Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12049
    edited June 2019
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    fandango said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    the concept is essentially a rip-off of Goodnight Sweetheart though (yes the Nicholas Lyndhurst sitcom) hope Boyle gives credit where it's due...
    Not seen GNS but the description from google

“Nicholas Lyndhurst stars as Gary Sparrow in this time-travelling comedy series. Gary Sparrow lives in London with his wife during the 1990s, but after discovering a time portal he finds he can go back to the 1940s, to the same area, at the time of the Second World War. As he travels back and forth between the two periods, he meets another woman in the 1940s era and begins to lead a double life. Only his best friend Ron knows about Gary's dual existence, and he tries to help him along the way whenever the time traveller struggles between his two worlds.”

Yesterday -

does not not involve time travel.
    he does not go back and forth.
    no one else knows (to a point) and no one helps him.
    its not different time periods, this assumes simply The Beatles never existed.  More like he is in a different timeline all of the sudden.

It reads like they are two totally different ideas.

I say the concept, not the bloody screenplay

You're flogging a dead horse. I agree with RaymondLin.
    Agree with him all you like but you'll be funding plagiarism, and God will judge you for it.
    If you got proof, I am all for it, show us, but if you don't and want to keep going, you just look like you are another nut job on the internet.

On IMDB, Boyle isn't even listed under writing credits.  So all the more baffling why you blame him and not a single mention Richard Curtis or Jack Barth, it reads more like you have an axe to grind, and even some kind of jealousy since all your attention has been directed at Boyle.

p.s. God is the Devil, if he does exist, to watch all these innocent people die all over the world and let all the injustice takes place.  Save the judging, he need to judge himself for doing nothing when he has the power to do so.  Don't give me that God works in mysterious ways, if it's actually God's intention then Boyle's plagiarism is done on his watch, therefore he allowed it and supports it.  If he dislike it so much he would do something about it.

Right? 
    Well if Boyle can't give credit where it's due, why should I credit Curtis? Works both ways you see.

2 - 0
    I asked for proof, not chitchat. 

Boyle didn't write it, he didn't create it, he was asked to direct it AFTER the story was written.  Yet you are blaming him first and foremost.

Why? 

You won't say why, you just want to blame him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7201
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    fandango said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    the concept is essentially a rip-off of Goodnight Sweetheart though (yes the Nicholas Lyndhurst sitcom) hope Boyle gives credit where it's due...

“Nicholas Lyndhurst stars as Gary Sparrow in this time-travelling comedy series. Gary Sparrow lives in London with his wife during the 1990s, but after discovering a time portal he finds he can go back to the 1940s, to the same area, at the time of the Second World War. As he travels back and forth between the two periods, he meets another woman in the 1940s era and begins to lead a double life. Only his best friend Ron knows about Gary's dual existence, and he tries to help him along the way whenever the time traveller struggles between his two worlds.”

Yesterday -

its not different time periods, this assumes simply The Beatles never existed.  More like he is in a different timeline all of the sudden.

Agree with him all you like but you'll be funding plagiarism, and God will judge you for it.
    If you got proof, I am all for it, show us, but if you don't and want to keep going, you just look like you are another nut job on the internet.

On IMDB, Boyle isn't even listed under writing credits.  So all the more baffling why you blame him and not a single mention Richard Curtis or Jack Barth, it reads more like you have an axe to grind, and even some kind of jealousy since all your attention has been directed at Boyle.

p.s. God is the Devil, if he does exist, to watch all these innocent people die all over the world and let all the injustice takes place.  Save the judging, he need to judge himself for doing nothing when he has the power to do so.  Don't give me that God works in mysterious ways, if it's actually God's intention then Boyle's plagiarism is done on his watch, therefore he allowed it and supports it.  If he dislike it so much he would do something about it.

Right? 
    Well if Boyle can't give credit where it's due, why should I credit Curtis? Works both ways you see.

2 - 0
    I'm not sure you could handle the truth though Raymond.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    edited June 2019
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    fandango said:
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:

Yesterday -

Right? 

2 - 0
    I'm not sure you could handle the truth though Raymond.
    All I see is chitchat..

Boring. 

Look, I am all for it, if you are just willing to spill, otherwise you can keep that tin foil hat on really.
    I have the answers Raymond, I can assure you of that. But are you worthy? Can I trust you?

Are you willing to prove yourself a true follower on the path to enlightenment?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2019
    tony99 said:
    I have the answers Raymond, I can assure you of that. But are you worthy? Can I trust you?

You are essentially asking me to trust a random on the internet on his word.

If you have proof, put it public for all to see.  Put up or shut up.

I have nothing to prove, you are the one making baseless allegations while wearing a massive tin foil hat and talk about God.   3 times I've asked for proof now and none given.

You've had your chances. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    What are you guys arguing about? Is it plagiarism, or copyright violation?

Neither of these terms apply to what you’ve been talking about. You can’t copyright an idea or a concept in film. You can copyright how you execute it, the character names, the dialogue, the progression from scene to scene and how it’s shot etc. 

Plagiarism requires some specifics to be established including knowledge of the original work, an intention to use it, and actual lifting of some of the original product and used as-is. 

In academia, plagiarism is the wholesale lifting of someone else’s work and fobbing it off as your own - word for word. 

You’re talking about a concept or idea - it’s not plagiarism or copyright violation. You might argue that the film is using an idea that’s been around before (there’s a lot more work than just GNS with this general concept in it - (look up the Nick Milligan novel Enormity - you could accuse him of ripping off GNS as well))

Now, it might be morally wrong to steal ideas but that’s a whole different debate. Star Wars is the development of ideas from a couple of comics from the 60s - it’s pretty much the norm in all films..

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    What are you guys arguing about? Is it plagiarism, or copyright violation?

Neither of these terms apply to what you’ve been talking about. You can’t copyright an idea or a concept in film. You can copyright how you execute it, the character names, the dialogue, the progression from scene to scene and how it’s shot etc. 

Plagiarism requires some specifics to be established including knowledge of the original work, an intention to use it, and actual lifting of some of the original product and used as-is. 

In academia, plagiarism is the wholesale lifting of someone else’s work and fobbing it off as your own - word for word. 

You’re talking about a concept or idea - it’s not plagiarism or copyright violation. You might argue that the film is using an idea that’s been around before (there’s a lot more work than just GNS with this general concept in it - (look up the Nick Milligan novel Enormity - you could accuse him of ripping off GNS as well))

Now, it might be morally wrong to steal ideas but that’s a whole different debate. Star Wars is the development of ideas from a couple of comics from the 60s - it’s pretty much the norm in all films..

I know all this, but I don't think he does, but let him have the floor to put his case forward which he failed to do.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:

You are essentially asking me to trust a random on the internet on his word.

If you have proof, put it public for all to see.  Put up or shut up.

I have nothing to prove, you are the one making baseless allegations while wearing a massive tin foil hat and talk about God.   3 times I've asked for proof now and none given.

You've had your chances. 
    I'm asking you to open your mind Raymond, that's all.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    But did you enjoy the Film?....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I was looking forward to seeing it till someone likened it to a Richard Curtis movie. That's put me right off.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    I was looking forward to seeing it till someone likened it to a Richard Curtis movie. That's put me right off.

Not likened, it IS a Richard Curtis movie.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    Gary Sparrow meets Life on Mars. Be told.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6821
    With all this discussion about plagiarism, we're being distracted from the fact that poor old Fender with their turbo-charged marketing, get product all over the this film.

Jeez, they've sussed it... 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    merlin said:
    With all this discussion about plagiarism, we're being distracted from the fact that poor old Fender with their turbo-charged marketing, get product all over the this film.

Jeez, they've sussed it... 
    Once again Rickenbacker miss the boat...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16353
    How so Life on Mars? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    How so Life on Mars? 
    in Life on Mars he gets hit by a car and wakes up in a parallel universe, in the Boyle film he gets hit by a bus and wakes up in a parallel universe
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284
    I saw it at the weekend, and loved it.

It's not in-depth political thriller, it's typical (and very English) Richard Curtis fare and all the better for that.

Reminded me of just how good (lyrically) so many of the Beatles songs are, something I tend to forget because musically much isn't to my taste.

It's nothing like Life on Mars in my opinion, given how Life on Mars ended.

It's not a film which will change the world, but very enjoyable entertainment IMHO
    tony99 said:
    How so Life on Mars? 
    in Life on Mars he gets hit by a car and wakes up in a parallel universe, in the Boyle film he gets hit by a bus and wakes up in a parallel universe
    You sure have a lot to say on a film that you haven't seen.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    How so Life on Mars? 
    You sure have a lot to say on a film that you haven't seen.
    Calm down Raymond. It's a discussion forum. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16353
    tony99 said:
    How so Life on Mars? 
    Ahh. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.