Who's tried a ...

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
in FX tFB Trader
I thought it would be an interesting idea to have a thread where you list something you like the idea of, but you've never tried / don't know much about and others who own / have tried can furnish them with their opinions. 

So on my list is:

The EHX Tortion - Really want to know how much it sounds like a Bogner.
The Suhr Rufus - Seems like a super versatile Fuzz
The Wampler Velvet - Sounds freaking amazing in demos, is it really that good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5316
    I had a velvet fuzz but I did nothing for me!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    tone1;250411" said:
    I had a velvet fuzz but I did nothing for me!
    Really what didn't you like about it?

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Pretty keen on a Velvet fuzz myself. Seems to do Fuzz Face through to Big Muff, doesn't mind buffers and is Fdnder amp friendly.
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 506
    I like the look of the Suhr, I like their other pedals I've got. Not much use but meh.
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Good idea :)

Can't think of anything offhand at the moment, though :))
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    edited May 2014
    EHX Epitome or a Pog
    Jetter GS3
    Lazy J amp
    CAE Amp

Nothing rare here and I could find shops withing a 30 mile radius to try them but just haven't got around to it.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8625
    Good idea for a thread.

Only thing on my "who's tried a" list would be:

Rivera Double or blues shaman - never hear anything of these which surprises me with Riveras reputation, so just curious.

Anyone?

• I, too, am very curious about the ehxtortion. Particularly going DI or into effects loop as a preamp.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

I am seriously thinking of the

Boss DS1 X Premium Distortion

Boss OD1 X Premium Overdrive

Boss OC3 Polyphonic Octaver

If anyone can tell me what they are like to live with I would be very grateful.

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 357
    Catalinbread Echorec.

Strymon Timeline/El Capistan.  The reason I ask is that the units I've heard on the tube of U all seem to have an underlying digital "shimmer" to them, which is unpleasant to me (though you might like it).  Is this the case when playing live with them?
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    Kebabkid said:
    EHX Epitome or a Pog

I had a Micro Pog.  It was great fun and the tracking on it is basically spot on, even for chords, so long as it sees the guitar signal first.  If you want an octave pedal without all the glitchy tracking issues that many of the older and mono ones have a Pog is a good choice.
  • AbandonMuteAbandonMute Frets: 29
    Cacofonix said:
    Strymon Timeline/El Capistan.  The reason I ask is that the units I've heard on the tube of U all seem to have an underlying digital "shimmer" to them, which is unpleasant to me (though you might like it).  Is this the case when playing live with them?

Timeline user here. When using it live (or recording with it) it just sounds like a great delay pedal. It does shimmery and digital but does analogue and dark too. I can understand the temptation to want to think that something that's both raved about and quite pricey maybe doesn't live up to the hype, but it is a superb pedal. Possibly the best of all time, but let's not go there!
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3197
    For some reason I always wanted to try a Danelectro Grilled Cheese distortion despite never reading a positive review or demo of one. I have no idea why.

Interested in the Soul food hype.

Strymon Flint- when it came out I thought it would be perfect for me. I still haven't got around to getting one and moving on my other reverbs and trems.

Source audio EQ looks interesting.

Despite owning a Tim I want to try a good old Boss SD1 through my JCM800.

Dod octoplus looks interesting despite having a POG2...

Probably loads more...
  • r_peggior_peggio Frets: 18
    Catalinbread RAH anyone?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    catalinbread pareidolia harmonic mesmeriser.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader

Strymon Flint- when it came out I thought it would be perfect for me. I still haven't got around to getting one and moving on my other reverbs and trems.
    I have a Flint. 

Generally I'm very happy with it. 

I bought it principally for the Trem. I previously used a Mooer Telecopter (which is Demeter Tremulator clone) and the valve trem emulation on the Flint is certainly richer although still doesn't fully capture a power amp trem circuit (nor to I think anything in the fx loop ever could). 
    The choppy trem is nice for Smiths REM type effects, but I don't really use it so I won't comment further. 
    The Harmonic Trem wasn't something I was really expecting, but it's a real bonus as it gives some nice univibe type settings which are awesome for that "No Quarter" type swirly sound and effectively make it a 3 in one pedal.

Reverb
    The 60s spring reverb was a bit of a let down. I haven't used any other digital reverb pedals so I don't know if TC/Eventide/Digitch do it better, but I have owned some amps with big valve driven reverb tanks and this to my mind doesn't really capture the essence of it. It sounds like it's trying too hard to have a surfy "sproing" type sound to it. 

The 70's reverb is perfect for a light ambience and gives that effect where you only notice it when it's off and it suddenly sounds dry. I have it on most of the time and I think it's a superb effect. 

The 80's is again a surprise because it emulates a weird solid state reverb rack so it actually has quite a lot of strange ambient shimmers. The coolest thing is that it will go into an infinite maelstrom of ambient shimmer if you crank it so it's lovely for doing textural stuff and because it does reverb tails you can jam over it by kicking it on playing a chord then turning it back off and jamming over the big Pink Floyd soundscape it creates.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @flanging_fred source audio EQ was great. Quiet, and was very practical for gigs because of the click to switch patch function. With normal EQ pedals, you either have them on or off, so this is basically 4 of them at once. You can get mid hump, scooped, treble boost and normal flat boost EQs in one pedal. I only got rid of it because I decided I could use my TS for the mid boost, turn my guitar volume up for a volume boost, and I didn't really need a scooped or treble boost sound. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    Cheers @guitarfishbay and that sounds ideal as the Boss OC2 and other octavers I've tried in fx units don't really work for me.

Ooh, while I'm here I'd still like to plug in a Dusenberg Mike Campbell Starplayer and a Fender Esprit(now the custom shop Robben Ford Model)
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3197
    Thx for the heads up on the Flint and EQ. GAS has not been abated!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28014
    I had a Micro Pog.  It was great fun and the tracking on it is basically spot on, even for chords, so long as it sees the guitar signal first.  If you want an octave pedal without all the glitchy tracking issues that many of the older and mono ones have a Pog is a good choice.
    Is it really that good? The only polyphonic octaver I've ever come across that worked properly was the Moprheus Droptune - tracking in dropped octave mode was absolutely perfect, and it handled chords the way it handled everything...simply a digital downtune.

I could really do with something that does an octave down (plus the dry signal), but I'm hesitant to spend the money on a Micro POG without hearing any decent demos of that mode (which I haven't found as yet).
    <space for hire>