Interview with Gibsons new boss JC

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Looks good to me, like I said at some point last year, a business model like Porsche is what they need to emulate. Just a few key models which rarely change with the odd special edition. A clear focus on heritage and QC but with one eye on the future. Keep it simple. 
    Looks like they're heading in that direction, Im looking forward to these new models and where they are going. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5471
    edited January 2019
    fandango said:
    I like the possibility of seeing limited editions, and I hope they'll still innovate with some new guitars.

I also can't help feeling they've ignored potential improvements in construction to give us a more stable tuning guitar, that's stronger and less susceptible to breaks, whilst still retaining the traditional design lines. Two such being a volute, and a better body/neck joint, where the volute doesn't impact upon the body aesthetics, and if done properly a stronger neck joint won't be visually noticeable, but will be when the guitar is used. Utilising 50 year old construction techniques that ignore modern technology, knowhow and experience is rather disappointing. Even if JC didn't say it, that's the implication I take away.
    JC’s only been on the job for like 4 months! Give ‘em time - the stuff they’ve done so far is welcome, and importantly, easy. 

The more difficult tasks in design and construction could yet come, but they need to get their ducks in a row first and shed the negative perceptions that HJ left behind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Whitecat said:
    fandango said:
    I like the possibility of seeing limited editions, and I hope they'll still innovate with some new guitars.

I also can't help feeling they've ignored potential improvements in construction to give us a more stable tuning guitar, that's stronger and less susceptible to breaks, whilst still retaining the traditional design lines. Two such being a volute, and a better body/neck joint, where the volute doesn't impact upon the body aesthetics, and if done properly a stronger neck joint won't be visually noticeable, but will be when the guitar is used. Utilising 50 year old construction techniques that ignore modern technology, knowhow and experience is rather disappointing. Even if JC didn't say it, that's the implication I take away.
    JC’s only been on the job for like 4 months! Give ‘em time - the stuff they’ve done so far is welcome, and importantly, easy. 

The more difficult tasks in design and construction could yet come, but they need to get their ducks in a row first and shed the negative perceptions that HJ left behind. 
    Valid point. Have a wiz. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27499
    edited January 2019
    Whitecat said:
    fandango said:

Exactly. 

What they needed was a quick win to demonstrate the intention to right the ship. The easiest way to do that is to focus on the core line - make the LP Standard what everyone expects that to look like. I'm also impressed they've gone back to an SG Special with P90s and not the stripped down HH model of the last 20 years. That should always have been called the Studio, if anything, and I'd guess that'll get re-introduced in the coming months. 

As for tuning, the only thing you really need is a well-cut nut. My new LP Custom is a great example - the slots for the plain strings are all too tight, and have been from when it was new (2001, iirc) as the nut has original finish on its edges. It's no wonder Gibsons get a reputation for not staying in tune, but it's such a simple thing to fix, just widening the nut slots is so easy. 

Time will tell if they get that bit right as well, but I'll be very surprised if they don't.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6916
    Philtre said:
    "Interview with Gibsons new boss JC"

WARNING - THIS IS THE APOSTROPHE POLICE!

Please amend your thread title with the correct apostrophe:

"Interview with Gibson's new boss JC"

Thank-you for your co-operation.

Out of interest. Why does the apostrophe policeman choose to use unnecessary hyphens when typing thank you and cooperation? 

Oh and the new line of Gibsons is encouraging. I’d be interested in the 61 with the Lyre and the LP Special. Oh and the goldtop.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Iamnobody said:

Out of interest. Why does the apostrophe policeman choose to use unnecessary hyphens when typing thank you and cooperation? 

So that the hyphen police can get their part of the action. We have a de-al.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2963
    Philtre said:
    Iamnobody said:

So that the hyphen police can get their part of the action. We have a de-al.
    I thought he'd come up with reason's like that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27499
    Really good interview from Musicradar here - https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2019-video-gibson-ceo-jc-talks-lessons-learned-quality-control-and-whats-in-store

Sounds like a proper plan in place to improve quality in the factory (and most likely much better conditions for staff!)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires