Guitarists that have left you speechless

What's Hot

Comments

• I have seen most of my heroes over the years, but Alan Murphy years ago (obviously) , Snowy White, and Juan Martin more recently have made me smile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    I think this is a name a guitarist you saw live thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2668
    Adrian Belew (with Crimson, on the Discipline tour) is the first one I think of. I had literally no idea what he could be doing to make those sounds. 

Many, many amazing players over the years (most recently Julian Lage and Bill Frisell), but the only other one who had that kind of effect was, oddly, Nick Harper, in a tiny club called Bunjies in 1994 or 1995 - I wandered in with a vague idea of doing a floor spot (for the first time ever), didn't get one, but did see NH and decided I wanted to do that or reasonable facsimile. Ended up doing something completely different, but only got into playing live at all because I saw him that night.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11414
    Micky Jones of Man. Sometimes I would walk out of a gig thinking I had seen one of the greatest musicians ever.

Eric Johnson (Marquee 1991).

Alan Holdsworth.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    Niko Tsonev
    His playing just speaks to me.  His tone, his attack , his technique, his originality.  Trem work is sublime too.

The Sorcerer from Art Against Agony
    Innovative is the word I'd use.  Jazz/Djent and pioneering new kinds of music, scales and approaches.  Truly futurist stuff

Jan Zehrfeld from Panzerballett
    Proper Jazz mixed with proper metal and timings you couldn't even imagine.  Mind blown

Guthrie Goven
    Master of all guitar styles, needs no introduction really.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    Gordon Giltrap - hugely underrated.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31094
    Gilmour
    Bonamassa c. 2010
    Emmanuel
    Buckingham
    Eric c. 1996
    May
    Knopfler

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    scrumhalf said:
    Eric Johnson (Marquee 1991). 

I was there.  Should've remembered that one.

I've still got the T-shirt.  Assuming it hasn't turned to dust in the bottom of a drawer.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 859
    edited April 2019
    scrumhalf said:
    Micky Jones of Man. Sometimes I would walk out of a gig thinking I had seen one of the greatest musicians ever.
    Slow Motion was my first album and Man was the first band that I saw live (Manchester Free Trade Hall, 1974ish). Nobody ever seems to have heard of them... well not in my circles: )
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1177
    scrumhalf said:
    Slow Motion was my first album and Man was the first band that I saw live (Manchester Free Trade Hall, 1974ish). Nobody ever seems to have heard of them... well not in my circles: )
    Got 5 Man lps here.  Never saw them though.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11059
    tFB Trader
    The late Mick Green ... 
    Saw him in a little London club ... and his energy and precision with a Tele plugged into a Marshall ... no effects, no bullshit ... was jaw dropping. 
    Joe Satriani ... saw him on stage at the Albert hall with Vai and Robert Fripp ... to my ears more tasteful and less pretentious than Vai when compared literally side by side (met him and chatted for ages about guitar related stuff in hospitality after, he's a genuinely lovely bloke too). 
    The late BB King ... just because being in the room with someone that legendary and influential made me go all 'star struck fifteen year old'. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    God, howTF did I miss mentioning BB, got to see him several times in Dublin in the early 90s, what an overpowering presence, met him a couple of times and still have the plectrum he gave me, and the signed guitar, such a huge impact on me.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11059
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    God, howTF did I miss mentioning BB, got to see him several times in Dublin in the early 90s, what an overpowering presence, met him a couple of times and still have the plectrum he gave me, and the signed guitar, such a huge impact on me.
    I met BB when I saw him too ... my Missus was a Production manager at the Albert hall, so I got lots of backstage passes. He came over as supremely humble about his talents and genuinely interested in what I played. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2431
    The late Mick Green ... 
    Saw him in a little London club ... and his energy and precision with a Tele plugged into a Marshall ... no effects, no bullshit ... was jaw dropping. 
    Really good to see Mick Green get a mention. Incredible energy in his hybrid lead/rhythm Tele style and of course a big influence on Wilko Johnson. Green with the Pirates in smokey London pubs in the 80s was unforgettable.
  • Loaded1meLoaded1me Frets: 34
    Derek Trucks. Unbelievable. 
    Was at the Palladium on Friday night. Fantastic show.
    At the end of the concert the people I was with got invited backstage. I got to go with them. 
    I've been a theatre production manager for 25 years, met and worked with many "famous/infamous" musicians and actors. TTB are genuinely the nicest people in the industry I've ever met, including their crew. 
    Backstage walking towards the green room Derek appeared in the corridor. Never been phased meeting anyone, however, I was like a 5 year old over excited child rather than an almost 50 something!! He was an absolute gent and so welcoming to someone he's never met before.
    Already sorting out seeing them next year at Wembley Arena. By then I might be able to workout how not to stand grinning at him for 20 minutes should I meet him again!!
  • chris_johnchris_john Frets: 162
    edited April 2019
    Live: Tom Morello. Saw RATM Reading 96. The energy of the band was immense, and Morello's tight phrasing was incredible.
    Live: My old flatmate bought me a ticket to see Tommy Emmanuell in 2002. I had never heard of him, and I was gobsmacked at this Aussie fella doing all kinds of magic with an acoustic guitar.
    Audio/video: Eddie Hazel from Funkadelic/Parliament has influenced my chops quite a bit. Criminally underrated IMO. Maggot Brain is the obvious track, and it still stands up as an all-time great solo.
    I only recently got into Pink Floyd, and I finally understand the Gilmour love.
    And Guthrie Govan, as already pointed out by other folks, is definitely something special. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3342
    edited April 2019
    If we're going by live:-
    Dann Huff with Giant
    Steuart Smith with Shawn Colvin (he went on to play in The Eagles after Felder left). Fantastic pedal steel stuff on an electric
    Nuno Bettancourt - he's still got it.
    Alan Murphy - mentioned here already but I remember seeing him at a guitar show with SFX, who were the Fender Roadshow band at the time, and later at those classic monthly gigs at The Oval Cricketers. Stunning playing and fabulous sound.

Finally, our very own Stinkfoot from Steely Dan tribute, Stanley Dee. Outstanding player who nails those classic parts and solos and manages to impart something of his own personality, too.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5773

Carlos Santana, every time he opens his mouth.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3342

Aside from that i haven't memorably been blown away by anyone in particular but theres a regular touring tribute band in the UK called The Classic Rock Show and they play the songs better than the originals.  One guy in particular called Howie G.  Probably the best axeman i've witnessed in the flesh. 
    @theflyisback ; Yep, both guitarists from this band are great but I, too, was suitably impressed by Howie G's playing and sounds. Here's an entire concert  -

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3683
    Most guitarists leave me speechless, I hate it when people talk through music!

But these guys, and this song, sends a shiver up my back,. it doesnt have to be complicated, loaded with effects, fast or slow, just needs to make you move.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.