Classic / future classic pedals worth buying now

What's Hot

Comments

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    ICBM said:
    I doubt anyone will really care that much about any pedal in another twenty years.

And yes, I'm serious.
    In 20 years, you'll be downloading a schematic, printing it on a 3d printer and slotting it into an all-purpose stomp switching gizmo. You'll consume it for a couple of gigs and then drop it.  You won't bother chaining it and rearranging the chain because you'll be able to flip its order in software. It will sound homogeneous because there won't be manufacturing variations due to the process being so good.

A select few will have a vintage sound because they will have the retro stuff, and will have spent time on it, learning their chops and how they work in a proper chain with cables and capacitance, and they will be GODS!!

You kids will only dream of the sounds they will be able to achieve with their pure analogue setups and their warm glowing valves!

Nurse!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGrip;230277" said:
    I thought Cornish's boxes of magic goop have long been de-gooped, anyway? FSB have done a few, I'm sure.
    I think they've done one, the big muff one - and it's quite an odd circuit apparently, massively modded, although I don't know the techs.

I think they're happy to leave Pete Cornish as he actually does do pretty interesting stuff and is a bit of a legend in his own right. They're more dubious of daft boxes claiming to be a Dumble or some other nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I don't think that's how FSB works. Ideally they *don't* want to de-goop and find another TubeScreamer - they want to de-goop and find something interesting. I'm not aware of any honour system controlling the de-gooping fund, though I must admit it's a while since I last looked. I'd heard they'd abandoned de-gooping because "something interesting" kept eluding them. 
  • EdGrip;230444" said:
    I don't think that's how FSB works. Ideally they *don't* want to de-goop and find another TubeScreamer - they want to de-goop and find something interesting. I'm not aware of any honour system controlling the de-gooping fund, though I must admit it's a while since I last looked. I'd heard they'd abandoned de-gooping because "something interesting" kept eluding them. 
    Ah yes, that could well be the case.

I had a cursory look and only found the one cornish scheme, that's not to say there are not more.
  • gambitgambit Frets: 5
    some of the DOD pedals are messed up enough that nobody tries to make anything that sounds like them. and the odd famous guy uses them here and there to keep the fanboys clamouring after them.

Buzzbox, Meatbox, Gonkulator etc..

Personally, i'd just want to make an all-vintage DOD board. those early 80's two-knob pedals - i've got the FX-20 Phasor, i know the chorus is up there with the CE-2 (if not better) and the envelope filter, compressor, flanger all sound pretty nice to me too
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the older Devi Ever catalogue will climb now shes sold the company on, again.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    edited May 2014
    Original, early, DAM pedals 

Early, signed Zvex stuff

Original Jeorge Tripps stuff

Lovetone stuff (original stuff)

I don't agree that pedals won't be collectible - the market has shown over the past 20 years that good quality, hard to find stuff goes up in value. Collecting is a natural human habit for some character types - and therefore there will always be collectors of guitar gear and they always push the values of certain brands/models up.

The originals of something are always going to be of interest to those who have a collecting bent - no matter how good the 'clone' is.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the older Devi Ever catalogue will climb now shes sold the company on, again.
    I hope not. The Console Kickstarter debacle would be my reason why. 

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    edited May 2014
    Anything made by Juansolo. Almost guaranteed to make you sound like a god and be worth THAAAASANDS in a couple of years time when the hype kicks in*

*or not.

DAM make old school fuzzes well and are already commanding silly money. Skreddy the same. As someone's mentioned, Lovetone definitely. Some really unique stuff there.

To be collectable, IMO, they need to be desirable now and produced in low enough numbers so that they're not easily obtainable.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Everything that's on my board

Hopefully!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Heartfeltdawn said:

kelvinburn said:

I hope not. The Console Kickstarter debacle would be my reason why. 
    I would be surprised if any of them are still working in twenty years.

I've only seen a couple of them but they're easily the worst-made pedals (or anything, possibly) I've ever come across. Just total junk.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    ditto looper v1

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    ICBM said:

I would be surprised if any of them are still working in twenty years.

I've only seen a couple of them but they're easily the worst-made pedals (or anything, possibly) I've ever come across. Just total junk.

I've had two come through my hands and they weren't good at all. Devi herself used to annoy the shit out of me over at HCFX. 

• guitarcookie1guitarcookie1 Frets: 469
    edited May 2014
    What about the old Zoom analogue pedals - Ultra Fuzz, Tri Metal, Power Drive & Hyper Lead? The metal & lead have been on my board for years & sound excellent (IMHO).
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3197
    ^ yep, the Zoom Ultrafuzz is a gem. Sounds great for guitar and bass.

Now that the Paul Cochrane Tim is out of production the s/h price on them seems to be creeping up.

The line 6 DL4 is already a classic IMO. There are probably a lot floating around though. If line 6 stop making them and don't replace it with something similar with that looper, the dodgy switch issue is slowly going to reduce there numbers. Despite all the more sophisticated loopers that have emerged since, people still love what the DL4 does.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    The line 6 DL4 is already a classic IMO. There are probably a lot floating around though. If line 6 stop making them and don't replace it with something similar with that looper, the dodgy switch issue is slowly going to reduce there numbers. Despite all the more sophisticated loopers that have emerged since, people still love what the DL4 does.
    I didn't love mine when it had a glitch on stage and I couldn't turn the looper off :).

I agree they are a classic of sorts, but they're not going to last forever and I doubt they will ever be worth much because the faults are well-known.

The Akai Headrush E2 is a better looper anyway, it just doesn't have all the delay options.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    kr musical products may be come collectable as I don't think they are being made anymore.
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    Boss FZ2 Hyper Fuzz. I love this pedal (I have 2), it sounds great on fuzz 1 and has a very useful boost mode. Starting to get quite pricy though.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903

Boss FZ2 Hyper Fuzz. I love this pedal (I have 2), it sounds great on fuzz 1 and has a very useful boost mode. Starting to get quite pricy though.
    Just looked at sold listings on ebay, they seem to go for around £80, not bad at all in the grand scheme of things.  Just had a listen to a few clips, it sounds great.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I had an FZ2 and was less than impressed. I sold it after a few months, despite searching for reasonably priced one for quite a while. It's great on it's own, but just seemed to disappear too easily in a mix, more so than my other fuzzes.
    Proper classic? That is the Boss PN2. Nothing better in a little green box!