Guitarists that have left you speechless

What's Hot

Comments

• Blake Mills
    Derek Trucks
    Ry Cooder
    Adam Levy

Actually one that took me by suprise was Andy Fairweather Low, he played in my local towns theatre and absolutely tore it up, with god like tone, he was playing a humbucker strat into a Cornell 'Duke' plexi type thing, absolutely blew me away!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 641
    Robbie McIntosh, Jan Ackerman
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1655
    From who I've seen live (avoiding previous mentions) - Steve Lukather, Eric Gales, Gary Moore

Special shout out to Robert Cray. His guitar playing was great but his voice live was simply something else. Simply ene of the best voices I've ever heard.

I've also been disappointed at a couple gigs where what's on the record is great but live they don't really nail their own lines/solos.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    Aside from that i haven't memorably been blown away by anyone in particular but theres a regular touring tribute band in the UK called The Classic Rock Show and they play the songs better than the originals.  One guy in particular called Howie G.  Probably the best axeman i've witnessed in the flesh. 

I was watching some of their clips on YouTube the other day.  Entirely by accident, I'd never heard of them but they're very good, very slick and professional.  They seem to have two or three different singers, one of them was excellent. 

I was a bit dismayed that whenever they showed the audience they were even older than me.  Looked like Neil Warnock and his missus there for the Bingo.

• Of recent it has to be:

Marcus king
    Kingfish Ingram
    Eric Gales 

Im a bit too young to have caught any of the above in their prime
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3111
    Bert Jansch
    Andy Latimer
    Steffi Sharpstrings
    Ed Wynne
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74
    Oh, and Derek Trucks at the Palladium tonight stands a good chance of making it on to my list I would hope!
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 862

Jeff Beck

Steve Lukather

Albert Lee

Kenny Vaughan

Tommy Emmanuel

Craig Ogden

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 221
    Robbie McIntosh, Joey Landreth both of these guys are unassuming and have such natural talent that it just flows from them. Matt Schofield is just out of this world and on another plane. Also Nalle Colt from Vintage Trouble, not the flashiest player, but his fills and soulful playing is sublime
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    edited April 2019
    I’m not sure I would say jawdropping but there’s a player I always enjoy immensely not just because of his mastery of the guitar but also because his playing has humour and character - that is Jim Mullen.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Aside from that i haven't memorably been blown away by anyone in particular but theres a regular touring tribute band in the UK called The Classic Rock Show and they play the songs better than the originals.  One guy in particular called Howie G.  Probably the best axeman i've witnessed in the flesh. 

I was watching some of their clips on YouTube the other day.  Entirely by accident, I'd never heard of them but they're very good, very slick and professional.  They seem to have two or three different singers, one of them was excellent. 

I was a bit dismayed that whenever they showed the audience they were even older than me.  Looked like Neil Warnock and his missus there for the Bingo.

I've seen them a few times.  They're amazing.  They play totally in sync with videos of the originals on the screen behind them - which is pretty difficult to do.  Hotel California especially.  And telegraph road by dire straits.  

They also do the Brit Floyd show which is better than the Aussie version.  

Agree though, i'm nearly 40 and i've always beat the rest of the audience by at least 20 years!
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4353
    Laur "Little Joe" Joamets - was lucky enough to see Sturgill Simpson twice whilst Laur was in his band and there were just so many of those moments where you turn to your mate and you're both laughing because of how good it is.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    For different reasons: Martyn Joseph and Joey Landreth
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    Both times I saw Phil Keaggy live, I had that reaction
  • From memory here we go:

Doug Marstch/Built To Spill the solo during 'Carry The Zero' and intro to 'Velvet Waltz' absolutely stunning! Electric Ballroom, Camden 2013.
    James Dean Bradfield, solo for 'Archives of Pain' in fact everything off that album sounded f**king amazing live! he was truly on form that night, Holy Bible Tour, Wolverhampton Civic Hall, Oct 1994. 
  • 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    Jack Garratt (yes, I know) at Ronnie Scott's upstairs, just on an acoustic. Was superb.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 566
    When I was a kid . . .  Eddie Van Halen playing Eruption when Van Halen supported Black Sabbath in Manchester, a million years ago, I was literally 10 foot away from him  . . . I was the kid with glasses and bleeding ears . . . Gary Moore ( RIP ). . I was just so stunned when I saw him play, when the Concert finished I felt like I'd witnessed a God :-)  I was sad for days . . . 

Tommy Emmanuel, because he's an awesome bloke as well as a prolific talent. . . The weather was so bad that night in Halifax  . . a genuine snow blizzard . . .  and Tommy literally thanked the late comers personally and clapped them in . . He also stayed on after the show to meet and greet and thank the audience for turning out for him. Top Man Tommy

Albert Lee, because he's Albert Lee, enough said, Mr Eric Clapton because Ive seen him twice and both times he was totally on it ! !  Stevie Ray Vaughan, even though I nearly threw my guitar in the bin after watching Live at the El Mocambo . .  Steve Howe even though he seems a bit bonkers these days. Doyle Bramhall 2, Derek Trucks, John 5, Gary Clark Jr. Chris Shiflett, so much talent :-)

Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1625

SRV when I was lucky enough to see him at Hammy Odeon

Jeff Beck in a little gig with Imelda May playing 50's/60's rock and roll.

Rory Gallagher.

BB, every time I saw him.

More recently Simo, Kirk Fletcher, Josh Smith.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    Phil Campbell and Wurzel left me deaf - does that count?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 374
    In 1997 I went to see Phish at Shepherds Bush courtesy of a spare ticket. I had never heard them and was blown away by Trey’s playing, particularly his long exploratory and frequently explosive solos. My love affair with the band was fairly short as overall I don’t find their songs that great but for a couple of years I was a bit obsessed with them.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!