Pedals I do not recommend

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    mike257 said:
    ICBM said:
    IanSavage said:

I wasn't a fan of the EHX Double Muff or Nano Clone, either - the former really had no right having the word 'Muff' anywhere on it as it was a pretty nondescript overdrive / distortion at best

I liked the Double Muff - it was halfway between a fuzz and an overdrive, one of the rarer combinations - but it didn't play well with other effects… in particular it hated buffers in front, and went very thin and shrill - which also meant it wouldn't work properly with a wah before it either.
    This.  I loved my old Double Muff.  It's based on two stacked Muff overdrives, not the Big Muff fuzz, so I think a lot of people get them with misplaced expectations of double fuzziness!  I got some great tones out of it so long as it stayed at the front of the chain, although I've seen schems for simple mods to make it play nicer with other pedals in front.  Great drive sounds into a valve amp and the single Muff mode worked surprisingly well into a Marshall AVT to warm it up and make it a bit more dynamic.  Lots of possibilities, mine only went as part of my self-enforced massive board downsize.

That has just reminded me of my old double muff. I loved the sound and with the right amp (small, valve, loud) it's about as close as I ever got to the 70s Billy Gibbons tone...that slightly fuzzed around the edges overdrive sound....but that pedal hated everything else on my board. Still might have to revisit one very soon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    mike257 said:
    ICBM said:
    IanSavage said:

I wasn't a fan of the EHX Double Muff or Nano Clone, either - the former really had no right having the word 'Muff' anywhere on it as it was a pretty nondescript overdrive / distortion at best

I liked the Double Muff - it was halfway between a fuzz and an overdrive, one of the rarer combinations - but it didn't play well with other effects… in particular it hated buffers in front, and went very thin and shrill - which also meant it wouldn't work properly with a wah before it either.
    This.  I loved my old Double Muff.  It's based on two stacked Muff overdrives, not the Big Muff fuzz, so I think a lot of people get them with misplaced expectations of double fuzziness!  I got some great tones out of it so long as it stayed at the front of the chain, although I've seen schems for simple mods to make it play nicer with other pedals in front.  Great drive sounds into a valve amp and the single Muff mode worked surprisingly well into a Marshall AVT to warm it up and make it a bit more dynamic.  Lots of possibilities, mine only went as part of my self-enforced massive board downsize.

That has just reminded me of my old double muff. I loved the sound and with the right amp (small, valve, loud) it's about as close as I ever got to the 70s Billy Gibbons tone...that slightly fuzzed around the edges overdrive sound....but that pedal hated everything else on my board. Still might have to revisit one very soon.

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5316
    Wampler velvet fuzz did nothing for me!
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    Metal Zone