New Gibson line finally in stores

What's Hot

Comments

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1209
    Hastily strung, I'd say. They can be corrected at the bridge
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    So I guess my 2009 Traditional is now equivalent to the new 50s Standard. Thought the pickups are different I see.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 267
    I dont like playing SG's but those vibrola ones look the bizz. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7109
    tFB Trader
    Babones said:
    Nope, I think the bridge is in the wrong position. It might be CNC'd but if the machine isn't programmed right, they will all be equally wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7194
    So I guess my 2009 Traditional is now equivalent to the new 50s Standard. Thought the pickups are different I see.
    How so Grumps?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    What the hell is that 34 burst all about on the 235? 
    I thought the same, I'm guessing they had two or three colours in 1934? Although if you do a google image search it does bring up a few similar images, its an aquired taste.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1337
    Babones said:
    Nope, I think the bridge is in the wrong position. It might be CNC'd but if the machine isn't programmed right, they will all be equally wrong.
    That would be disappointing, because I really fancied one of these new Juniors.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    tony99 said:
    How so Grumps?
    Traditional had 57 Classics on it, new 50s Standard has Burstbuckers. Otherwise I think they are very close in design. 

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4057
    tony99 said:
    How so Grumps?
    Traditional had 57 Classics on it, new 50s Standard has Burstbuckers. Otherwise I think they are very close in design. 
    The Traditional was always more standard than the Standard, which was a bit daft. The Standard and Modern naming makes more sense.

I think the new Standards look a bit more like a reissue in the new finishes and with the ABR bridge. It could be my eyes but the neck binding looks a bit thinner too.
  • Was just watching the live stream on Instagram at Peach guitars as they were unboxing. I think I heard them say 2 piece backs on the standards which is a shame. Im assuming they have the short tenon too? 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31895
    Was just watching the live stream on Instagram at Peach guitars as they were unboxing. I think I heard them say 2 piece backs on the standards which is a shame. 
    Why? the best Les Paul I've ever played has a two-piece back.

http://i65.tinypic.com/33x7j1l.jpg

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    bodhi said:
    Babones said:

The bridge probably is a bit off, but there is also a tendency for the strings to drift over to the treble side with wraparound bridges - I think because they're feeding straight through the bridge which is set on a slant, then going off at an angle over a curved surface... string spacing ends up a bit rough and ready, it's not a precision piece of hardware.

And fortunately I don't think Gibson's CNC-ing combined with their QC procedures is anywhere near accurate enough to make all examples equally right, or wrong. 

• robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    Philly_Q said:
    bodhi said:
    Babones said:

The bridge probably is a bit off, but there is also a tendency for the strings to drift over to the treble side with wraparound bridges - I think because they're feeding straight through the bridge which is set on a slant, then going off at an angle over a curved surface... string spacing ends up a bit rough and ready, it's not a precision piece of hardware.

And fortunately I don't think Gibson's CNC-ing combined with their QC procedures is anywhere near accurate enough to make all examples equally right, or wrong. 

It does look like the slanted holes are pushing the thicker strings over towards the treble side. The G string is way over too. E A and G

• Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2351
    Not good:

That really is disappointing for £1200 ish. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2351
    Let's hope the QC is actually better overall. I'd be happy to buy a new one closer to Winter depending on how good they are. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2025
    edited April 2019
    Almost - I'll stick with Yamaha.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90fool said:
    Was just watching the live stream on Instagram at Peach guitars as they were unboxing. I think I heard them say 2 piece backs on the standards which is a shame. 

http://i65.tinypic.com/33x7j1l.jpg

Nothing personally against two piece backs don't worry (Im a fan of Japanese Les Paul's). Just more of a disappointment with Gibson. They've told us all how they are getting back to the Golden era but theirs still a number of basic things which Id want in a standard. I want to like the new collection and on the face of it it does all look nice but I have to think that the details don't seem to be quite there yet. Anyways the proof will be in the playing so I'll hold fire on my final opinion until I've played a few. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited April 2019
    Sat through all of the Peach unboxing. The one and only thing that really pisses me off and why I wouldn’t buy one is the gloss on them is just way too thick.

They make a great looking top look like a great big gloopy shiny mess. Was the same with the 2016 and 2017 i owned. 

The VOS finish on my R8 is gorgeous and how I  think they should be 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sat through all of the Peach unboxing. The one and only thing that really pisses me off and why I wouldn’t buy one is the gloss on them is just way too thick.

They make a great looking top look like a great big gloopy shiny mess. Was the same with the 2016 and 2017 i owned. 

The VOS finish on my R8 is gorgeous and how I  think they should be 
    I agree, I was tempted by the hype but when you could get a used R8 near the £2k mark  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    edited April 2019
    p90fool said:

Nothing personally against two piece backs don't worry (Im a fan of Japanese Les Paul's). Just more of a disappointment with Gibson. They've told us all how they are getting back to the Golden era but theirs still a number of basic things which Id want in a standard. I want to like the new collection and on the face of it it does all look nice but I have to think that the details don't seem to be quite there yet. Anyways the proof will be in the playing so I'll hold fire on my final opinion until I've played a few. 
    They haven't used one-piece bodies on Gibson USA production guitars for decades.  A lot of them have been more than two pieces, with off-centre joins, etc.  A two-piece, centre-joined back - if that's what they're now offering - is a step up.

Let's not expect too much.  They may intend to get back to basics, producing the guitars people want and that Gibson are known for, etc, but that doesn't mean they're going to essentially start offering Custom Shop specs at Gibson USA prices.  And they're not going to reverse all their quality-control issues overnight, it's still the same workforce.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom