Watches, then?

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    edited June 2014

Cacofonix said:
    Neil;263785" said:
    Cacofonix said:

I know someone with a genuine Mickey Mouse Rolex.  Apparently given out at a Disney premiere to the glitterati.

It is pretty cool.

They are all fakes.

Even if a real Rolex, the dials are repainted.

Nope.  It's real.  Commissioned, not repurposed.  I think Mr Walter Disney had some clout, even with the masters of the horological craft.
    I have been collecting and researching Rolex and other Swiss watches for over thirty years and have never seen what could be classed as a genuine MM Rolex.

Plenty of after market MM dialled 6694's etc but no originals.

It has been a source of debate on watch fora since the internet started and nobody has ever produced a real one although I am always open to correction if you would like to post a pic of your friends watch. 

Walt Disney wore a Rolex gold DJ.......but no mouse on the dial! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2014
    Cacofonix said:
    Neil;263785" said:
    Cacofonix said:

I know someone with a genuine Mickey Mouse Rolex.  Apparently given out at a Disney premiere to the glitterati.

It is pretty cool.

They are all fakes.

Even if a real Rolex, the dials are repainted.

Nope.  It's real.  Commissioned, not repurposed.  I think Mr Walter Disney had some clout, even with the masters of the horological craft.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I need to get another watch. I've been decent-watchless for what seems like ages now. I'm currently sporting a tatty old one Mrs C bought from Next years ago, and the only other one I've got is a Gul sailing watch that does the tide phase thing. Both of which look pathetic on my pretty large wrists.

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    I need to get another watch. I've been decent-watchless for what seems like ages now. I'm currently sporting a tatty old one Mrs C bought from Next years ago, and the only other one I've got is a Gul sailing watch that does the tide phase thing. Both of which look pathetic on my pretty large wrists.
    For large wrists, I would recommend one of the watches pictured in my post above. I know you are an F1 fan, so the Red Bull Racing Chronograph should be ideal for you!!! But, don't pay High Street prices. Get if from Amazon.   :)
    edited June 2014
    Love both of those. Steinharts are impossible to get in the UAE else I would've thought about one, but I'm happy :)

And while we're doing shiny photos...

And my Mondaine, which hasn't been worn for a couple of weeks now but is still lovely :)

Mondaine watch
    Not sure if you know but that particular Mondaine is known as the Swiss railway watch.

Large versions (in white) hang up in Swiss stations.

A very nice almost Bauhaus design.image

I've got one too..

Go on....you know you want too...   >:)

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27678
    Neil said:
    Love both of those. Steinharts are impossible to get in the UAE else I would've thought about one, but I'm happy :)

And while we're doing shiny photos...

And my Mondaine, which hasn't been worn for a couple of weeks now but is still lovely :)

Mondaine watch
    Not sure if you know but that particular Mondaine is known as the Swiss railway watch.

Large versions (in white) hang up in Swiss stations.

A very nice almost Bauhaus design.image

I've got one too..

Yeah, I did know. And I had mine way before Apple came and stole the design for their clock apps :D

It's a lovely watch, and my 25th birthday present from MrsF so always going to special.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Neil said:
    Go on....you know you want too...   >:)

Ta. I'm still thinking Yachtmaster 2 in stainless, though. Only because I don't like the one with the rose gold bits and bobs, but if I could afford the gold one, I'd have one. Maybe later this year, but who knows?

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I find the look of watches like that boring, is it just me? I wouldn't spend thousands on one.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That's funky but loses the elegance and simplicity of the non-chrono ones for me. 

The only chronos I really like a Speedmasters, Carreras and the occasional Hamilton
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice, mate. You'll be beating them off with a shitty stick, wearing one of those. Well more so than usual.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Okay, I'll play, nothing fancy here though - another Seiko fan!
    imageimageimageimageimage
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    @stickyfiddle +1 on the Mondaine. I think it looks splendid. I'd really like one of those as I quite fancy a minimal, quartz watch for the times I'm not wearing my two automatics.

Love the Seiko too. Is that the original strap? It looks nicer than the cheap jubilee job on my recent acquisition, an SKX007. I fancied a chunky dive watch and went with this model because it's a classic but definitely prefer the bezel on yours.

Here's my very modest "collection". The Seiko diver and a Datejust (which has now gone into retirement as I can't afford to get it serviced :( )

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    There are some hairy arms in this thread...
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Basher said:
    @stickyfiddle +1 on the Mondaine. I think it looks splendid. I'd really like one of those as I quite fancy a minimal, quartz watch for the times I'm not wearing my two automatics.

Love the Seiko too. Is that the original strap? It looks nicer than the cheap jubilee job on my recent acquisition, an SKX007. I fancied a chunky dive watch and went with this model because it's a classic but definitely prefer the bezel on yours.

Yup. It's remarkably good quality for the price. I had to take it off and tighten the bits where it attaches to the watch lugs (must have a specific name but I don't know!) as that was kingly on both sides but it's only bending a bit of bent metal a little further so only took 10 minutes. 
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2487
    @Basher if you fancy a better strap for your 007 this chap does some of the best.
    Not cheap but the quality is second to none. I've got one of his "Super President" ones on my SKX011 and it's seriously nice.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    Basher said:

Here's my very modest "collection". The Seiko diver and a Datejust (which has now gone into retirement as I can't afford to get it serviced :( )

Basher, you look like an EDL thug in that first piccy!

I'll get me coat..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Basher said:

@Basher  The Seiko 007's are great value and quality.

I have mine on rubber. 

Shame about the DJ going into retirement, I guess a family heirloom?

If you are interested in selling as is drop me a PM. 
    :)
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    edited June 2014
    @chillidoggy I see what you mean. It's unfortunate as I can assure you that my political views are very much towards the left of centre and, being half Irish, I have significant issues with much of what passes for English patriotism.

@Neil It's from the mid-1980s. I wasn't particularly after one and I guess they're a bit naff in many ways. I bought it about 15 years later from a friend who collected watches and thought it too chunky! How times have changed! Everyone seems to want something like a carriage clock strapped to their wrists these days. 
    I'm going to keep it. It reminds me of a time of my life when I was relatively well off. It seems like a very long time ago! 
    It's just that it's never been serviced (to my knowledge) and it looks like I'll have to fork out more than I paid for it for that particular privilege. Thought it better to spend a quarter of that on the Seiko and just use the Roller for "ceremonial" occasions :) 
    Was tempted by the rubber strap on the Seiko but thought I'd try the jubilee as I like the one on my datejust and it's usually cheaper to buy an aftermarket rubber strap if I want to try that option. The jubilee is very comfortable but maybe lacks the heft of a deceny oyster. Still, I can't be arsed paying nearly as much again just to have a beefy strap so, for now, the jubilee stays.