Luminlay Dots has anyone used them?

What's Hot
KevSKevS Frets: 512
edited December 2018 in Making & Modding
Having to play really dark stages, or dark seeming stages is a nightmare at times..My eyesight is getting way worse too..
Has anybody used the Luminlay dots that replace the side dots.
If so, have you any results you can report back..  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 328
    edited December 2018

I think he's on here, 

@WezV ; will know

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 512
    Thanks for the Help... :)
  • SimoSimo Frets: 46
    Jaycee said:

He is ;-)

Personally, I think they're great. I use them on pretty much everything I build. A few seconds shining a mini UV torch on each inlay, and they'll glow nice and bright for the whole gig (unless you're playing Springsteen length sets). Always had good service/speedy delivery from Meister Works too. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Right,,That is good to know....I may have to do hour and a quarter sets later on next year..If they glow long enough for those I am sorted...Most sets seem to be between half and hour and 45 minutes though... :)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5009
    I've got a couple of basses where you just plain can't see the dots at all, even in light; I keep telling myself I should just learn to play them.
  • Yep - I had exactly the same thing on my lightweight Jaden Tele, so I bought some Luminlay, gathered my nuts and went at it.

It's actually pretty easy. The process for each dot is...

1 - Make a dent in the exact centre of the existing dot with a pin.

2 - Get a drill bit of exactly the same size as the Luminlay, and - by hand - use the pin indentation from #1 to guide the drill bit, put some pressure on and twist slowly until you've got rid of all of the old dot material. The hole should be 2-3mm deep, in theory.

3 - Dip the very tip of your Luminlay stick in some superglue, and seat it in the hole.

4 - Leave it for 30 seconds, then use snips to cut the Luminlay stick off as close to the wood as you can manage.

Repeat these until you've done them all. Then...

5 - Masking tape off between all the dots.

6 - Get a file and file down the Luminlay nubs until you can't do any more without tearing the tape.

7 - Sand them down smooth with a sanding block, starting with 3-400 grit sandpaper, then 600, then 800, then 1500 (carry on to 2000 if you really want it shiny-smooth).

You're done! You might find it easiest to take the neck off first and clamp it. I didn't, so a couple of the dots at the dusty end of the fretboard aren't quite filed/sanded down as much as they should be.

I'm going to do this on my self-built N4-alike at some point - I've got the Luminlay for it (the blue one with the black outer circle), I just need to find the time.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    I normally trim them down with a razor blade rather than file.. the material is fairly soft so cuts easily. And you can get very close is you are comfortable with the blade

I only ordered a small amount to try years ago and have had about 4-5 guitars worth out of it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited December 2018
    WezV said:
    I normally trim them down with a razor blade rather than file.. the material is fairly soft so cuts easily. And you can get very close is you are comfortable with the blade

I only ordered a small amount to try years ago and have had about 4-5 guitars worth out of it
    Good call - I thought that might split the material, so I didn't try it. However, that would definitely get better yield...my way gets about one and a half guitars' worth out of a single stick, and with the amount I had to trim off I'd imagine you'd probably get just about two guitars from a single stick.
    <space for hire>
  • Yup - I use them on most of my builds too.  Just about to fit them to a bass I'm building (soon after Christmas) - I'll take a few photos of the process I use (pretty much as above)...
    Thank you so much for all the advice...
  • I've got a Feline Lion (LP) and Kemp with them on - great if you're gigging in low light - nice solution and even in proper day light they look good too.

They now do numbered control knobs too - which I think look nifty:

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I had them installed on my P-Bass - they're so cool!

If you're doing an hour long set you might have to recharge during the set but it only takes seconds to charge each dot with the little light pen thing.
  • Yup - I use them on most of my builds too.  Just about to fit them to a bass I'm building (soon after Christmas) - I'll take a few photos of the process I use (pretty much as above)...

Here are some photos of the ones just fitted:

I accurately marked the position:

I used a bradpoint drill so it wouldn't wander:

So now I had a hole:

Then, after a trial fit, a drop of superglue on the bottom of the luminlay stick and pushed it firmly and fully into the hole:

Once the superglue was set, I popped a bit of masking tape over to protect the neck and used a razor saw to cut it nearly flush:

Then I used a scalpel (very sharp chisel is also OK) to trim flush:

And job done :)

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Amazing info, thanks very much..Do you know what size of dot you used,?  they look bang on the right size..
  • The big ones are 5mm od with a 3mm visible glow inside.  If you look past where the body meets the neck, you'll see a smaller one - that one is 3mm od with a 2mm glow dot
    Thank you..That's brilliant
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4250
    *Necrobump* Are there any UK/EU stockists for these? I see R&K has an alternative by Incudo too
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3347
    edited July 2020
    I ordered mine from.China (cheaper) along with a pen torch to light/charge them up. Arrived quickly and no issue and I had them installed on a bass by a Luthier for £30.

They work well and make a difference. Just make sure you get the right size as too big and they look gimmicky
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4304
    Kebabkid said:
    I ordered mine from.China (cheaper) along with a torch. Arrived quickly and no issue and I had them installed on a bass by a Luthier for £30.

They work well and make a difference. Just make sure you get the right size as too big and they look gimmicky
    £30 squid seems an excellent price for installing, well done , brilliant aren’t they
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    So that’s what those dot markers are that I’ve seen, on builds, around here..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.