reverb always on?

What's Hot
bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 565
I always have reverb on and was what the general consensus was?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    A little bit, most of the time. Sometimes I have a shedload on if I'm wigging out.
    I always used to hate reverb and love delay. Now, the less delay I use the more I like reverb.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    My pet petty annoyance!

For home playing a bit of reverb most of the time but for live use in most places reverb just gets lost or adds to general mushyness and is best left for use as a Peter Green/ Dick Dale / whoever style special effect. Slapback/ short delays often work better live than reverb as they are less mushy.*

Having said that Jim Campilongo has his reverb on live ( all hail the mighty Jim!) most of the time. But he is using mostly clean sounds and working within the context of a small jazz style set up.

So horses for courses really but there is a lot of pointless reverb use out there IMHO.   

*technical term
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Always on. Sometimes deep, usually just background. I just prefer the tone with it on, it makes the guitar sound bigger and more open.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    rarely on, usually use a tiny bit of delay instead, it's less mushy
  • Always on at home, just a little splash of plate or spring to fill in the gaps. Never been so keen on great big cathedral sounds though, although I occasionally use a "special effects" reverb either as a toneprint or one of the ethereal settings on my trinity. I also have a bit of delay on most of the time, a quiet 100ms or so.
  • matt1973matt1973 Frets: 387
    Bit of an aside really, but In general studio production I am led to believe that, as a rule of thumb, Reverb length should be no longer than a minim (2 beats).
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    A touch of both reverb and delay.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I used to use reverb pedals as an extra sprinkling.

Reverb on amp on constantly then have a real ambient reverb set on pedal so I can activate as required.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10363
    The only time i don't use reverb is when I'm not playing guitar...

Also, thanks matt1973, id forgotten since my classical days how great a word minim truly is
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    Always on with various added delays at a single time :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I used to have reverb on to deepen the sound a little but since I bought an amp that doesn't have reverb I don't miss it anymore. It was strange at first and I bought a stomp box but rarely use it now. I actually prefer my live tone without it.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Always on for cleanish tones.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    ICBM said:
    Always on. Sometimes deep, usually just background. I just prefer the tone with it on, it makes the guitar sound bigger and more open.
    this…something about a touch of reverb that does this...
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    The Neunaber Stereo Wet (or the Big Sky) set with a long decay and the mix at noon or just below is for me a crucial ingredient of getting a huge, epic sound at home volumes. Combined with a decent OD and a bit of tone shaping to boost the low end it tricks the brain into perceiving a sound much bigger and louder than it is

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    I use a bit these days, mainly because I bought a Princeton Reverb, so I'm damned if I'm not gonna use something I paid so much for!

I often use "no reverb" as an effect though, it can really make a solo pop out, Killer Queen-style.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I was told rather confusingly in college "if you can hear it, then you have too much on" :-S. I always have a smattering of reverb. But big cave sounding reverbs are also fully justified in my book.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I used to think it sounded really one dimensional without a bit of reverb.  Better quality amps have shown me otherwise but I like a touch on my clean tone.  I do like to go a bit epic with the Supernatural however.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    It depends entirely on the context of your music, are you the only guitar playing scarce parts? Go nuts. Are there other instruments and are you playing busy parts? Not a good idea.
  • If I'm at home - always on to a greater or lesser extent

If playing with other human beans - usually off unless the song/part of the song specifically calls for it
  • DrJazzTap said:
    I was told rather confusingly in college "if you can hear it, then you have too much on" 
    I've also heard that about compression. 

Or possibly depression.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom