Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

They've still got it - Black Crowes reunion!

What's Hot

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    New albums of covers from 1972 out soon - good news they are back in the studio, so possibly future new music from them.

https://youtu.be/XMIyT4PsnSk
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22952
    edited April 2022
    I might have to listen to it since they've got Isaiah Mitchell on board.  I just hope he keeps his other bands active...

(Edit:  Just realised that's a repeat of what I said on the previous page.  Two years ago.  Pre-Covid.)

And they've got Pep Guardiola engineering it...

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    I can't imagine  Black Crowes coming anywhere close to Earthless as a live band so I hope Isaiah hasn't knocked them on hehead
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6501
    edited April 2022
    On the fence about this… Black Crowes are a band I love…but this is mostly a whole new band.
    That doesn’t mean it’s not a good band…but it’s certainly a different one.
    That said, they had tons of musicians over the course of their previous incarnations (Luther Dickinson being my personal favourite guitarist they had), so who were ‘The Black Crowes’ anyway?

I think I’ll miss Steve Gorman the most. Perfect drummer for this music.

Wouldn’t shell out silly money to see them live, but I’ll be looking out for YouTube clips and a DVD too.

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1414
    edited April 2022
    Gorman obviously has other ideas (and is suing again, I believe) but The Black Crowes has always been the Robinson brothers plus other musicians along for the ride. The current "anniversary" tour is a fairly naked exercise in just making a bit of money (as are most tours, especially by artists past their best) and doesn't interest me. I actually prefer the brothers playing as the Brothers of a Feather acoustic duo and would happily go and see them if they tour like that again.

As for the new 1972 album, it sounds pretty bad and seems to be a contrived exercise doing something for Amazon Music rather than something artistically valuable. It looks like Rich sings at least one of the songs and that has never been a good idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Was really excited by this. Turned the track off on amazon after about 90 secs. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22952
    If they ever make a Black Crowes movie they'll have to get Casey Affleck to play Rich.

Rich Robinson Tour Dates Concert Tickets  Live StreamsThe Indian Express  Page 671
    Brothers of a feather only works in small venues - I saw them in London two years ago and it was great, but won’t cover their tour costs.

I like the new track, they’ve always done great covers when playing live, so I’m happy!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Finally they’re playing in London tonight after a two year delay! Anyone else going or seen them on previous uk dates over the last few days?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • I'm there tomorrow. Looking forward to it. For me it's been a 31 year wait. A bunch of us had tickets for the Town and Country club in '91 but never made it that night. Enjoy :+1: 

Waiting for Reef to start!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • How was it Mark? What time did it kick off?
    edited September 2022
    Was superb! Crowd was very into it- some songs were like a footy crowd sing along. First 10 songs are “Shake your moneymaker” in original running order so you know what’s coming! Then more hits and a bit of a jam merging their songs. Not too loud (Rich sometimes has a problem with that) and great vibe- they all seemed into it. Much better vibe than when I last was them in 2013 with Jacky Green on lead guitar.

I enjoyed Reef - they did a great cover of The Chain, didn’t know much of their set though.
    Reef 7.45-8:25
     Crowes 8.40/9 -finish 10.45

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    Was superb! Crowd was very into it- some songs were like a footy crowd sing along. First 10 songs are “Shake your moneymaker” in original running order so you know what’s coming! Then more hits and a bit of a jam merging their songs. Not too loud (Rich sometimes has a problem with that) and great vibe- they all seemed into it. Much better vibe than when I last was them in 2013 with Jacky Green on lead guitar.

I enjoyed Reef - they did a great cover of The Chain, didn’t know much of their set though.

Did Reef do that song about seeking treatment for severe piles?

It goes "So place your hands, on my hole...."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • mrkb said:

:+1: 

mrkb said:

They didn’t even know the right words to “it’s your letters” which is their most famous song! ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkb said:
    mrkb said:

They didn’t even know the right words to “it’s your letters” which is their most famous song! ;)

I actually bought one of their newer albums on vinyl for £5 off Amazon a couple of years back on a total punt - it was bluddy good - one of those under-rated bands bubbling under for years.  They still all got "cool and not at all britpop" beards still?
    ^ yep, well the singer has, the bassist is more hairy than snags, guitarist is Ronnie woods son but doesn’t play on it (he’s married to Fern Cotton (my wife tells me)), and they’ve just added a female guitarist in her 40s, and they sound like broad west country folk, so not Brit pop cool at all.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkb said:
    the bassist is more hairy than snags
    Bluddy hell @Snags you have a rival on the gigging circuit!

Lucky he's just a bassist.

• FWIW  - my favourite Reef songs...

I'm not actually horrifically familiar with Black Crowes except through them being the lovely @mrkb favourite band - but I'd imagine a pretty good match on that basis.