Soldano SLO 30

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I had the MV around 2, so not super loud at all in a band context but pretty loud for home use.  The power section was nowhere near clipping, I just don't think the voltage starved 5881s liked the huge preamp signal.

Anyhow, it's going back.  It's not for me in 30w form.  I have a feeling I'd rather like the 100w version but it's too big and overly loud for the pub gigs I do.

I'll stick with the mini Jube.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587
    Twinfan said:

I have a feeling I'd rather like the 100w version but it's too big and overly loud for the pub gigs I do.
    This is what I'm trying to say...I genuinely don't think you would like the SLO 100 either. Below clipping, the Hot Rod 25 doesn't flub out compared with any of the rest of the Soldano amps, and it has the same power amp as the SLO 30; the point I'm trying to get to is "I don't think these amps are your thing, so don't even consider saving up for the 100". Trying to save you money, dude ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Gotcha - I wouldn't get a 100w for gigging again anyway, regardless of cost.  I used to use a fabulous Bogner XTC Classic which only got to 1.5-2 on the master and was a pain in the back to lug around!
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Managed about 45 min through the TAE into headphones and initial thoughts are good.

Used my 594 straight in as I appear to have a dodgy connection on my pedal board so not tried it with a boost yet which I generally almost always have something in front.

EQ pretty much set at noon presence on 3, depth 4.

Normal Clean was 6 pre and master 7.

Normal Crunch was 4 pre and master 6.

Overdrive was 4 pre and master 5.

I’m home earlier tomorrow so will be looking to see how I can better balance the clean/crunch by just using clean and using a clean boost in front see if I can balance it or it’s just a case of pick clean or crunch.

• HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    I see Robert Baker got to try one of these for his YouTube channel. It makes me want one even more, but I know for my home use it would be like buying a supercar to do the supermarket shop once-a-week.
    edited July 2020
    You can hear the large amounts of bass when he uses the Charvel, is he using an actual cab or some sort of load box/modelling cab?  I see he has the master on 6-ish, that's LOUD.

If that's the SLO tone then I think that explains why I'm not keen - thanks for pointing out his demo
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Habanero said:
    I see Robert Baker got to try one of these for his YouTube channel. It makes me want one even more, but I know for my home use it would be like buying a supercar to do the supermarket shop once-a-week.
    Sounds awesome with his Les Paul in that video! Makes me want to try a Jet City out for sure if they can get close to that sort of thing. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587
    TTBZ said:
    Habanero said:
    Sounds awesome with his Les Paul in that video! Makes me want to try a Jet City out for sure if they can get close to that sort of thing. 
    You'll have to get one second-hand - Jet City are out of production at the moment, although Doug's shown some signs of life lately. The UK store has a bunch of amps left in stock, but not the two-channel Soldano variants.
    <space for hire>
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Twinfan said:
    You can hear the large amounts of bass when he uses the Charvel, is he using an actual cab or some sort of load box/modelling cab?  I see he has the master on 6-ish, that's LOUD.

If that's the SLO tone then I think that explains why I'm not keen - thanks for pointing out his demo
    At about 3:50 there’s a caption that says the cab is a 2 Notes Live.
    A load box and cab sim then? Tweaked post production too maybe?

I'd like to hear more raw recordings like Jack's to see if anyone else has the same experience I did.

By the way, I agree with Robert that the crunch channel is great - it was the best part of the amp for me except for the bass issue.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    GG now have one in purple tolex for £2,799.  £400 for purple tolex is just madness!
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited August 2020
    CHrisP86 said:
    GG now have one in purple tolex for £2,799.  £400 for purple tolex is just madness!
    Agree - how come it's a £300 upgrade on the 100 watt head then, but £100 more on the 30?
  • So who else has got one and what are the latest thoughts?

I want to try one and see how it fairs vs my old HR50.
  • rayttkrayttk Frets: 68
    I got one last week and love it, one week later sold my Friedman SmallBox to pay for it.
    it’s been the sound in my head that 3 Friedman’s and countless drive pedals haven’t given me.
    Loop quality is excellent and a Ryra Klone in clean channel is sublime.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rayttk said:
    I got one last week and love it, one week later sold my Friedman SmallBox to pay for it.
    it’s been the sound in my head that 3 Friedman’s and countless drive pedals haven’t given me.
    Loop quality is excellent and a Ryra Klone in clean channel is sublime.
    I’ve had mine for a few months and it’s awesome 
  • rayttkrayttk Frets: 68
    What I don’t love about buying the SLO30 is the price, this threads been going 18 months or so and the price has gone up £300 from the first batch to now and I think Andertons will be more expensive still when they are back in stock