korean squier strat ..any good?solid body? full thickness?

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1343
Well after selling 2 good quality strats to pay for my orville lp custom i'm after a cheap squier to mod,one has come up local £90 ,its 1995 korean serial number cn5 so im guessing cort factory ?
 but are these a good modding platform? are they solid wood not ply and full thickness ? im going tommorow to look at it so need opinions quick,thanks in advance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7222
    how's the orville, I like the look of them but never played one
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699
    edited June 2019
    Korean Squiers were plywood IIRC, but a decent sounding guitar is decent sounding whatever it’s made of
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3686
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1343
    robgilmo said:
    black fender logo1995
    still none the wiser wether solid or ply
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1343
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    The starter  pack SE model is full size,full depth  with a proper body  and a proper neck .Bin the pickguard and replace with  something better and you will have a decent guitar .if you later fit a   proper Fender neck  and  a full depth trem block no one will know  and I wont tell .
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    The necks are the main attraction of the Korean plywood Squiers, but I suppose 90 quid is a bit much for a Squier neck. Tuners and nut are not up to it so that's more expense to rule out viability.

I see 90s Squiers advertised for 190 quid which is not really value for money from a player's point of view. I suppose some people might (*shudder*) collect them.
  • MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    edited June 2019
    great necks but ply bodies & average pickups etc

90£ would be reasonableish for a minty.. my beat up tele cost a hearty 75
    So whats the problem with ply bodies?
    edited June 2019
    good point, nothing but the stigma of toanwood I guess if it's cheap & on the lighter end of a few kg 

I wonder if people who comment on the ply bodied thing could actually tell the difference? Genuine question?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    quite, once its plugged in body wood become irrelevant 

I only noticed when I upgraded the pickups in mine after years of owning
      I nearly kept it just for the neck    (97 kv serial number) 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    My old ply body Squier was fairly heavy and a lot thinner than a normal Stratocaster. There isn't enough room to fit a full size trem block if you are so inclined to upgrade. I much prefer the full thickness Strat body irregardless of what trem is fitted.
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 688
    robgilmo said:
    I wonder if people who comment on the ply bodied thing could actually tell the difference? Genuine question?
    It doesn't matter if you can tell by hearing if you already know. Sadly.
    robgilmo said:
    It doesn't matter if you can tell by hearing if you already know. Sadly.
    Is it a placebo? A guitar made from carbon that costs £££££ sounds better? I dont know, I try to think of it as if you like it regardless of how its constructed you will play it well.
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 474
    Try and find one of th the SE Squier Stratocasters . They have full thickness solid wood bodies and are a great platforms for modding .  There are lots of them around, I’ve picked them up for as little as £25 at car boot sales but you will probably have to pay a bit more from somewhere like eBay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    robgilmo said:
    So whats the problem with ply bodies?
    IME they are generally a lot heavier. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11148
    tFB Trader
    daveyh said:
    Korean Squiers were plywood IIRC, but a decent sounding guitar is decent sounding whatever it’s made of
    I had a candy apple red Korean Squire Strat ... plywood body ... a tad heavy ... but sounded quite nice. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I would likely have bought it. 
    I had a plywood body Washburn for 18 years that was fine. No worse than alder, mahogany etc. anyway. Also never yet come across a bad MIK guitar. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11148
    tFB Trader
    I would likely have bought it. 
    I had a plywood body Washburn for 18 years that was fine. No worse than alder, mahogany etc. anyway. Also never yet come across a bad MIK guitar. 
    I've had several ply guitars and never had an issue ... apart from weight on a couple. If you think about it most cheaper semi acoustics are ply ... it's just they make it posher sounding by calling it laminated!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message