Classic / future classic pedals worth buying now

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
I've just bought a boss DM3 and a BF-2. People talk about classics like these going for silly money but in actual fact both of them together have cost about £100. They are easy to fix if they break, have the perfect boss design and sound great ( well the DM3 has not arrived yet, but the clips and my memory suggest they sound good). You can get a CE2 MIJ for less than £100 which is still not a lot for a decent sounding pedal even if the odd chancer asks double. So I'm just wondering what classic pedals are worth hunting out that still offer good value for money. Either pedals where the boutique version costs more or just sleeper pedals that were great in their day but have missed the vintage bandwagon.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7412
    Boss PS3 has a bit of value, as far as Boss pedals go, owing to the Mode 7 that they failed to put on any subsequent incarnations. Presumably because people liked it (!). Not Slow Gear price, but some.
  • Anything Pete Cornish.

I don't want to put it like this, but he won't be around forever and if he doesn't tell anyone the schematic for designs such as the TES they will skyrocket in value.

I hope he does pass the info on - I find it quite sad that there is a decent chance I'll never even attend a gig or concert that has one being used, and I think even if he did pass info on to someone else, the originals made by him and his lady would skyrocket just as much.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    Toadworks.

Their trem is already collectable. A lot of their pedals got sold off cheap when they stopped production and they had a few quite distinctive products.

Now, anyone interested in my Toadworks delay? Bidding starts at £500... :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    Anything Pete Cornish.

I don't want to put it like this, but he won't be around forever and if he doesn't tell anyone the schematic for designs such as the TES they will skyrocket in value.

I hope he does pass the info on - I find it quite sad that there is a decent chance I'll never even attend a gig or concert that has one being used, and I think even if he did pass info on to someone else, the originals made by him and his lady would skyrocket just as much.
    I believe his son is fully briefed. But the originals will fly up.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• allicioallicio Frets: 221
    At one point I would have said dam but I'm not so sure these days. They seem to have peaked. There seems to be a lot of dam collectors in the us bit given the strength of the £ to $ I think its become cost prohibitive for them. There's always gonna be certain models such as the fuzzaround and certain benders but the regular stuff seems to have levelled off.
    I'd have said certain Fuzzes with NOS trannies will go up as stocks of these are already diminishing I.e nkt275 and 213's but I'm just guessing there.
    Also seems to be what certain famous guitarists are playing at the time
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    Just to confirm I'm not looking for investments, just good sounding usable effects. Not really interested in Pete Cornish effects either, I like more blue collar effects. Plus a lot of the guitarists I like most are the ones that play high street stompers.
  • Gassage;229951" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Anything Pete Cornish.

I believe his son is fully briefed. But the originals will fly up.
    That's good news, if the son wants to carry on the business.

The originals will soar regardless, but it'd be a shame to have that piece of rock history buried.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I reckon proper Timmys will go up when the chap eventually stops making them. 

I wonder if older interesting EHX stuff might go up now they're not doing many (any?) in the old-type boxes any more, though they aren't particularly rare.

I also think the original POD 1 might be worth a bit in future, not because it's particularly good, but because it was the first modeller to make people realise modelling might be useful. It'll certainly hold value better than its peers, even i the V-Amp 2 sounded better.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    ^^
    Can't see it happening. They're easy to clone already, Paul C doesn't hide his design away, and the prices secondhand are already way way down on their high point pre-recession. 

Cornish will go up because his death will further escalate the wankery around them. 

Great pedals that offer tons of value:

-Boss DD-7. Best Boss delay stompbox in my book. 
    -Arion SCH-1. Prices have dropped right down in the last few years and offer a lot of good sounds for the cash. 

The pedals that do command the premium are generally out of production, stuff like the Klon because he's stopped making them or the Boss VB-2 (fiddly to make and the original parts are somewhat rare). Of the modern pedals, I can't see too many being stopped because of a lack of specific chips, transistors etc. Maybe the Diamond Memory Lane delays or some of the Catalinbread overdrives might get some price rises. 

• GassageGassage Frets: 31586
    edited May 2014
    Poor Pete- we're wishing death on him.

And, it's not wankery- so many good judges are wowed by them for it to be that.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    I doubt anyone will really care that much about any pedal in another twenty years.

And yes, I'm serious.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    ICBM;230137" said:
    I doubt anyone will really care that much about any pedal in another twenty years.

And yes, I'm serious.
    if in 20 years no one is using pedals doesn't mean they won't be collectable.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited May 2014
    Gassage said:

Whoops, double posted. 

Gassage said:

In my opinion, it's wankery so subjectivity wins out here. Feel free to namedrop the usual bunch of interminably boring solo-loving dudes that normally crops up in defence though :D

(and yes I haven't owned a TES or his chorus but most of the rest has sat on my board at some point). 

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I was sort of thinking in a similar vein when I bought a Boss BF-2 this week. I mean I know it's a sort of minor classic, but it's also fairly simple to use, can be had for a reasonable price (not much more than a new Joyo) and has the Boss reliability factor, which were probably the determining factors in my buying it. 

I'm thinking of getting a couple of Boss drive pedals now. The Turbo Overdrive appeals, though I could just as easily plump for one of the others that they're still making.  
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited May 2014

Personally unless someone works out how he does it I think Deano's Amp Booster Attenuator Boxes are going to go for a few thousands when he stops making them.  The circuit is his own creation so unless someone does some serious reverse engineer these things could end up in short supply and highly priced. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELUXE-BOOSTER-BOX-ATTENUATOR-D1-FOR-FENDER-GUITAR-AMPS-/251504949002?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a8edcf70a

;;)
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Personally unless someone works out how he does it I think Deano's Amp Booster Attenuator Boxes are going to go for a few thousands when he stops making them.  The circuit is his own creation so unless someone does some serious reverse engineer these things could end up in short supply and highly priced. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELUXE-BOOSTER-BOX-ATTENUATOR-D1-FOR-FENDER-GUITAR-AMPS-/251504949002?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a8edcf70a

;;)

I wonder if he goops his circuit.

• danodano Frets: 1647
    randomhandclaps;230162" said:

;;)
    Deano is clearly onto something with an attenuator than goes to 11, that's practically below zero.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    I thought Cornish's boxes of magic goop have long been de-gooped, anyway? FSB have done a few, I'm sure.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    I'll mainly miss the pasties when Pete goes. They are simply the best

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom