Fleetwood Mac

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
Watched the "Mirage" tour on youtube last night. Just amazing.
Is it Lindsey Buckingham who plays in that? What is that little guitar he plays?
Absolutely amazing regardless - great technique but more importantly VERY musical... and great playing considering he is moving around so much and looks like he's on drugs lol...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28744
    That'll be the Turner Model 1. Lovely sounding guitar, rare as fuck.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    Thanks - will be gogling that now!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    looking for something else and found this Discussion. I watched a chunk of an FM concert on the tv not long ago. Buckingham did play well but a bit less than at first appeared, definitely a lot of the work being done by blokes with guitars at the back of the stage. Fair enough I suppose but it did seem set up to make him look slightly busier than he actually was.

Anyhoo, back to looking for something else...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    I watched a chunk of an FM concert on the tv not long ago. Buckingham did play well but a bit less than at first appeared, definitely a lot of the work being done by blokes with guitars at the back of the stage. Fair enough I suppose but it did seem set up to make him look slightly busier than he actually was.
    I don't like that. If you can't play the full part without help, either re-arrange the song so you can, or have the other guitarists up front where they belong.

He is a great player but he doesn't need to resort to BS like that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    ICBM;235242" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

I watched a chunk of an FM concert on the tv not long ago. Buckingham did play well but a bit less than at first appeared, definitely a lot of the work being done by blokes with guitars at the back of the stage. Fair enough I suppose but it did seem set up to make him look slightly busier than he actually was.

I don't like that. If you can't play the full part without help, either re-arrange the song so you can, or have the other guitarists up front where they belong.

He is a great player but he doesn't need to resort to BS like that...
    My mate said when he saw them recently Mick Fleetwood was being assisted by a hidden drummer at the back of the stage.

I agree with you @ICBM if you have additional musicians make them part of the band, introduce/thank them etc.

Having them tucked away at the back smacks of shame or at worst deception.

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    That "massive" solo on the Rumours EllPee, was it The Chain ?  When I listened closely on decent quality kit I realised it was a composite of at least 6 different takes. In other words he didn't play that all the way through, he did different takes and the mixdown engineer featured one until he was just about to play a bum note, and then faded up another one. The EQ on each take is slightly different, and each take is panned to a different place L/R.

I agree Mr Buckingham is an impressive player, but his stature diminishes somewhat when you realise how reliant he is on other people to prop up his delivered product.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Buckingham is utterly stunning live, make no mistake. Genius.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    They were all smashed off their tits on class A drugs when the band recorded The Chain. Not surprised it took several takes & multiple edits to get a cohesive solo.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

Regarding the Chain solo section it's interesting listening to the demo tracks that came out on the reissue of Rummors last year. That "Grand Prix" section crops up on about 3 other songs, in various forms but instantly recognisable. Really looks like they liked it but it was never an independant song so it was shoe-horned on anywhere they could till they decided on The Chain.

I've never noticed the differing EQ and stereo placement thought, I'll have a closer listen.

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6939
    Just because it was a composite solo doesn't mean it was several takes on the same thing, chopped to cut out the bum notes - it may have been, like many others have done before and since, a case of lots of improvisation edited down to make a solo that flows and has a beginning, middle and end...not that I can remember off the top of my head what the solo on The Chain sounds like anyway.

Or, you know, like others have said, maybe he was just too coked off his tits to play it in one take...!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Considering that the whole song was originally assembled in the studio from bits of tape from other left-over ideas it's perhaps not surprising that the solo is a put-together job as well. I don't have a problem with that, and it's hardly an unknown practice - Gilmour's classic Comfortably Numb solo for example. He plays the final version live, so he clearly can, even if he didn't originally. Most recorded music is not done in single takes from start to end, so why should a solo be?

I have much more of a problem with hiding supporting musicians at the back of the stage - or worse, off-stage - to make the 'star' look like he's playing it all. That's hardly unknown either, but it's still dishonest.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6939
    ^ This.

Buckingham's stunning live version of Big Love puts me in no doubt whatsoever as to his ability.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    The solo to the Chain starts nununununununununu brang. After that I forget.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    Do do do do weeeeeeeereeerrrrrrrrrrr after that
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Looking back at a few concerts on YouTube there's this from '82 which I think is what the OP was watching, This looks like just the core band (I'm just watching the opening number here, which is The Chain).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUKvMO_wgE

Then fast forward to the Tango in the Night era and here's the same song opening the set, with another guitarist playing the solo on The Chain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwhvnueW7U4

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28396
    I agree that if someone is playing guitar they should be onstage where you can see them. They can be at the side and not move, but they should be seen. If you need extra musicians you are better off just embracing them, I recall Harvey Mandel wandering around on stage with Queen filling in guitar.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    Did he ever find that big glove he was looking for? ooh ahh ooh ah ooh  ahh ooh  ahh ooh  ahh ooh  ahh ooh ahh ooh haa      .....Must have been an oven one he lost   oooh   arhrhh ooo arrhhh Im getting me coat and its not even friday!! :D
  • stickersticker Frets: 888

Looking back at a few concerts on YouTube there's this from '82 which I think is what the OP was watching, This looks like just the core band (I'm just watching the opening number here, which is The Chain).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUKvMO_wgE

Then fast forward to the Tango in the Night era and here's the same song opening the set, with another guitarist playing the solo on The Chain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwhvnueW7U4

Lindsey left the band for that tour and they had to replace him with 2 musicians ... That's how good he is .
    Is that not him then? Didn't notice that!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited May 2014
    So maybe he has some help on stage and cuts takes together for solos... but

I'm not too bothered any more.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."