Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• Neil said:
    Lovely! I do like a Hamilton :)

As for me, I had a somewhat-unexpected bit of inheritance a couple of weeks ago, so I'm looking at Speedmasters. 

They are over-rated. ;)

DSCN0488 - Click to view full size photo
    :D 

Lovely set.

I'll be going for the regular Pro. Fairly sure I want the sapphire sandwich for the caseback, though I'd prefer hesalite on the front, which isn't a combination you can get at the moment. 

It's strange, Rolexes are EVERYWHERE in the middle east to the point they've lost a lot of appeal for me. Every other bugger's got one and half of them are dicks. 

Lovely! I do like a Hamilton

As for me, I had a somewhat-unexpected bit of inheritance a couple of weeks ago, so I'm looking at Speedmasters. 

I thought the same in Cambridge for rolex and omega. Everyone in a suit! 

I don't find them (diver? type) especially attractive, there is too much going on and I'm not a diver or sailor or whatever so the features are lost on me. The sheer mechanics, though... I'd love to meet a watchmaker for a photo shoot. I bet it could make a great photo story. 

I'm hoping to get a nice automatic for Christmas this year. Everyone recommends seiko 5 but I don't find them all that attractive... I found a couple of beautiful longines elegant surroundings in an auction room that were broken last year. I wonder if they were worth a punt but didn't have the money (sold for £85 each iirc). And darn they're expensive new! 

How expensive can watch repairs run? They looked in great nick, but winding them didn't start them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7506
    edited March 2017
    On a side note, my cheap but very cheerful, attractive watch is starting to get the glass quite scratched. Tough glass is definitely something worth paying for, this watch is only 15 months old. It's been mostly good, but I've had a few issues with the date not changing day properly once or twice (generally fixed by waiting another day and it's sorted) so the movement inside is obviously a more basic, cheaper movement. 

Hope photo works...

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3703/32941668903_39b0906142_k.jpg
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    On a side note, my cheap but very cheerful, attractive watch is starting to get the glass quite scratched. Tough glass is definitely something worth paying for, this watch is only 15 months old. It's been mostly good, but I've had a few issues with the date not changing day properly once or twice (generally fixed by waiting another day and it's sorted) so the movement inside is obviously a more basic, cheaper movement. 

Hope photo works...

If the watch glass is getting scratched it will need replacement. It will be mineral glass.

Sapphire is pretty unscratchable but only usually comes in more expensive watches.

Conversely, scratches in cheap  plastic (hesalite) crystals are easily polished out.

IMO mineral glass is the worst choice.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    Neil said:

They are over-rated. ;)

Lovely set.

I'll be going for the regular Pro. Fairly sure I want the sapphire sandwich for the caseback, though I'd prefer hesalite on the front, which isn't a combination you can get at the moment. 

It's strange, Rolexes are EVERYWHERE in the middle east to the point they've lost a lot of appeal for me. Every other bugger's got one and half of them are dicks. 

I don't find them (diver? type) especially attractive, there is too much going on and I'm not a diver or sailor or whatever so the features are lost on me. The sheer mechanics, though... I'd love to meet a watchmaker for a photo shoot. I bet it could make a great photo story. 

I'm hoping to get a nice automatic for Christmas this year. Everyone recommends seiko 5 but I don't find them all that attractive... I found a couple of beautiful longines elegant surroundings in an auction room that were broken last year. I wonder if they were worth a punt but didn't have the money (sold for £85 each iirc). And darn they're expensive new! 

How expensive can watch repairs run? They looked in great nick, but winding them didn't start them. 

They may have just needed a service which can easily set you back at least a hundred quid nowadays but it could have been something more serious and can cost more than the watch is worth.
  • Neil said:
    Neil said:

They are over-rated. ;)

Lovely set.

They may have just needed a service which can easily set you back at least a hundred quid nowadays but it could have been something more serious and can cost more than the watch is worth.

Glad I didn't take the chance then! 

Neil said:

Hope photo works...

If the watch glass is getting scratched it will need replacement. It will be mineral glass.

Sapphire is pretty unscratchable but only usually comes in more expensive watches.

Conversely, scratches in cheap  plastic (hesalite) crystals are easily polished out.

IMO mineral glass is the worst choice.

It's a £50 watch so probably not worth the cost until it's completely buggered. But it's good to know it can be replaced. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    I recently fell into the grasps of SWAS (Swiss Watch Acquisition Syndrome) after inheriting a vintage 60s omega seamaster which is still running perfectly though is definitely overdue a service. The collection has now expanded to include a Breitling Superocean and Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece chronograph - lovely things that are definitely easier to move into the house unnoticed rather than guitars.

However, for those saying they treat them as investments, where are you ultimately selling them? How are you assuring quality and avoiding Igor from Estonia selling you a very nice Romex?
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/tav397/IMG_20170401_161612.jpg

Here's mine, happy with the balance struck between quality, not being to ostentatious, actual looks etc.

Having said that I had one of those cheap generic Casio's before, loved being able to see the time at night with the little light. So when the strap broke by only real requirement was a watch I could read in the dark and was a similar price. Very much failed on both of those! It has taken an absolute battering over the last six or so years though and keeps on tickin'.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27687
    Neil said:
    Neil said:

They are over-rated. ;)

Lovely set.

Just get the regular Pro 3570-50.

Best all rounder and nearest thing you will get to a Moon watch.
    So today I tried the sandwich and the Hesalite Speedy Pros side by side. As much as I love the see-through casebook, the hesalite is comprehensively the nicer watch when you're wearing it, so the decision is made, with a caveat that I might get a sapphire caseback at a later date (I probably won't).

Just waiting for the next credit card cycle to start :D 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Neil said:

They are over-rated. ;)

Not sure about the pink though Neil?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So today turned out a little bit more expensive than I expected... 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    So today turned out a little bit more expensive than I expected... 

Now that's a 'proper' watch! Lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    If you ever eBay it don't use that photo! Nice watch.
  • So today turned out a little bit more expensive than I expected... 

I don't like busy watch faces... 

But that is seriously nice looking. Doesn't look enormous either, very nice. Hnwd! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2446
    Very smart. Nice choice  :)
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2383
    Couple of pictures I took yesterday;

Rolex Explorer II, recently sold a website I'd been part of for a very long time, wanted a special keepsake before the money gets sunk into the house
    http://i.imgur.com/kF4EWoJh.jpg

My Tag F1, had this around 4 years now
    http://i.imgur.com/28wcdw2.jpg

Since buying the Explorer, I've really got the bug for it, should I manage to buy anymore, at least watches are easier to store :D 
    @PVO_Dave Nice! I'm not a huge fan of Explorers but that's a great colour combo. Is the 4th hand is for a second timezone or a 24h hand?

Mine has blown the Speedmaster idea out of the water a little. I wanted to get something special and this is certainly that. I'll grab a secondhand speedmaster at some point in future, and they'll keep making it forever so no need to rush, whereas this'll be around a year or two and then tweaked or discontinued, most likely. And being slightly cynical it's also a very easy watch for someone to buy as a gift... ;) *cough* Mrsf... *cough*
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5007
    I stopped wearing a watch years ago; I decided that I didn't want a lump of metal attached to my wrist.

I do think they are nice things, but they are of no use to me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    prowla said:
    I stopped wearing a watch years ago; I decided that I didn't want a lump of metal attached to my wrist.

This might not be your thread :D ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    prowla said:

What a bizarre thing to post in a thread about watches.

I take it you're okay with guitars - you know having a lump of wood (etc) attached to you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6932
    prowla said:

I used to think that. I carry a mobile phone everywhere so why do I need another timepiece. I even started a thread a few years ago questioning the need for watches.

However I bought a (relatively) cheap watch a few weeks ago and wouldn't be without one now. Here it is:

It's well spec'd for the price - Swiss Quartz movement and sapphire glass. It's not to large either. There seems to be a trend for large faces which I don't like - this one is 40mm and just right.

I do now have a problem though. I would like an automatic so I think a Tissot Visodate will be my next purchase.
    Previously known as stevebrum