Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What are your guitar playing/gear goals for 2019?

What's Hot

Comments

• to pay off all the shit I bought in 2018

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • .....to play with other people.....20 odd years in a room and it's starting to get to me......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ionianionian Frets: 100
    edited December 2018
    Guitar playing: get back to a competent standard for playing with / in front of other people, be that acoustic or electric.

Gear: Having just bought a new practice amp, acoustic and electric, don't buy anything else. But realistically I need to spend some time with my old gear and work out what works, what can be salvaged, and what needs replacing. Hopefully my performance amp has survived in the garage - and my Zoom 1010 (remember them?) can still be used - at least for compression, eq and delay effects.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3335
    DeeTee said:
    Playing wise, I've been getting back into it quite heavily. I want to continue in that vein, push myself, bother to learn whole songs, and play with others a lot more  Basically, keep putting in the effort.

Gear wise, it's my 40th next year, and once we've bought a place, I want to treat myself to my first really good guitar. For me, that doesn't mean something like an R8, as it's not my taste. I had hoped to find a decent guitar from my year of birth, but it seems like most things from 1979 aren't actually that good.

I'm currently dealing with strong GAS for a Fender Blacktop Jaguar. That might happen. 
    I had one that I installed a DiMarzio HS2 single into the neck position. Was a glorious guitar. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    1-Live somewhere where I’m allowed to play  through my amp. 
    2-Finish writing the album I started. 
    3-Learn to record. 
    4-Buy the Jackson Soloist that’s waiting for me. 
    5-Stay sober. (Day 132 today). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    edited December 2018
    Play more......by finding somwhere other than home that I can practice in, and make some noise. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Main goal is to continue regular gigging (including managing the difficult politics of a band together a few years now when differences of opinion arise plus all the core organisation that goes with the same band) and jam night activity both running and attending others.  Maybe start another muso type band but on the understanding that gigs for that kind of band are way more limited than the general covers/entertainment band (sad but true).  
  • No more guitars 

Play more with others
  • I’m converting my old Encore Strat into a single pickup EVH style beast (done this before with a Squier) and later on in the year, I might look to move on my LP Tribute for something with a single pickup...
  • I play in a covers band, and when it comes to guitar parts and solos I tend to just improvise  but this year I'd like to learn the actual recorded solos  just so I have them under the fingers.
  • Re-focus, find more time to play. Drink less on weekends and use the time for guitar related stuff.

Record and write songs. A Focusrite Itrack solo arrived today. To this I plan to add monitoring speakers, a condenser mic and a cheap bass, a Squire jazz or a Sire V3. Use my Ipad to it's full music producing capabilities.

Learn more songs, whole songs. I've started with working my way through Since I've Been Loving You.

I want to play with others but current parenting regime makes this seem impossible, so will try to share some music online and with friends. Perhaps gain confidence by performing for friends and family.

Long term gear goal, a Jaguar, after having a go on @thermionic 's awesome red Jag.  

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    edited January 2019
    To not buy any guitars or amps. Instead, focus entirely on my playing and work on things that I've always felt lacking in ( chords, ear training)
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Gear
    Try to have enough self discipline not to buy something on impulse just because I happen to have money in my PayPal account.

Playing
    Practice more consistently; learn more songs and play them regularly enough that I don't keep forgetting them; get better at barre chords

Recording
    Actually do something with Reaper instead of paying for the 1 year license and then not touching it for 11 months :'(
  • Gear

To see how i get on with attempting the switch to digital - purchased an Atomic Amplifire in December but haven't really used it 'in anger' yet so will be a learning curve I'm sure.

I'm sure I'll end up chopping and changing guitars throughout the year, but priority No. 1 is to upgrade to a better bass after cutting my teeth with an old beaten up £90 Squier.

Playing

Gigging. Lots more gigging. That was also my resolution at the start of 2018 and never quite came to fruition, but this time I'm gonna not piss about. (Famous last words!)
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3222
    Alnico said:
    Just celebrate that one for a moment, getting past day 100 was a major milestone. Keep the good work up.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    Lee1974 said:
    .....to play with other people.....20 odd years in a room and it's starting to get to me......
    I started doing this with local jams a couple of months ago in a similar situation (about 15 years for me) - do it!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:
    Just celebrate that one for a moment, getting past day 100 was a major milestone. Keep the good work up.
    Thank you, that's kind of you.
    I celebrate each day as it comes.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Playing wise, I want to:
    1. Record our debut long player
    2. Release aforementioned LP on a label
    3. Play further afield than the South
    4. Play some festivals
    5. Do a mini tour
    Gear wise, I want to:
    1. Shift my MiJ LP and Strat partscaster
    2. Get a beaten up LP or SG 
    3. Not buy or trade another guitar after 1. and 2. are done.
    4. Probably get a nice 4x12
    5. Maybe build a uni-vibe type pedal
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
    Chris_J said:
    More than anything I'd like a direction. I play acoustic  in the pub and that's great, as are the other guys I play with, but, I'd like to find a group where we can work up a set we can play well and gig a bit further afield every couple weeks or so. I'd also like to record some of the tunes from the pub sessions and record them well, maybe get a few cd's printed.

Gearwise.. I kinda fancy an acoustic bass, after playing one during the lead up to and over Christmas. I doubt I'll get one though as it's probably just a whim.

I also want something with a trem. Bigsby or similar for subtle, gentle wobble. I'm tempted to put one on either my Tele or 335 but don't want to ruin either...
    Gearwise update: 

I tried a Taylor GS Bass. Fun, volume, well made, floppy. At least that's how it made me feel...

I bought a Bigsby B6 and a Towner down tension bar for my 335. Love it and so far tuning stability and tone don't seem massively affected.

http://i.imgur.com/CWldmeG.jpg

Still working on the playing more goal, though my first day off of year is still a few weeks away.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Fascinating thread to read through.  Thought-provoking stuff.

Good luck to all with your ambitions...

Personally?

(1) Downsize.  Shift a bunch of extremely pretty but utterly extraneous kit that I don't use.
    (2) REALLY consider what I DO like/use and start using that (linked to (1), above).
    (3) Stop obsessing over gear I really have no need or use for.
    (4) Play and practise more (using all the time saved by (3)).
    (5) Work my way through the Eric Haugen tutorials of Marc Ribot assistance on '80s Tom Waits records.
    (6) Maybe - just maybe - go for the big one and tentatively start working my way through the Trinity Grade 8 syllabus.

Happy new year to all x
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer