What was the first film you saw at the cinema

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I don't think I've ever seen all of bambi or The Lion King...

Saw both on VHS at friends houses, and as I'd seen most of them both I never sought out watching the rest. Hmm. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5224
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73456
    edited January 2019
    tone1 said:
    Star Wars 1977 :)
    There are a lot of us of a certain age around here ;).

(Previous comment deleted.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10143
    edited January 2019
    I think the first one I saw was Black Beauty, which a quick Google suggests was 1994 which would be about right I think. My mom left me in there for the sad bit as she allegedly needed the loo. I remember nothing else about the film other than it was about a horse that died, which I have since learnt is something that happens to every horse one way or another.

I'm not really a film person, I find the camera constantly moving to be rather hyperactive and the general concept all a little bit pretentious and indulgent. I'm not sure though that the basis of this opinion was formed on that fateful trip to the ABC in Quinton in 1994, to be fair

Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8203
    The Land That Time Forgot, 1974. 
  • @ICBM I was making a funny. Soz

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    edited January 2019
    Oh I *may* have seen "The Land That Time Forgot" first.

Blame my non brain :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3093
    edited January 2019
    Snow White - in an Ealing cinema, circa 75.  My mum took me, I watched the film while she knitted and smoked. 

The big big one was Star Wars in 77, though.  I had no idea I was going... I was six and my Dad took me to the West End and I remember walking towards The Dominion Theatre with a huge Star Wars display on the roof of the foyer.  My Dad then said, "shall we see if there's any tickets left?", (of course there were, he'd already booked them) and that was it.... the game changer.  I'll never forget the first ten minutes of that cinema experience, with that Imperial Destroyer seemingly flying directly over my head. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24102
    edited January 2019
    It's interesting reading all the comments about the impact of Star Wars. 

I think perhaps it got me at the wrong age.  I was 13 and I was totally into it at the time - I had the soundtracks, the books, the Marvel comics adaptation (but never the collectable figures, my brothers had those).  And I loved the film itself, I think, but it didn't totally blow me away.

By the time The Empire Strikes Back came out I'd discovered the devil's music... and Star Wars didn't really interest me any more.  I've watched all the subsequent films, eventually (except Solo) but the whole franchise doesn't have any special place in my heart.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73456
    I was 10 for Star Wars - 13 for Empire Strikes Back, and 16 for Return Of The Jedi which by then was mostly memorable for Carrie Fisher :). Probably just about the right age for all of them, although maybe a little old for the ending of ROTJ which seemed a bit weak.

I didn't like the Prequels at all (who does, really...), thought The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi were a bit crap, Rogue One absolutely outstanding, and Solo better than I expected - but the original trilogy still does mean a lot to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• exocetexocet Frets: 1994
    The Railway Children.