Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2019 - Year of the Telecaster...???

What's Hot
Once upon a time I owned four telecasters but found myself seduced by Les Pauls, Gretches and jazz boxes so I sold and traded down to one. On Friday I played a gig at work for a colleague’s retirement do (just a bit of fun and not my usual stuff) and I used my last remaining tele, a MIM tele custom i kept for sentimental reasons...and now I can’t stop playing it. I’m seriously thinking of getting rid of some of these usurper guitars and replacing them all with various different configuration teles! 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Don't think that's wise - just like you're loving the change to a Tele right now, in the future you might love the change back to another model.

A Tele is the one guitar that's always on my mind as a guitar I'll probably want at some point but keep talking myself out of it any time the purchase becomes imminent. So 2019 may be the year of the Tele for me too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    Don't think that's wise - just like you're loving the change to a Tele right now, in the future you might love the change back to another model.

A Tele is the one guitar that's always on my mind as a guitar I'll probably want at some point but keep talking myself out of it any time the purchase becomes imminent. So 2019 may be the year of the Tele for me too!
    Since when did I come here to get good advice?!? You’re right of course...i think...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    You can’t go wrong with a Tele, one guitar that is always useful
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Er, no. As with Les Pauls, in spite of owning several Teles over the years, I don’t much like them. Lousy ergonomics and not ‘that’ different from a Strat....
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not ‘that’ different from a Strat....
    ...but so much better
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1361
    Once upon a time I owned four telecasters but found myself seduced by Les Pauls, Gretches and jazz boxes so I sold and traded down to one. On Friday I played a gig at work for a colleague’s retirement do (just a bit of fun and not my usual stuff) and I used my last remaining tele, a MIM tele custom i kept for sentimental reasons...and now I can’t stop playing it. I’m seriously thinking of getting rid of some of these usurper guitars and replacing them all with various different configuration teles! 
    Why get rid of any guitar that you will almost certainly "need" to replace at a later date, upon realising the folly of your actions. You have already proven this with your unwise previous telecaster sale debacle.

Simply buy yourself some telecasters, preferably expensive vintage and custom shop examples, and retain your other guitars.

Mistakes are fine if you only make them once.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve been on the guitar merry go round. I always come back to Teles. I have 5 at the moment, all different configurations. Nothing else feels as good as a Telecaster. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I don’t like Teles simples
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't have one but hopefully 2019 will be my year of the Tele! :) 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2239
    A white/blonde tele with rosewood board could be my next purchase.  Just waiting for the right one to come up.

Love nocasters but can't do big necks any more.
    Fishboy7 said:
    A white/blonde tele with rosewood board could be my next purchase.  Just waiting for the right one to come up.

I'm not a fingerboardist but rosewood on a Tele is just morally wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    Fishboy7 said:

I'm not a fingerboardist but rosewood on a Tele is just morally wrong
    That’s because gentleman prefer blondes. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    I've got to admit I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with my Tele.

I really like how you can feel it resonate when played, and it sounds fantastic. But the square edges annoy me after a while. Even more since I've lost some natural padding the past few months!

I should really work on getting a Strat with some better pickups, as it's my current favourite due to being so comfy to sit and noodle with, but it sounds poor plugged in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • m_c said:

I really like how you can feel it resonate when played, and it sounds fantastic. But the square edges annoy me after a while. Even more since I've lost some natural padding the past few months!

I should really work on getting a Strat with some better pickups, as it's my current favourite due to being so comfy to sit and noodle with, but it sounds poor plugged in.
    Really?!? You can’t be skinnier than Keef, can you?!?
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251
    m_c said:

I generally play slouching in front of the computer, so the square edge/weight really dig in at times. I know it's poor form, but I like to noodle when thinking about problems. Sat up in a decent chair/stood up it's fine, but that's not very often just now.
    m_c said:
    m_c said:

I generally play slouching in front of the computer, so the square edge/weight really dig in at times. I know it's poor form, but I like to noodle when thinking about problems. Sat up in a decent chair/stood up it's fine, but that's not very often just now.
    Slab bodies are definitely not as comfortable or ergonomic as contoured.

That's why I'm puzzled by people liking Teles with non-traditional pickup configs - if not for the specific Tele sound then why not go for a more comfortable body shape?
  • thegummy said:
    m_c said:
    m_c said:

Slab bodies are definitely not as comfortable or ergonomic as contoured.

That's why I'm puzzled by people liking Teles with non-traditional pickup configs - if not for the specific Tele sound then why not go for a more comfortable body shape?
    The first Tele’s I saw weren’t standard 2 single coil configurations. I was checking out guys like Albert Collins and Keith Richards. A ‘bucker in the neck is a mod almost as old as the Tele itself. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    Played a mate's MIM thinline deluxe today and now I want a black deluxe. Always fancied them a bit. After a fattish gloss neck. Would probs get some Mojo WRHBs
  • 2018 is the year of the Telecaster here.....got my first one just a few months ago.