Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Porsche Cayenne - anyone owned one?

What's Hot

Comments

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    The Jaguar SUV is lovely.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2099
    Hattigol said:
    Mmmm...except its a range rover inside...they do look ok though.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3685
    Disco's can be mapped to give some decent performance, ive seen Rangies spit flames, its a shame posh landys drive like barges.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • If you want reliability and comfort....Lexus RX.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16279
    spark240 said:
    Hattigol said:
    Mmmm...except its a range rover inside...they do look ok though.
    No the Jags are loveland drive really well but they are very expensive to begin with for what they are .
    X6 is a great car too -far better looker than a Cayenne.
    They are all at their best 5 years old where they have done 40,000 as a housewife school run car but depreciated immensely and are a lot of car for the money
     To some degree I don't see the point of the Cayenne........it doesn't perform like a sports car and isn't intended to be one so why pay for a Porsche that doesn't do a Porsche job...........£25 000 worth of Panamera is a much better car 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    edited January 2019
    I’m quite tempted by the Panamera.  I know ‘Top Gear’ think they’re ugly, but I really like them. 

Im on the lookout for a nice Cayman S, but could be turned...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16279
    Panamera......Ugly at first......but the more you look at them the more the eye becomes accustomed ........I think because we are trained visually to expect the 996 shape and it looks wrong
    A bit like the flattened 5th........it's totally wrong but years of blues influenced music has conditioned us to like it 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    If I had to get a gas guzzling 4 wheel drive I'd get a Land Rover Discovery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They really are the perfect city car.

According to about half of fucking Cambridge  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The older (cheaper) Cayenne’s are supposed to suffer from the same issue as BMW’s, the nicasil (sp?) coating in the cylinders wears requiring a rebuild (v8’s). The v6’s are VW engines which are also problematic (according to a mechanic friend). 

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2099
    The older (cheaper) Cayenne’s are supposed to suffer from the same issue as BMW’s, the nicasil (sp?) coating in the cylinders wears requiring a rebuild (v8’s). The v6’s are VW engines which are also problematic (according to a mechanic friend). 

It’s fair to say that virtually every car is problematic according to someone..

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6269
    spark240 said:
    looking for A sporty SUV...looked at a Cayenne, seems great .

I’m well aware of the obvious running cost etc...more about reliability, day to day use and so on.

New or used? New ones won't be available for maybe a year.

What engine? I had the diesel for an extended test drive. It was nicely made, good handling, but slow. Surprised me tbh.

I am on my third X6.

First one was a 2012 3.0, which was faster than the Cayenne. Had a 2015 (new shape) 3.0D which was faster still, and all round better inside, similar amazing handling. That was written off, parked outside my house, by an old dear who ploughed into it. Luckily I had the gap insurance, so on the back of that I got a new X6, but went for the M50D. December 2016 model.

That is a brutally quick beast. The chassis is superb, it really does handle like a coupe, and is fantastic to drive. For a car that is just shy of 400BHP, and hits 60 in 5 secs, it will do about 38 mpg on the motorway at a constant 80, if you drive at 70 it will do early to mid 40s. It only revs at around 1700 when doing 80, so is pretty good on fuel, and v quiet. Tax is 260 quid or something like that, insurance pretty good too.

More to the point, it makes a massive good noise when you put it in Sport mode and put your foot down. Never ceases to put a huge grin on my face every time. The handling takes some believing it really does.

Yep, some people think they are ridiculous, ugly, pointless etc, but I don't care about that. I like it. Big inside, plenty of room for 4 adults, boot will take 4 full size suitcases as well, just.

Macan - not for me, they don't look good. You might as well get a Q5, or a VW Tiguan. Same floor plan. Smaller than you think too.

Range Rover Sport - had one of those for a few weeks when my car was smashed up. It was the higher powered 3.0D Dynamique. V nice inside, and good to drive, quite quick, but not as sharp or as fast as the X6. And there are a lot of them about. I wouldn't say its sporty, but they are nice get about in. One big problem (bigger than you'd initially think) is that the infotainment system on pre 2017 models is really bad. Slow and clunky. Worse still, you have to use it to access quite a lot of functions that you wouldn't expect as the cabin has relatively few physical buttons. It really starts to get on your nerves after a few days too. IMO it's dangerously crap as its distracting. You find yourself looking far too much in it, trying so sort stuff out and that. Not good on such an expensive car.

Panameras are lovely IMO, but only 4 seats. Seriously big too.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6414
    edited January 2019
    Neighbour had one and hated it, always breaking down. EDIT: he got an X5 instead

Much bargains to be had in s/h 4x4 Diesels at the moment.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27703
    @snap I don't think anyone driving an X6 has the right to call anything else "ugly", but glad you're happy! I do like BMW non-SUVs in general
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6269
    @snap I don't think anyone driving an X6 has the right to call anything else "ugly", but glad you're happy! I do like BMW non-SUVs in general

lol, mate, its a thing of beauty.....;)

• Snap said:

lol, mate, its a thing of beauty.....;)

I'm a big BMW fan but I can't agree. The x6 looks like someone attempted to abort it during labour. 
    I imagine it's great to drive but I'd rather have the x5 or x7. Or better still a 5/6/7 series
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12546
    I have a 2 year old Kia Sportage that smokes any cayenne or x5 I've ever played. Reluctant sale let me know if interested : )
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31135
    I had one of the first shape 4.5 S's.

Lot of bollocks being talked here, as anyone who has driven one would know that nothing will handle at that size like the Porsche and in terms of performance, it depends which one you get - nothing will live with a Turbo S. Nothing at all.

Had a petrol 3,0L X5 after and the Porsche was so so so much more frugal!

Re costs, take it to Cridfords, 400 quid service and spend a grand on their warranty which is self- underwritten and bulletproof.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• munckee said:
    I have a 2 year old Kia Sportage that smokes any cayenne or x5 I've ever played. Reluctant sale let me know if interested : )
    That smoke is probably engine failure from so few horses pulling a heavy metal carcass
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31922
    Gassage said:
    I had one of the first shape 4.5 S's.

Lot of bollocks being talked here, as anyone who has driven one would know that nothing will handle at that size like the Porsche and in terms of performance, it depends which one you get - nothing will live with a Turbo S. Nothing at all.

Except a 500 quid 30 year old motorcycle.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom