Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What are your guitar playing/gear goals for 2019?

What's Hot

Comments

• p90fool said:
    Gig less, ride my motorcycles more. 
    Good call. Gigs are "work" for you, aren't they? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm 63 next month and been playing nut and barre chords for as long as I can remember.  I've always worked hard and I managed to retire last week.  Lots of things planned, especially more time on the guitar with a view to becoming a better than basic player.
    Thats awesome, congratulations to ya!
    Great news, congrats. Enjoy your retirement.

Thank you guys, very kind of you to comment..  It hasn't sunk in yet, still think I'm going back to work after the festive holidays.  Wife has retired same time too.  I'm already practising alternate picking !!
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Gear - build a jazz master and tele, re build my own strat. I’ll give myself 4 months per project and work them in with the customer orders. This is the first year I’ve clawed back to something that resembles a proper set up after sacrificing it all to start the business. I’ll do my best to add a second amp without selling the Lonestar (that’s still debatable as to whether it can be done!).

As far as playing goes, I’m going to keep my guitar in the house for now (instead of in the workshop). Hopefully I’ll can get an hour every day on it and start experimenting again :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I want to play a bit more - as Ive spent the last year focused on Keyboards.  My guitar playing fell drastically.  I also spent a lot of keys gear, so I plan to stop that for a while (I have a decent set up now) and save for an AFX 3.
  • Been a busy 3 years with the work and business thing
    Get back to Song Writing (not even installed Logic on my Mac or any music stuff)
    Get my playing too a place where I am happy again not been there for years. 
    Finish all the fix em up and guitar projects in various states of completion and parts in boxes LOL.

Gear think I want one of the Helix Hx things
    Would be happy to get the projects finished this year that would give me enough new toys LOL
    But if I have the money a Valley Arts or another PRS would be nice.  But can never justify the money VA people want.

So a busy year lets see what gets sorted ask me next year. LOL

• AlexOAlexO Frets: 1102
    Playing : I've joined a new band so I want to stick with it and start gigging again on a regular basis. 
    I'm going to concentrate on theory this year and take some lessons. Iron out any bad habits.

Gear : I swapped, sold a crazy amount of guitars last year and started to annoy myself with it by the end. I want a really good tele or Strat for this new band and then I'm going to try and stick with them.

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    More than anything I'd like a direction. I play acoustic  in the pub and that's great, as are the other guys I play with, but, I'd like to find a group where we can work up a set we can play well and gig a bit further afield every couple weeks or so. I'd also like to record some of the tunes from the pub sessions and record them well, maybe get a few cd's printed.

Gearwise.. I kinda fancy an acoustic bass, after playing one during the lead up to and over Christmas. I doubt I'll get one though as it's probably just a whim.

I also want something with a trem. Bigsby or similar for subtle, gentle wobble. I'm tempted to put one on either my Tele or 335 but don't want to ruin either...
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682
    After a frustrating year trying to put a band together, late last summer I joined an existing band and was out gigging within weeks.  in 2019 I want to continue with this lot (having a lot of fun so far) and play a lot more gigs.  I also want to do some recordings of us (to go on our web site but also to help us improve).  I've learned that I don't have time to do the live (covers) stuff and write / record original material, so I'm just going to focus on live.

No planned music purchases - which means that I'll still spend too much in 2019, I just know on what right now.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Music wise there are a few songs I want to learn, mainly FREE/Kossoff stuff.

Gear wise I'm not in need of anything but I must get off my lazy arse and fit all the upgraded parts I bought for my Strat and Les Paul.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I just want to gig, to audiences. A local band has asked me to guest with them. so I’m going too. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5693
    I'd like to actually have a direction for my playing.  I'm fed up of noodling in the house, it'd be nice to play with other people (careful) again, join a band, just do something.

As for gear, there's nothing I need, per se, but I fancy building an amp, I have a guitar to finish building and I'd like a Les Paul Special with twin P90s.  That said there's not a great deal of point unless the first goal is realised.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7854
    munckee said:
    Right this is a guitar forum for guitar nerds. You people saying you don't want to buy any more need to take a good look at yourselves. 

@Paul_C  have you got a link to your YouTube page?

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1283
    To not buy any more gear or guitars as am really happy with my set up at the moment.

Playing wise, to try and become more consistent. I’m getting quite frustrated by only playing my best about 5% of the time. I don’t need to learn do anything new or different, I just need to play as well as I know I can much more often.
  • Honestly, just get a new album out. I've just assembled a beast of a board, and though it might need a few extra tweaks and maybe a few pedal swaps, it's pretty much golden for the new stuff.

Bye!

• Play more gigs. We have a few club dates lined up for next year, but am still toying with hooking up with a vocalist for a two piece as well
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4970
    I've got a few part-built projects I'd like to finish off.

Amp-wise I need another Markbass head and have a couple of things to lose.

Guitar-wise I'm there or thereabouts, maybe need to lose a couple.

Bass wise I need another Ric, to rationalise my 5-strings, and to lose a few.

I nearly had the Ric and a Warwick 5-string sorted this week, but the Ric seller got the 'ump and my offer and the Warwick seller was being difficult.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    I'm also quite tempted to drop a single coil sized humbucker into the neck position of my Godin Exit 22. Maybe something like a Seymour Duncan Little 59. I know they don't sound quite like a real humbucker, but I like the sound. A bit thicker and sweeter than a SC, but still with good note definition.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4733
    edited December 2018
    Not really sure to be honest. I might thin the herd a bit and sell some gear that I'm not using a lot and maybe buy one or two things.

I was thinking of getting myself an R8 but I'm now not so sure...my 1990 LP Custom is very nice so it's not as if I don't have a LP.  I might keep my eyes open for an original Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro..a green one might be nice, as I missed out on one a while back... I think I'm better off with something less valuable that I'd worry less about and gig regularly rather than something I'm only likely to play mainly at home.

FX wise I'm happy with my Tonelabs. Other than playing at home I don't tend to use amps anymore so I'm not looking to buy any more amps and might sell one or two. 

I'd like to gig a bit more regularly with the band than we are currently, but it's all a bit of a balancing act with work and family stuff. With the pressures and demands of a new job I probably won't be able to do a lot more gigging until I retire, and I'm not sure when that will be yet. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Buy more, play less*

*main resolution is not to kid myself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Definitely be thinning the herd in a few months ,

also I need to stop buying pickups I don't need.

...and actually practise.