Amp recommendations for me

What's Hot
firks91firks91 Frets: 104
edited May 2014 in Amps
hey guys, 

so long story short, i tried out the victory amps, which turned out to not be for me. 

i thinking of getting a cornford MK50 ii but i wanted to ask you fine people if there were any decently priced amps that basically meet these needs:

- at least 2 channels
- a nice clean with high headroom
- marshall type tonestack
- effects loop
- up to £1500 ballpark figure

i'll likely get the cornford but they are fairly hard to come by plus you know there are so many amps out there and ive not tried many!

i have a jvm satriani which is very nice, but the clean isnt all that great.

cheers :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    Fender Twin Amp

£400 in the classifieds

not sure what you mean by a marshall tone stack
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    ^^^ That.  Is cheap (but by God, they're heavy...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    I swear by Budda amps. A Superdrive 30 or 45 would fit the bill for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3042
    Having bought my Budda Superdrive 30 from that man ^ there I wholeheartedly agree. makes me grin like an idiot every time I wind it up !
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    firks91 said:
    hey guys, 

so long story short, i tried out the victory amps, which turned out to not be for me. 

i thinking of getting a cornford MK50 ii but i wanted to ask you fine people if there were any decently priced amps that basically meet these needs:

- at least 2 channels
    - a nice clean with high headroom
    - marshall type tonestack
    - effects loop
    - up to £1500 ballpark figure

i'll likely get the cornford but they are fairly hard to come by plus you know there are so many amps out there and ive not tried many!

go on to the Cornford FB page and the forum - is bods selling in there now...or post a SELL ME YOUR amp and someone will ...probbo...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    firks91;15345" said:
    hey guys, 

- at least 2 channels- a nice clean with high headroom- marshall type tonestack- effects loop- up to £1500 ballpark figure

Have you considered a Marshall? :) the jvm is a great sounding amp, the satch one even more so apparently.

Wait, you have one? Swear I didn't see that!

Laney do the lh50. It's fairly Marshall sounding on the crunch, but the clean is definitely more fender, very sweet and tons of volume.
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    Fender Twin Amp

£400 in the classifieds

not sure what you mean by a marshall tone stack
    marshall overdrive tone basically lol
    DrBob said:
    Having bought my Budda Superdrive 30 from that man ^ there I wholeheartedly agree. makes me grin like an idiot every time I wind it up !

how is the clean headroom? i need pristine cleans, which in my experience so far requires an absolute minimum of 50w
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 92
    edited May 2014
    Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic. 2nd hand around £1200. Extra £300 gets you a new BigTone StudioPlex. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Mesa Dual Rectifier - 3-channel version for the best high-headroom clean. Current 'Reborn' version for the best extra features, but might be hard to find second hand yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    £1500 will buy you one of the greatest amps on the planet, a Carr Slant. 

The clean channel IS an old Deluxe Reverb (that's why I sold mine...I already have an old Deluxe Reverb and they sounded identical). 

The dirty channel is Marshall/Vox territory. Channel switcher, with reverb and fx loop all in one of the finest-built amps money can buy, hand-wired in North Carolina by a genius. 

I'm overselling this, aren't I?

Anyway, I am sure @wazmeister will be along shortly to go even more OTT

firks91 said:
    how is the clean headroom? i need pristine cleans, which in my experience so far requires an absolute minimum of 50w
    Pretty massive. I struggle to get them quiet enough for smaller gigs!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    By the way, I'm currently using a V-20 (20w) for gigs and the master volume is barely ever above 2 and thats blisteringly loud. Do a quick search and you'll find people telling you how loud these things are.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7412
    Blackstar Artisan 30. Best amp I ever heard. End of, really
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4265
    You might like my Fender Supersonic 100w head by the sounds of it ,I'm sure a good deal can be had ;)
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    Stiletto Deuce.

I'm keeping mine, but there was one in the classifieds recently.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10090
    edited May 2014
    JohnPerry said:
    £1500 will buy you one of the greatest amps on the planet, a Carr Slant. 

The clean channel IS an old Deluxe Reverb (that's why I sold mine...I already have an old Deluxe Reverb and they sounded identical). 

The dirty channel is Marshall/Vox territory. Channel switcher, with reverb and fx loop all in one of the finest-built amps money can buy, hand-wired in North Carolina by a genius. 

I'm overselling this, aren't I?

Anyway, I am sure @wazmeister will be along shortly to go even more OTT
    Am I that predictable ?!?!? I guess so...

I've been on the clean amp search for centuries... Tried a lot of good amps.

- Blackstar Artisan mentioned earlier, good solid amp. 
    - Fender range - some glorious moments, especially with vintage stuff
    - Redplates - suspect build quality at times, but amazing BF sounds
    - Morgan - unique Vox twist
    - Dr Z - raved about but too hi-fi for me

- Carr... Carr... Carr

NOW, we are talking !

- The Sportsman is an amazing amp. Lush cleans and ability to lightly OD the amp
    - The Rambler - incredible cleans. Still miss mine. I WILL buy another if I find one...

Carr Slant 6v - THE best BF tones I've personally ever heard. Chimes n rings but BIG dollar.

Most of the great cleans OD amps don't do second channel drive well, imho. The Slant has a good Marshallesque second foot switchable channel.

And, you CAN play it at home volumes.

As ever, YMMV...
    mesa/ american or any modern gain type amps are a no no for me at the moment. i have a mesa mark v but ive fallen out with that type gain so that is going up for sale.

that carr slant sounds interesting. i'll take a look.

i was also wondered about the suhr/caa PT100 if anyone has had/ played one?

i would like a fender but that would almost strictly be for home playing because something like that wouldnt be ideal for the band my midi setup. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    edited May 2014
    firks91 said:

mesa/ american or any modern gain type amps are a no no for me at the moment. i have a mesa mark v but ive fallen out with that type gain so that is going up for sale.
    Don't write off a Rectifier because of that if you haven't tried one. The Mark sound and the Rectifier sound are *completely* different. The Rectifier is Marshall-based - tone stack like a Marshall, as you want, on the two dirty channels. The clean channel on the 3-channel models is more Fender-like.

I don't get on with Mark series Boogies at all either - but the Trem-o-verb (2-channel Dual Rectifier with reverb and tremolo) is my favourite amp ever, as I'm sure everyone here already knows ;).

They really are one of the most versatile and misunderstood amps out there in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ive never tried the dual rectifier, but ive owned a single rectifier and i really didnt like it to be honest. i used to love mesas, ive had a few but as a whole they just dont seem to really do it for me at present. maybe it was overexposure :O