Classic / future classic pedals worth buying now

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    dogload said:
    I had an FZ2 and was less than impressed. I sold it after a few months, despite searching for reasonably priced one for quite a while. It's great on it's own, but just seemed to disappear too easily in a mix, more so than my other fuzzes.
    I agree. Like the Big Muff, it needs to go into a fairly clean amp with a large amount of power behind it, and turn the pedal up. I like it, but it does seem to sound slightly 'processed' compared to most more traditional fuzz pedals, and I wonder if that's something to do with it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Nail on head hit chaps. Needs careful EQ to sit right.
    But I believe it's the weapon of choice for James Dean Bradfield... he seems to be able to make it work.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• retrosonic chorus
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    iseverynamegone;237265" said:
    retrosonic chorus
    Definately , I was looking for one of these a couple of months ago. There like hens teeth!

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    impmann said:
    Nail on head hit chaps. Needs careful EQ to sit right.
    But I believe it's the weapon of choice for James Dean Bradfield... he seems to be able to make it work.
    Doesn't he mainly use it on the boost mode? I thought I read that in an interview but I'm probably wrong. 

I've got the Behringer equivalent which I bought mainly out of curiosity. It's not bad but it's definitely a 'set the amp clean' pedal for me. 

I probably won't get rid of it because it's good for providing those 'wtf'? moments, and I believe the original Boss was based on he Shin-Ei Superfuzz which Pete Townshend used, and the moments during "Live at Leeds" where he stomps on it and things get all apocalyptic are some of my favourite electric guitar moments ever. 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    You may be right, mate. I just recall it from a Guitarist interview many moons ago. I bought one based on the interview (s/h, natch ;-) ) and couldn't get it to do what I wanted... so I flicked it on.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Fulltone Choral Flange V2 -- even rarer than the Fulltone Choral Flange V1 ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    edited May 2014

Boss FZ2 Hyper Fuzz. I love this pedal (I have 2), it sounds great on fuzz 1 and has a very useful boost mode. Starting to get quite pricy though.
    Just looked at sold listings on ebay, they seem to go for around £80, not bad at all in the grand scheme of things.  Just had a listen to a few clips, it sounds great.
    I find mine stands out in the mix without issue, I use it with the bass at around 10 or 11 o'clock, the treble at around 3 and that fuzz around 9.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 889

I wonder if older interesting EHX stuff might go up now they're not doing many (any?) in the old-type boxes any more, though they aren't particularly rare.

Big box Deluxe Memory Manses certainly aren't going down in price...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Diamond fire burst is a modern classic.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203

I also think the original POD 1 might be worth a bit in future, not because it's particularly good, but because it was the first modeller to make people realise modelling might be useful. It'll certainly hold value better than its peers, even i the V-Amp 2 sounded better.
    Good call, Mike.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Ibanez Weeping Demon (Original Big model).

Still in stock at Thomann (Germany) and Woodbrass (Paris). Nowhere in stock in UK anymore.

As soon as I've got some bills out of the way I am having one before they disappear completely.