Problems with Schecter Diamond series

TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
I bought a tempest custom at Christmas. Since then it has been playing up every now and then with the neck pickup producing very low output after switching from the bridge. Trouble is the happens only every 2 hoursl or so. I took it back to the shop and spent ages showing them. They sent it back for repair but after 8 weeks I get it back, but still the problem persists... Is this a common schecter problem? I like the guitar but am now not trusting the brand, would I be better off getting the shop to exchange it for something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    I wouldn't say it's a brand issue.. atm my internet is super slow and times out on everything so I can't look for your exact specs.

Is it passive pups with a coil tap ?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7868
    Its SD 59 neck and a SD custom custom bridge. Both with coil tap and both passive.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Sounds like a faulty selector switch, or faulty volume control. Or a bad solder joint. At worst, it could be the pickup.

If the shop don't have a competent on-site tech, you need to find one which does - there's no sense in sending a guitar back to the distributor to fix a trivial fault like this, especially since they don't always know what they're doing either!

It's not a common problem with Schecters as such but is not uncommon with electric guitars as a whole.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    It might be a bit of dirt on the switch. 

Try a bit of contact cleaner (e.g. Servisol Super 10) whilst operating the switch to see if that clears it.
  • zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    who installed the neck pup? does it sound the same as when you have it on single coil when it's only giving low output?

could also be the switch ?

what work was carried out on it ? and can you get a cavity shot to stick up here?
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    He means the guitar.
    :D
    I had a problem with a micro switch not so long ago. They are fortunatley very cheap to replace.
    The shop said they couldn't find a fault, which is why they sent it somewhere else. I can only take it there as it is covered by their warranty.. To my mind if they can't fix it they should replace the whole guitar right?

I did clean the switch.. It did not help in this case... :(
    Pick is stock installed. 95 percent of the time all works coorectly. Fault occurs regardless of coil tap selection.
    zenzeypher;249814" said:
    who installed the neck pup? does it sound the same as when you have it on single coil when it's only giving low output?

could also be the switch ?

what work was carried out on it ? and can you get a cavity shot to stick up here?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    The shop said they couldn't find a fault, which is why they sent it somewhere else. I can only take it there as it is covered by their warranty.. To my mind if they can't fix it they should replace the whole guitar right?
    It depends whether you want to keep the guitar or not. If you like it, I would take it somewhere else to fix it even if you have to pay for it. If you don't, you could try getting them to replace it, but if they can't find a fault they may not be willing to.

I did clean the switch.. It did not help in this case... :(
    Cleaning the switch with contact cleaner doesn't always work. You may have to draw a piece of folded fine sandpaper through the switch contacts if it's corroded rather than dirty. If that's not it, it could be the volume pot. Even though it seems to be set off by using the switch, the vibration that causes through the guitar body can sometimes do strange things.

If you can get it to cut out, does turning down the volume control affect the amount of background hum you hear through the amp?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It sounds like a poor solder joint. If you like the guitar otherwise (and they're cracking imo), it's worth just replacing the volume pot and switch, and the jack socket while you're at it (top quality ones are only a couple of quid).
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12899
    I know a guy who's a Schecter endorsee and he loves them and gigs 'em regularly. Never had any issues either AFAIK. As the others have said, yours sounds like a switch or pot issue or maybe a dry joint.

Good to know that this looks like a one off problem and not a general Shecter problem, I really like the guitar so will take it back tomorrow and see what they say...

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3487
    I have a schecter Shaun Morgan played daily for nearly 18 months now and only have good things to say about it. Had a tempest and an S1 in the past and they where great too, in fact I'd love another tempest custom.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 924
    I have a couple of Schecters, a Stiletto Classic and a California Custom. Both are good, reliable guitars and I've never had a problem with them.