The Best Trilogy / Quadrilogy etc of Films

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28098
    Myranda said:
    Really big fan of (in no particular order)
    • Indiana Jones (not the last one - though not because of aliens in it... seriously a film about magic artifacts and good boxes and an alien was what upset people? When the CGI/effects were so very shitty and the acting was so very poor, people focus on the dead aliens being the problem...)
    The matrix was a brilliant film, but then had two utterly pointless sequels that were truly awful

I think we must live in different universes because I'm pretty sure they never made a 4th Indiana Jones, or any sequels to The Matrix. Definitely not. Nope. I'm quite sure. That would've been rubbish! :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    TTony;222424" said:
    The Sweeney I & II.

Who needs a third.

You'll be needing the DVD box set of the series. Magnificent viewing.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16543
    ...and no mention yet for the On the Busses trilogy or the Cornetto trilogy ( ok, one very good film and two so so ones but that's pretty much true of all of those mentioned).
    Otherwise the Dragon Tattoo ones FTW as the rarity of the quality not dipping.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28213
    jd0272 said:
    TTony;222424" said:
    The Sweeney I & II.

Who needs a third.

I'll be having it already ;)

But that made me think - there are some great bargain DVD sets of classic BBC series ...

image for a fiver, for example

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    TTony said:
    jd0272 said:
    TTony;222424" said:
    The Sweeney I & II.

Who needs a third.

I'll be having it already ;)

But that made me think - there are some great bargain DVD sets of classic BBC series ...

image for a fiver, for example

Good man. There's also House of Cards with Ian 'Sinister as Fuck' Richardson. Classic. Although I suppose I couldn't possibly comment.... Which reminds me the US version with Spacey is probably now on series 2 on Netflix. And jolly good it is too. Surprisingly.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4319
    edited April 2014
    I was just about to elicit the Karla Trilogy of Tinker Tailor, The Honourable Schoolboy and Smileys People. But only one was made into a film and two were a TV series and two a Radio serial
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The first three Rocky films are solid.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Godfathers, Alien from mainstream cinema. From art-house/world cinema, Three Colours and Haneke's Emotional Glaciation trilogy (both trilogies of mood and theme rather than continuity though really).
    Use Your Brian
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    johnnyurq;222369" said:
    +1 for Back to the Future

The Alien Quadrilogy, before they start to add in Premetheus.
    I dont get the prometheus hate. All the alien films are about aethetic, theyre not hard sci-fi and i thought they got the aesthtic pretty well.
    I don't actually hate it I just don't rate it as highly as the 3 top notch Alien movies of the 4.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    What's annoying is that once you've watched the Alien Director's Cuts, the original ones don't seem right, somehow. Alien explains so much more, and Alien 3 is like a different film altogether. Well, almost.

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4426
    I really enjoyed Prometheus. I think you just have to treat it like a separate entity to the Alien series though. My mates went into it expecting an explanation of everything to do with the origins of Xenomorphs etc. and they were really disappointed. They told me it was shit.

I got it on Blu Ray and watched it with an open mind. As a standalone film I thought it was pretty good. And you can see the parallels it starts to draw with the actual Alien series, but without drawing a direct line / link to them.

Is personally rather watch that again than either Alien 3 or 4. Now they were really disappointing after how good the original 2 were.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

I actually really like El Mariaci / Desperado / Once Upon A Time In Mexico, which I think is usually classed as a trilogy (okay, the last one got a bit silly, but they're all pretty good).

Romero's original '...Of The Dead' trilogy too, before he started shitting on his legacy (what is it with filmmakers named George and having a pathological need to do this?)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25026
    I would discount the Alien films.

As time passes Resurrection (steaming pile of shit that it was - other than old Hellboy) actually survives much better than Aliens.

Aliens is a teenage big gun penis envy wankfest that has aged so very badly.

Alien and Alien3 (Directors) are both far superior.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25026
    IanSavage said:

I actually really like El Mariaci / Desperado / Once Upon A Time In Mexico, which I think is usually classed as a trilogy (okay, the last one got a bit silly, but they're all pretty good).

Desperado was almost a remake of the 1st though. 

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd