Amp recommendations for me

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Best clean to my ears of the amps I've had was an Engl Thunder 50 head. Don't laugh, it really was.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Lots of great amps out there for that sort of money, laney vh100r springs to mind straight away. My choice would probably be the Brunetti 059, superb cleans but will also do plexi to boosted 800 style distortion, great amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    Best clean to my ears of the amps I've had was an Engl Thunder 50 head. Don't laugh, it really was.
    thats surprising!
    timmysoft said:
    Lots of great amps out there for that sort of money, laney vh100r springs to mind straight away. My choice would probably be the Brunetti 059, superb cleans but will also do plexi to boosted 800 style distortion, great amp.
    that bunetti sounds quite interesting!
    firks91 said:
    thats surprising!

Yup, I was surprised too. If you get a chance to try one, it might be worth a listen. I probably shouldn't have sold it, but like a normal amp tart I allowed myself to be seduced by Cornford.

firks91 said:
    thats surprising!

Yup, I was surprised too. If you get a chance to try one, it might be worth a listen. I probably shouldn't have sold it, but like a normal amp tart I allowed myself to be seduced by Cornford.

haha, what cornford did you get?
    edited May 2014
    I would have bought a Hurricane straight off, but the 20w output niggled me. So I bought a Hellcat first, then found it was just a little too 'aggressive ' for me, so I sold it and bought a Hurricane anyway. Found it has enough power for any gig I do, and it sounds perfect to me. I then converted it into a head (thread is in the modding section somewhere). Oh, and I recently bought another one because it was as new, and so cheap, much to the wife's incredulity, but there you go. The MK50 II Cornford head sounds beautiful, and if you haven't tried one, then I'd recommend it. It's just too complicated for me, and too large physically.

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    Get over to Peach and try some Morgans out.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    firks91 said:
    ive never tried the dual rectifier, but ive owned a single rectifier and i really didnt like it to be honest. i used to love mesas, ive had a few but as a whole they just dont seem to really do it for me at present. maybe it was overexposure :O 
    This isn't going to change your mind I know, but I don't like the Single Rectifier either. It doesn't sound remotely as good as the Dual Rec/Trem-o-verb to me. I'm not quite sure why, other than that it doesn't have a valve rectifier - but the Dual still sounds good with solid-state diodes selected. I just found the Single quite sterile and lacking both the huge open tone and the complexity of the Dual.

That said I also didn't like the 3-channel Duals as much, and that's the one you need if you want the cleanest clean tone. To me it does sound more like the Single than the older 2-channel ones did.

Oh, and I recently bought another one because it was as new, and so cheap, much to the wife's incredulity, but there you go.
    I accidentally acquired another Trem-o-verb a bit like that. It is in the shop for sale at the moment, but every time I go there and play it I wonder if I shouldn't just keep it - it's not much more ridiculous to own two 100W 2x12"s I don't gig with any more, than one. Well OK it is, but… you know ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chillidoggy;228135" said:
    firks91 said:

chillidoggy said:

Best clean to my ears of the amps I've had was an Engl Thunder 50 head. Don't laugh, it really was. thats surprising!

The engl thunder does have an amazing clean channel, really warm and deep. The combo is neat, too, and occasionally goes really cheap.

But for your budget, you can be a brand whore and treat yourself :)
    I would have bought a Hurricane straight off, but the 20w output niggled me. So I bought a Hellcat first, then found it was just a little too 'aggressive ' for me, so I sold it and bought a Hurricane anyway. Found it has enough power for any gig I do, and it sounds perfect to me. I then converted it into a head (thread is in the modding section somewhere). Oh, and I recently bought another one because it was as new, and so cheap, much to the wife's incredulity, but there you go. The MK50 II Cornford head sounds beautiful, and if you haven't tried one, then I'd recommend it. It's just too complicated for me, and too large physically.
    ah i see. yeah the hellcat would be interesting but it wouldnt meet my needs unfortunately 
    ICBM said:
    firks91 said:
    ive never tried the dual rectifier, but ive owned a single rectifier and i really didnt like it to be honest. i used to love mesas, ive had a few but as a whole they just dont seem to really do it for me at present. maybe it was overexposure :O 
    This isn't going to change your mind I know, but I don't like the Single Rectifier either. It doesn't sound remotely as good as the Dual Rec/Trem-o-verb to me. I'm not quite sure why, other than that it doesn't have a valve rectifier - but the Dual still sounds good with solid-state diodes selected. I just found the Single quite sterile and lacking both the huge open tone and the complexity of the Dual.

That said I also didn't like the 3-channel Duals as much, and that's the one you need if you want the cleanest clean tone. To me it does sound more like the Single than the older 2-channel ones did.

Oh, and I recently bought another one because it was as new, and so cheap, much to the wife's incredulity, but there you go.
    I accidentally acquired another Trem-o-verb a bit like that. It is in the shop for sale at the moment, but every time I go there and play it I wonder if I shouldn't just keep it - it's not much more ridiculous to own two 100W 2x12"s I don't gig with any more, than one. Well OK it is, but… you know ;).
    yeah, in fact the single rec was the first mesa i owned so it didnt give me a good impression of mesa at the time lol
    ICBM said:
    firks91 said:

yeah, in fact the single rec was the first mesa i owned so it didnt give me a good impression of mesa at the time lol
    well i pulled the trigger on a MK50 ii so we'll what happens with that. sounds like i may have to put some el34's in it but if its not for me i shall have to look at these recommendations again :) cheers for the suggestions guys!