Interview with Gibsons new boss JC

What's Hot

Comments

• Maintaining the 'classic' approach the Company became loved for = good.
    Willingness to develop for the future = good.

But not a word about inconsistent QC :(
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Good to hear some enthusiasm. I have a Gibson on my shopping list which I aim to purchase in the next few years and I’m glad I waited. I think he’s what the brand needs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27619
    Maintaining the 'classic' approach the Company became loved for = good.

I suspect that’s because he knows you don’t improve a reputation by telling people you’ve got better - you do it by being better and letting people figure it out.

Everything seen this week suggests the new guys know what they’re doing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2620
    tFB Trader

Some very interesting information in here about what the company is up too.. Two of the things that struck me were when he talked about Gibson and Epiphone becoming one company. AND that they are ditching the model years? So no more yearly releases..

They really seem to at last be talking sense.. I really hope it works for them

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for putting these up @Rabs ;
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    Thanks for putting these up @Rabs ;;

Well im a huge Gibson fan as most of you know..  So this is really good news for me. Not because I intend to buy more or anything, im just glad to see them moving in what looks like a really good direction after the last 5 years or so of them making some of the most weird decisions ive ever seen. I really do hope it works and from what I can see I think it will. As long as they address the QC a bit and get the prices right.

They really do seem like they have actually listened to what the fans want.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    At least he looks like a guitarist, unlike Henry J.
    edited January 2019 tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    At least he looks like a guitarist, unlike Henry J.

He looks a bit like Negan from The Walking Dead  D

Wheres Lucille?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14677
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the posting @Rabs ; 

Looking good so far and just what many players have been looking for - Starting from such a low point for Gibson, the path now should be pretty obvious - So support this journey with improved quality and support - At this point now, I'm sure many dealers will be happy with such a pro-active approach from Gibson, hence I expect good initial sales - To continue to drive the business in 2/3 years time might be tougher so expect an initial sales curve to level of

Looking forward to a better future for Gibson

Still no news about when Chapter 11 is finally over
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5485
    Thanks for the posting @Rabs  ;

Looking good so far and just what many players have been looking for - Starting from such a low point for Gibson, the path now should be pretty obvious - So support this journey with improved quality and support - At this point now, I'm sure many dealers will be happy with such a pro-active approach from Gibson, hence I expect good initial sales - To continue to drive the business in 2/3 years time might be tougher so expect an initial sales curve to level of

Has this all not transpired fully yet?

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/10/02/gibson-guitar-bankruptcy-exit/
    tFB Trader

As far as I remember that happened in October.. Here

https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-bankruptcy-guitar-maker-to-leave-chapter-11-by-october/

I do remember reading Henry saying they had secured finance.

I also wonder and I think this is a big point, how the will now treat the shops. I know that shops had to order huge amounts of stock in order to be able to stock them in the first place. I think they should also start to sell to the smaller shops again. Maybe have a sliding scale depending on  the size of the outlet?  If they want to sell more guitars, get  them in more shops.. Seems simple enough?

tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

As far as I remember that happened in October.. Here

https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-bankruptcy-guitar-maker-to-leave-chapter-11-by-october/

I do remember reading Henry saying they had secured finance.

I also wonder and I think this is a big point, how the will now treat the shops. I know that shops had to order huge amounts of stock in order to be able to stock them in the first place. I think they should also start to sell to the smaller shops again. Maybe have a sliding scale depending on  the size of the outlet?  If they want to sell more guitars, get  them in more shops.. Seems simple enough?

The sad tale of Gibson’s financial woes has been the leading story in the guitar industry this year. After the famed guitar maker entered bankruptcy in April, trade press and financial news outlets are now reporting that Gibson looks likely to exit bankruptcy in a matter of weeks.

Taken from the first paragraph - Not seen a final confirmation
    tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:

Has this all not transpired fully yet?

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/10/02/gibson-guitar-bankruptcy-exit/

Last month, we reported that creditors were close to approving a bankruptcy exit planfor Gibson Guitar.

Now, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware has officially approved Gibson’s plans for reorganization.  Attorneys representing various parties in this case alerted Digital Music News to the development late Tuesday (October 2nd).

The court’s ratification represents the last major step prior to exiting Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.  That leaves a few formalities, and Gibson’s bankruptcy case is expected to close in early November.

Again close to approving

Expected to close

I've not seen the dot on the i and the cross on the t - maybe I've missed it but not seen the final confirmation

tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

You would hope so wouldn't you - In the UK alone many decent size towns and cities have no Gibson outlet, so that alone would start to fill a good order book
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Thanks for posting. Great interview with JC. He certainly talks the talk. I can feel the buzz in Scotland!
  • Maintaining the 'classic' approach the Company became loved for = good.

I suspect that’s because he knows you don’t improve a reputation by telling people you’ve got better - you do it by being better and letting people figure it out.

Everything seen this week suggests the new guys know what they’re doing.
    I do so much want you to be right.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8566
    Have to say they’ve done a better job that Fender this NAMM, and I’m a massive Fender fan. That TV yellow Special will be mine.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    "shaping sound through future genders" - now that's a sentiment I can get behind
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I like the possibility of seeing limited editions, and I hope they'll still innovate with some new guitars.

I also can't help feeling they've ignored potential improvements in construction to give us a more stable tuning guitar, that's stronger and less susceptible to breaks, whilst still retaining the traditional design lines. Two such being a volute, and a better body/neck joint, where the volute doesn't impact upon the body aesthetics, and if done properly a stronger neck joint won't be visually noticeable, but will be when the guitar is used. Utilising 50 year old construction techniques that ignore modern technology, knowhow and experience is rather disappointing. Even if JC didn't say it, that's the implication I take away.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    edited January 2019
    "Interview with Gibsons new boss JC"

WARNING - THIS IS THE APOSTROPHE POLICE!

Please amend your thread title with the correct apostrophe:

"Interview with Gibson's new boss JC"

Thank-you for your co-operation.