here at FB. It too is my fave.... but i've also owned , played & gigged the Super 60, 'Evil Twin' reverb & the venerated prosonic.  Whilst it's a bit hissy the clean channel is fabulous & the dirt channel so versatile. I can coax most sounds out of it (at reasonable vol) that come out of my ceriatone yeti 2204 clonish head.
    So for half the price of the mesa V.35 which i sent back the SS 22 has cured my amp gas. (it's also quieter than the v35 when you factor in the noisy unswitchable fan ! ) 
    I owned a SS22 for a couple of years but struggled with the hiss and non-linearity issues at anything less than gig volume.  As a concept, it's brilliant and I've always been on the lookout for a better designed and built version of the same thing.  Maybe Boogie Express?
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246

Favourite (and currently owned) is a Kustom 36' Coupe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yamaha DG80. 
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    All of my current amps
    Marshall JMP 2104
    Marshall JMP 2204
    Marshall JMP 2203
    Marshall JCM 800 2204
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 794
    uncledick said:

I owned a SS22 for a couple of years but struggled with the hiss and non-linearity issues at anything less than gig volume.  As a concept, it's brilliant and I've always been on the lookout for a better designed and built version of the same thing.  Maybe Boogie Express?
    As a side note i do play quite loud at home having no neighbours and you're quite right that it sounds best at gig vol, although that"s not that loud nowadays ! Quiet playing is done with my roland cube.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12542
    I really haven't played many but playing my princeton with strat and tubescreamer is as good at it gets for me I think.  Although if I get restless (not likely of course : ) I'd like to try a tone king falcon like the look of them.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    I'm tempted to say the current amp I have now as a kind of 'cop out' answer, but apart from that, the Orange OR100 I owned a couple of years back just slayed. The clean channel was a bit ordinary and it didn't really take certain drive pedals well, but the dirt channel with a TS and/or Pharaoh Fuzz sounded fucking IMMENSE.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    CAA/Suhr PT50 has been my main amp since 2010.
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 372
    edited December 2018
    I've used to have a Line 6 DT 25  which was amazing versatile and perfect for a covers band, I now use a Mesa Boogie V/25 which is really small for carting about but which is stupid loud. - very useful for super clean and rock. 
    I also have a Marshall JMP-1 Midi pre-amp which is great for studio use.  
    My favorite is a Brunnetti Pleximan that I have, it's such a warm sound.  
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 900
    Cornford Hellcat.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2275
    Matchless Lightning or Sampson Era Bad Cat Balck Cat 30. Sound very similar. 
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618
    JezWynd said:
    Fot me, my favourite two amps I've ever owned aret the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or the Fender Greta. Had quite a few more expensive efforts since but nothing has been nicer than those two for my type of playing.

If I had the space for the HRD again I'd be happy. The Greta is sadly now hard to find locally and shot up in price considerably
    Did you use the Greta's internal speaker or ext? I've been tempted by one of these a couple of times, the aux in could be really handy, plus the table top friendliness, but I've always been a bit put off by the speaker.

I regret selling my Greta, cute thing. Mainly used it on it's speaker but for fun I put it thro an Engl Pro 2x12 horizontal cab with V30 and it sounded huge. Kicks quite a punch for a wee fella
  • For me it's the Orange Dark Terror. People may sneer (certainly some of the guys on the Orange forum did) but it's the perfect amp for me. I've had two of them and if I was to put together another regular gigging band I'd buy another one without hesitation
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've owned some really great amps in my time, all were used for gigging, rehearsals and recording.

My favourites would be:
     Low-Mid Gain - Budda Superdrive 18
     Mid Gain - Mesa Stiletto Ace
     Mid-High Gain - Brunetti Maranello 

Underrated sleeper: Crate BV60

I play direct using a Helix now and none of these amps are modelled, I'm hoping that with the new line6 marketplace companies like Brunetti wade in!
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    Victoria double deluxe is probably still my favourite but the amp I miss the most is the Morgan SW. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16275
    Carr Rambler....clean...unbeatable for what it does 
      Gartone Bluesman.....crunch......better version of Lazy J IMO
     Carr "the Bloke"......lead.....brutal

If I had to choose one amp for everything Brunetti Pleximan or Rambler with a Tumnus and KOT
  • Lazy J20 for me.. so much fun!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom