Gibson R8 or Harley Benton with Pickup Upgrades?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    Three-ColourSunburst said:

The guitar in the picture is the Harley Benton SC550 reviewed by Agufish and is fiited with Wilkinson pickups. It is not the Chibson you played that had Duncans in it. ;)
    The guitar in the picture I posted is a Chibson with Duncans in it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19319
    Gassage said:
    So, just musing- extending this concept to the point of silliness, should I get a Porsche 911 Turbo S, or a Reliant Robin with an extra wheel and a pair of Rolls Royce Olympus Turbojets with afterburners strapped to the roof?

Which should I get? I'm in a quandry.
    Sorted :+1: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

The guitar in the picture I posted is a Chibson with Duncans in it.
    Ah, I see. I was getting confused as to which guitar we were talking about. Still, under 8lb for a Chibson, and a 'typical of old-grown mahogany' heft for the Harley Benton, add in the long-necked tenon and perhaps we should be comparing Harley Bentons to the 'R' models, not those hollowed-out, circuit board equipped Standards. :)
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Neil said:
    ICBM said:
    The Chibson in the pic above weighed under 8lb, by the way...
    Well, balsa is a very light wood.  ;)
    He was joking. If you want a 'balsa wood density' Les Paul, you apparently need to sort through a load of R8s and R9s, as folklore has it that the 'better quality' (come lower quality) better sustaining (come less sustaining) more 'toneful' (come less toneful) higher mojo (come lower mojo) come who the fek knows lighter stuff is reserved for these.

I'm no expert on wood, but a quick search suggest that in reality high-density mahogany is characteristic of old, naturally grown trees, whilst younger plantation grown trees tend to produce lower density timber which, as a consequence, is also mechanically inferior to the denser, forest grown timber in terns of strength, resistance to crushing and so on, as well as being more prone to shrinkage. Overall, it does seem that higher-density mahogany is on most counts, actually better quality than the low density stuff.
    It's the other way around. The older slow grown stuff is lighter. The newer more intensively farmed and quicker grown stuff is denser. 
    That's actually what I thought I remember reading but I didn't want to reply cause I was quite unsure about it.

Seem to remember something about it being dried more quickly in recent years as well? Possibly mixing that up with another topic though.
    Gassage said:
    So, just musing- extending this concept to cars, should I get a Porsche 911 Turbo S, or a Reliant Robin with an extra wheel and a pair of Rolls Royce Olympus Turbojets with afterburners strapped to the roof?

Just imagine you actually could get new cars for a couple of grand that really were as close to luxury cars as 500 quid guitars are to their luxury counterparts. Would be fantastic.
  • Gassage said:
    So, just musing- extending this concept to cars, should I get a Porsche 911 Turbo S, or a Reliant Robin with an extra wheel and a pair of Rolls Royce Olympus Turbojets with afterburners strapped to the roof?

Way over-extending more like. Unless you know of a Chinese copy 911, with the same design but a different badge.
    Gassage said:

Way over-extending more like. Unless you know of a Chinese copy 911, with the same design but a different badge.
    I'm sure he's just joking.
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited July 2019
    thegummy said:

Seem to remember something about it being dried more quickly in recent years as well? Possibly mixing that up with another topic though.
    You probably saw something about Gibson's vacuum-drying kiln, where instead of waiting months for the wood to dry out naturally, they suck the water out under negative pressure - all part of their cost-cutting, industrial process approach to making guitars. You can see it in this video from around 2:14.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27653
    thegummy said:
    Gassage said:

I'm sure he's just joking.
    I don't know - you can get a "Chacan" in China

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    A fair cop. Serves me right for listening to YT videos.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A fair cop. Serves me right for listening to YT videos.
     :)  ;)  
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited July 2019
    Gassage said:

No need, just bolt those wheels and components to a HB. 

Same thing just much cheaper. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Completely unrelated guys but I'm trying to decide whether to spend the night with Vanessa Feltz or Scarlett Johanssen this evening - I've been assured that the end result will be basically the same but I just can't shake the feeling that one will be a more enjoyable experience....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3421
    edited July 2019
    I posted another thread about this, but I think a much more interesting comparison is Squier vs Fender or Epiphone vs Gibson.

Then a bit like saying should I buy an Audi RS3 or a Seat Leon and the 365bhp upgrade.
    https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22429/seat-leon-cupra-r-st-announced-with-optional-365bhp-upgrade
    johnl said:
    Completely unrelated guys but I'm trying to decide whether to spend the night with Vanessa Feltz or Scarlett Johanssen this evening - I've been assured that the end result will be basically the same but I just can't shake the feeling that one will be a more enjoyable experience....
    No brainer, you'll have far more laughs & a better conversation out of Ms Feltz  ;) :3
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    A good Epiphone is a very, very good guitar. If Gibson got rid of the ridiculous headstock (which looks sort of alrightish on a 335 but awful on everything else) then they'd completely take over the "Les Paul but cheaper" market.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    I for one am now, genuinely, highly tempted to buy a HB and give it a spin. 
    edited July 2019
    ^  To johnl. Agreed, I have several lovely Epiphone's.
    The thing is, if Gibson changed the Epiphone headstock to an open book, they would kill their profits and damage their marketing strategy.
     Epiphone Standard LP around £400, Entry level Gibson LP Faded Bourbon £600 (from £750) Lowest Gibson LP Standard £1700 ( GuitarGuitar, figures may vary with sellers).
    That's a hell of an ask for any company.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11059
    edited July 2019 tFB Trader
    johnl said:
    A good Epiphone is a very, very good guitar. If Gibson got rid of the ridiculous headstock (which looks sort of alrightish on a 335 but awful on everything else) then they'd completely take over the "Les Paul but cheaper" market.
    Totally this. Actually the HB headstock is way better looking than the Epi LP one.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    The thing is, if Gibson changed the Epiphone headstock to an open book, they would kill their profits and damage their marketing strategy.
     Epiphone Standard LP around £400, Entry level Gibson LP Faded Bourbon £600 (from £750) Lowest Gibson LP Standard £1700 ( GuitarGuitar, figures may vary with sellers).
    That's a hell of an ask for any company.

But Squiers and MIM Fenders, with proper Fender headstocks, don't seem to damage Fender USA sales or profits.

I know the respective ranges and marketing strategies have developed over decades, but fundamentally they're analogous situations.