NGD (AGAIN)!!!

What's Hot

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5880

Serendipity at it's finest. Well worth a tinker if you fancy it.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You can only begin to imagine what gets brought to the dump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As somone who has for number of years and still does work at the dump part time I can tell you I have seen some crazy musical equipment come through the gates!
    Old Is Gold
  • not just that though gold, silver, antiques, swords, guns all kinds of stuff!
    Old Is Gold
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited February 2015
    Remember that Strat I found at the local dump and what started this thread? It transpired that the electrics didn't work, the neck was warped and now it just serves me as something to work stuff out on and I did nothing more than put some strings on it. It's a bit of tat!

Well, today I was at the same dump and this little beauty turned up and the guys let me have it.

photo IMG_1179.jpg

It's a Farida and it seems Dawsons sell them. From what I've found so far on this particular model, it appears to be an early FTC-8 as it has a regular Tele body and Strat headstock - the newer version of this model has a funny off-set body and headstock. The neck has 22 frets and seems straight and the bridge saddles are missing on this one. It could be priced anywhere between £89 or £199 new and I can't tell what the body's made from and it's quite heavy. It would be great if it's proper wood, like alder or poplar, as opposed to plywood and it's got some natural relicing on it.

I need to get an opinion from a luthier at some point so I can decide whether to throw any cash at it as a project. I'm actually getting used to the colour and maybe a decent set of electrics/pickups and a little outlay could result in something as good as Squier. 
    EDIT: body is made from a non-descript solid wood, the neck is Maple and the fretboard is made from sonokelin (? pseudo-rosewood). As mentioned further down in the thread by Adam_MD, these come out of the same factory as the Squier Classic Vibes.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12477
    Again???!! Blimey, where do you live? >:D<
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Where the hell is your tip??? Out the back of Andertons or similar!?!?!?
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Ps, good work... AGAIN! :)
    edited February 2015

It's in Sutton, Surrey :) and welcome to Any Old Tat!

• dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    Bloody hell Cos, twice, that is jammy. Either that or your spending too much time at your local skip! You should enter the modding challenge, you have a pretty good head start from a cost point of view.
    Cheers @dindude and just call me Stig Of the Dump or Shrek!
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3850
    Put a Bigsby on it
    Loobs said:
    Put a Bigsby on it

At which end?
    I'm not joking
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nah. If this ever becomes a mod project, it's going to be a fixed bridge as my other guitars all have trems and I fancy one without.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The Farida factory is owned by a company called GREE (or something similar) and they make the CV Squiers.  I played a Farida tele a few years ago and it was very similar to my classic vibe.  That's an excellent score for a freebie
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers for the info Adam_MD and that's promising!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Can you take a pic of the bottom of the bridge pickup?  The last one I saw had the usual crappy chinese switch but full sized alpha pots.
    edited February 2015
    Given that an hour before visiting the dump I was in Guitar Guitar playing a very nice, used Roadworn Tele, I reckon that given its relic'd state, had I bought it, removed the strings and come home with it saying I'd found it at the dump, Mrs.K wouldn't have been none the wiser! :-\"
    Take it back to the tip
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350

I hope you are not near me cos that is what one of my students comes with and he came round today...!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>