Gibson R8 or Harley Benton with Pickup Upgrades?

What's Hot
1141516171820»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Who would pay £10k for an iphone hand-built in the UK?
    How would it be better than one made in China?
    It would have hand-turned mahogany legs and smell of real ale.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12297
    The thread is back!  Back again!!!
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7254
    I fear I may be to blame.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Cols said:
    I fear I may be to blame.
    Ah.  I see why. :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11055
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

The beast itself: a 1948 Leesona.
    Between the wire reels and the winding chucks you can see the 'common traverse' rail, with its wire tensioner and feed head. 
    Basically this was a machine built for mass production, three coils being wound at the same time. I believe Gibson had at least two of these, one for slug coils, one for screw coils. 
    The irony being that if you used a machine like this to create two perfectly matched coils at the same time with identical numbers of turns and wire tension, the resulting pickup probably wouldn’t sound great - humbuckers generally sounding best with slightly mismatched coils.
    They  had one Leesona for slug coils and one for screw coils ... so variations between the two machines accounted for coil offset. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12076
    ICBM said:
    Just for a bit of a diversion... if I had a Harley Benton, and I wanted to gig with it, which component(s) would I regard as an essential upgrade?

Clue - the devil is in the details.
    pickups and switch
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1522
    ICBM said:
    Just for a bit of a diversion... if I had a Harley Benton, and I wanted to gig with it, which component(s) would I regard as an essential upgrade?

Clue - the devil is in the details.
    pickups and switch
    Decals?

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnl said:
    Feel, action, intonation, neck angle, weight? All of those are related to a degree and whilst a setup will help with some it won't get you all the way there. Certainly one of the positives of HB is that they usually come pretty well set up out of the box which helps. If I were to lend you both my HB and my R8 and said you could keep one of them I'm pretty sure I know which one I'd get back :)
    Only because the Gibson has a high sell on price,surely? Hide the maker's name and it might be different.