Agghhhhh, this Sixty Six is driving me crazy

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    DeeTee said:
    Oooh, Supro? There's a store near me doing them for good prices. Very tempting. How do you like the sound?
    I’ve got @dazzajl’s Supro Belmont on loan, absolutely love it.  Looking forward to trying this new Supro Westbury
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6232
    DeeTee said:
    Oooh, Supro? There's a store near me doing them for good prices. Very tempting. How do you like the sound?
    I like it and as you say, there's always a model being blown out at about half list price somewhere. The sounds lends itself to gritty and a little raw but will clean up and play nice if you want it to. It's not a muddy dirt though, there is plenty of sparkle and bite at the bridge and nice warmth from the neck

Looks like you can resist everything but temptation  Nice gold foil. Supro?
    I've always stood by everything in moderation. But especially moderation. That's my guitar splurging for the year done now and I've got two planks I'm very pleased with for a little over £500. I thought you'd approve.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20598
    dazzajl said:
    DeeTee said:
    I like it and as you say, there's always a model being blown out at about half list price somewhere. The sounds lends itself to gritty and a little raw but will clean up and play nice if you want it to. It's not a muddy dirt though, there is plenty of sparkle and bite at the bridge and nice warmth from the neck

Looks like you can resist everything but temptation  Nice gold foil. Supro?
    I've always stood by everything in moderation. But especially moderation. That's my guitar splurging for the year done now and I've got two planks I'm very pleased with for a little over £500. I thought you'd approve.
    How could anyone not approve, ROFL  =)
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    You never said why you didn’t bond with the sixty six ?
    ive just picked up a used one and I love it, great comfy neck, looks killer, absolutely love the neck pickup and the in between sounds.. Humbucker sounds great too, not tried it with any great amount of gain yet, but love it more cleans and breaking up tones.
    #thebatesmotelband
    BGG said:
    ive just picked up a used one and I love it, great comfy neck, looks killer, absolutely love the neck pickup and the in between sounds.. Humbucker sounds great too, not tried it with any great amount of gain yet, but love it more cleans and breaking up tones.
    It was completely lifeless and dull sounding. Nothing about it was inspiring to play or listen to. 

I played two in the shop, the blue that I brought home and a natural one and I decided I liked the blue more of the two and went home a very happy chappy. I'd lusted after this crossover of a favourite guitar and favourite bass sine the photos were first released and I kinda have to assume I was totally blinded (well, deafened) by my emotional need to love it. I hope that this was just a dud and that others have that magic life and sparkle but I've not even seen one since, let alone played one to find out.

Love that yours is hitting the spot, balances out my experience at least. Have we seen pics yet????? :)
    Actually, thinking a little more about this now, I love the idea of an HSS guitar but I’ve never really bonded with one yet. I love Strats and have my first HSS now. It’s good but I’m not enjoying it as much as a traditional set up. I’m a huge Duesenberg fan and couldn’t wait to get to my hands on a Paloma but when I did, it never satisfied like the very similar Caribou and its HB/P90 layout.

So maybe that’s also a part of it? My inability to find the magic in HSS
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    dazzajl said:
    BGG said:
    It was completely lifeless and dull sounding. Nothing about it was inspiring to play or listen to. … I was totally blinded (well, deafened) by my emotional need to love it. I hope that this was just a dud and that others have that magic life and sparkle but I've not even seen one since, let alone played one to find out.
    My nearest Fender dealer had one. I cannot recall whether it was a customer order or whether the proprietor was hoping to exploit the “be the first on your block to own one of these” market demographic. 

Either way, I filed it under dud.

The guitar did eventually sell but, within months, the buyer wanted to trade it back in for a “boring” S or T type guitar.

I regret to say that I fail to understand why FMIC is bothering with Photoshop Universe mongrel designs when they have the old standbys for Blues Dads and the Charvel ProMod stuff for shredheads. 

The one exception to my sweeping generalisation is the MIJ Pawnshop ‘51. Give it a tone control, a proper selector switch and, maybe, a less aggressive humbucker and you have a great electric guitar … with a fugly pickguard.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    edited October 2020
    TheMarlin said:
    DeeTee said:
    I’ve got @dazzajl’s Supro Belmont on loan, absolutely love it.  Looking forward to trying this new Supro Westbury
    I actually liked a Silverwood that I played. It was the Gibson scale which I prefer (although somehow I end up buying 25.5” guitars ...).

i thought it was also very well made.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 703
    Well I’m finding it way more inspiring than my PRS Silver Sky at the minute and I love that. 
    I think the Tele pickup in the neck works great, gives it a bit more roundness ? 
    Shame the Paloma didn’t work out for you, I could fancy one in the future as I have a Starplayer TV Outlaw which is fantastic and a keeper. 
    #thebatesmotelband