Agghhhhh, this Sixty Six is driving me crazy

What's Hot
dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
Every time I look at it, I fall in love and every time I pick it up, I’m left disappointed. 

How many times will I fail to make myself love it before I can take it back :(
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Totally know the feeling.

I'm continually drawn to Teles cause of how good they look but I just don't like the sound.

Same with Gibson Thunderbird, though I seem to be more accepting of not actually wanting one of those despite the look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    Take it back and keep the Tele. It's clearly the one you really like.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    ICBM said:
    Take it back and keep the Tele. It's clearly the one you really like.
    The tele is absolutely a keeper. Was meant to be something that was fun and I was happy to leave around the smalls to encourage them. It’s great that it’s turned out to be as enjoyable as it is. 

Doesn’t take away the (childish) sadness that the Sixty Six ticks so many boxes of what I like in a guitar and I really REALLY wanted to love it. 

Still, at least I got the opportunity to find out. Have to be grateful for that :)
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    maybe tray a Filtertron in the bridge :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TheMarlin said:
    maybe tray a Filtertron in the bridge :)
    I suspect that would improve it a lot but I’m of the mind that a guitar should come home and be enjoyable as it is. I’m not in the camp where a £700 guitar is budget and should immediately need modding 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    I have to agree with you there. However, it depends how far the disconnect is. What exactly is it about the Sixty Six that disappoints?
    dazzajl said:

Doesn’t take away the (childish) sadness that the Sixty Six ticks so many boxes of what I like in a guitar and I really REALLY wanted to love it. 

Still, at least I got the opportunity to find out. Have to be grateful for that :)
    I had a Rickenbacker like that - I ordered it from new, the only guitar I ever have, because it was a model I'd always thought was perfect visually. But I never liked it, there was just something wrong about the sound... I ended up foolishly modding it to try to make it right, but eventually ended up selling it for a big loss a couple of years later.

If you've got the opportunity to return the Fender before that happens, take it.

Ironically I recently acquired a quite similar Rickenbacker completely by accident - in many ways I shouldn't have even wanted it, it's so knackered and hacked about... but it's just RIGHT. And although it's also a genuine vintage guitar - the same age as me, too - it cost no more than I got for the 'wrong' one, so it all worked out oddly well in the end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    dazzajl said:

Still, at least I got the opportunity to find out. Have to be grateful for that

If you've got the opportunity to return the Fender before that happens, take it
    I’m with your thinking here. Sometimes it’s not meant not to be and wasting more cash chasing something I can’t even define doesn’t feel clever. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7348
    Take it back
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • martmart Frets: 5213
    Keep on trying with the 66, until just after the returns period. Then put it up for sale on here for a bargain price. *

* This may not be wholly objective disinterested advice. ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 467
    Had a similar experience with the Powercaster, more than once I've tried it and been underwhelmed. Didn't buy it, luckily
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    The Sixty Six was a short run model. (It has already been discontinued.) Another of Fender’s “what if…?” hybrid designs. 

The idea appeals on paper, mock up prototype or in CAD rendering. We can project our fantasies onto the design for how it will sound, feel and look. The designs may not live up to expectations.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    Totally know the feeling.

I'm continually drawn to Teles cause of how good they look but I just don't like the sound.

Same with Gibson Thunderbird, though I seem to be more accepting of not actually wanting one of those despite the look.
    That is weird. I think they are ugly, but I love the sound. 
    I wouldn't even play one for 40+ years. 
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
  • ummm... Thats Tele (not t-bird)
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    The Sixty Six was a short run model. (It has already been discontinued.) Another of Fender’s “what if…?” hybrid designs.
    “What if we get all those left-over bits that we can’t think of anything to do with and jam them together in a design that doesn’t quite work, then actually tool up for it and go into production...”?

;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676
    Take it back if you need to convince yourself to keep it for reasons other than monetary ;)
    Well it's gone and that was definitely the wise path. 

I have brought something a little more foolish home to take it's place and so far, it seems like a very good choice.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    Oooh, Supro? There's a store near me doing them for good prices. Very tempting. How do you like the sound?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20598
    edited July 2019
    Looks like you can resist everything but temptation  Nice gold foil. Supro?