Pedals I do not recommend

What's Hot

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    meltedbuzzbox;242052" said:
    I like the danger factor of the fuzz factory and with the exception of the first time I pressed the switch on it and kicked the knobs its not been an issue.

Bad Pedals

Morley classic wah - it has no sweep. 

Boss - HM2,CS2,CS3,FZ(latest fuzz pedal)DS1,DS2, err the choruses I found all of them characterless

Vox Satchurator - just meh

TC Electronics Nova Modulator - not practical for stage use, too fiddly.

Marshall regenerator - terrible

boss gt series

DOD Milkbox - crap

Line 6 tri chorus - blerrrrrrrrrgh
    Wow, I like the hm2, ce3, fz, ds1, ds2 (one of my favourite sounds ever is John frusciante opening slane castle - it's a ds2 on turbo, I'm sure!), satchurator was good...

I feel we might be quite different people :p
    When I was younger I used to like and own the ds1 + ds2. I would say it is unfair to Frusciante to imply his tone all comes from the ds2 and not his amp and 62 strat.

I always found the boss chorus to lack depth and a lush sound. Like a small clone for instance.

You can buy my satchurator if you like?

The boss fuzz fz3???? Does a nice classic 60s/70s fuzz but not a lot else.

Ahh I have not tried a HM2, I meant the metal zone, that thing is hideous
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yup, metal zone is hideous ;) hm2 does one sound.

I don't know, turbo mode has a really distinctive sound. I mean, Marshall jubilee and strat help a lot, but it has that really distinctive turbo mode tone all over it. It pretty much is only good for that sound, but it's worth the asking price for that alone.

Imo etc etc :p this is a really interesting thread!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The metal zone is a great example of how good marketing can make a crappy product succeed. It seems that anyone who plays heavier music has had one before and yet not a single person has ever said that they liked it..
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Branshen said:
    The metal zone is a great example of how good marketing can make a crappy product succeed. It seems that anyone who plays heavier music has had one before and yet not a single person has ever said that they liked it..
    I like it, but I don't play heavier music really. OK, I don't like it quite enough to own one…

It's a very fussy pedal to dial in, and it only works well into a powerful amp, but it can sound good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    With the MT2, I believe Entombed used them on Wolverine Blues but Im not 100% on that. However, thats a awesome sound. For the rest of us using one, its a bucket of plop.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Each to his own.

Yup, metal zone is hideous ;) hm2 does one sound.

HM2 does quite a bit. Granted it IS noted for not having much variation in distortion between about 9 o clock and three o clock which is a bit maddening, but put in the time and there's actually quite a lot you can make it do. 

Then again  I am not from Scandinavia and don't play death metal through a JCM800, so the 'everything full on' thing is not really how I use it   ;)
  • skayskay Frets: 412
    The Boss HM-2 was my main overdrive for a few years in the early nineties, I bought one second-hand as I thought it sounded like the Smashing Pumpkins to me, there was no internet in 1993 to find out Billy Corgan was actually using a Big Muff!

It sounded best to me when the 'color' mix L was near max and the 'color' mix H was almost minimum, the gain knob as mentioned above didn't really change the sound that much. This setting sounded really great playing alone, but it kinda got lost in the mix as that was a pretty scooped sound, although a 100w Laney half stack helped me 'cut through the mix' ok ;-D

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1580
    edited May 2014
    thomasw88 said:
    Lazy j. cruiser was a truly awful pedal that I could not get to sound good. Also really didn't like the full drive fulltone 2 pedal I had
    Funny, I own both and love them! Either our tastes are completely different (I like vintage type tones) or your amp was just not compatible with them for whatever reason! 

TC Flashback was notably bad, totally over hyped and a toneless digital sounding delay. Not fond of flangers or digital multi fx either!
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Digitech Death metal - God awful sounding thing
    Digitech Synth Wah - actually good fun on its own at home but completely inaudible in a band context
    Danelectro Cool Cat transparent overdrive - horrible, boxy sounding lifeless thing - gave it away
    Danelectro Black Liqorice - just shite in every possible way
    Marshall Guvnor 2 - cracking sounding thing, great QOTSA type compressed drive but the switch is made from paper
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    thomasw88 said:
    Lazy j. cruiser was a truly awful pedal that I could not get to sound good. Also really didn't like the full drive fulltone 2 pedal I had
    Funny, I own both and love them! Either our tastes are completely different (I like vintage type tones) or your amp was just not compatible with them for whatever reason! 

TC Flashback was notably bad, totally over hyped and a toneless digital sounding delay. Not fond of flangers or digital multi fx either!
    Yip we're all different. I love my Lazy J Cruiser but hated my full drive. And I love the TC Flashback. 
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    I have seen pedals that didn't work with my setup but rarely pedals I would not recommend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25001
    Boss CH1 Super Chorus. Just rubbish compared to its analogue forebears.

@ICBM has often made the very valid point that each time Boss release a replacement pedal in their range, it always seems to be worse than the out-going version....
    Boss CH1 Super Chorus. Just rubbish compared to its analogue forebears.

@ICBM has often made the very valid point that each time Boss release a replacement pedal in their range, it always seems to be worse than the out-going version....
    Actually the CH-1 and the CE-5 were both analogue originally, but later replaced by digital versions without altering the appearance or the name. Confusing if you're buying one - the only easy giveaway is the dark grey 'Class B Computing Device' label on the digital one, the older analogue versions had either blue or pink labels. The analogue ones are actually quite nice.

Otherwise, I generally agree… with a few exceptions such as the DD-7 vs the DD-6 and DD-5. Although I expect even those have their fans who don't like the 7.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3197
    edited May 2014
    Rocktek compressor. Dogshit.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    Digitech Death metal - God awful sounding thing
    Digitech Synth Wah - actually good fun on its own at home but completely inaudible in a band context
    Danelectro Cool Cat transparent overdrive - horrible, boxy sounding lifeless thing - gave it away
    Danelectro Black Liqorice - just shite in every possible way
    Marshall Guvnor 2 - cracking sounding thing, great QOTSA type compressed drive but the switch is made from paper
    I had and loved that pedal but you are 100% right. I got rid of it because its like a foghorn in a library
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319

RockTek Metal Worker, also dogshit.

I wasn't a fan of the EHX Double Muff or Nano Clone, either - the former really had no right having the word 'Muff' anywhere on it as it was a pretty nondescript overdrive / distortion at best, and the Nano Clone sounded average, sucked 'tone' when off and was a PITA to power.

I'm sure there's more, I've been through a few...

IanSavage said:

I wasn't a fan of the EHX Double Muff or Nano Clone, either - the former really had no right having the word 'Muff' anywhere on it as it was a pretty nondescript overdrive / distortion at best

I liked the Double Muff - it was halfway between a fuzz and an overdrive, one of the rarer combinations - but it didn't play well with other effects… in particular it hated buffers in front, and went very thin and shrill - which also meant it wouldn't work properly with a wah before it either.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7491
    speaking of muffs the metal muff was a huge dissapointment, utterly balls.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    ICBM said:
    IanSavage said:

I wasn't a fan of the EHX Double Muff or Nano Clone, either - the former really had no right having the word 'Muff' anywhere on it as it was a pretty nondescript overdrive / distortion at best

I liked the Double Muff - it was halfway between a fuzz and an overdrive, one of the rarer combinations - but it didn't play well with other effects… in particular it hated buffers in front, and went very thin and shrill - which also meant it wouldn't work properly with a wah before it either.
    That might have been where I was going wrong, I think I was using it with a Morley Tremonti in front of it which IIRC is buffered?