Strap buttons come loose when using grolsch washers

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3487
    Always use the rubber beer washers never had an issue. I've lost a firebird due to schallers before and the plastic Dunlop things are a joke.

Providing the strap pin already has a secure grip into the wood (yours doesn't it seems) then the rubber washers will hold your strap on perfectly even for all of your windmilling wild antics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    edited May 2014
    Also, PRS got it right using a Precision string tree as a strap button, works a treat. And as said above, having the strap button screw fixed firmly in place is the best starting point.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74470
    Also, PRS got it right using a Precision string tree as a strap button, works a treat.
    I have to admit, be careful before you assume this.

I dropped my PRS Standard when somehow I got the strap folded back on itself on the button and it forced itself off - it's a tight fit, too - takes quite a bit of effort to get it on or off normally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rossirossi Frets: 1740
    I found Schallers gave a sort of extra  leverage  that caused the screw to work its way out due to sticking out more (more strain on screw ) so I use Grolsch which  give less leverage  due to being closer to the guitar .
  • rossirossi Frets: 1740
    I found Schallers gave a sort of extra  leverage  that caused the screw to work its way out due to sticking out more (more strain on screw ) so I use Grolsch which  give less leverage  due to being closer to the guitar .
  • JtaylorJtaylor Frets: 184
    Will try the cocktail stick with glue thing, thanks so much guys :)
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

+1 for the Dunlops.

Whatever you use just keep an eye on them, nothing is 100%, 100% of the time.

Have a quick visual check every time you pick the guitar up, or every time you tune up. It'll soon become habit and you'll not have a problem!¬

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I always check mine (I use Schallers) everytime I play. Twenty seconds twisting at the buttons and strap ends is well worthwhile. I like the simplicity of the rubber washers but it isn't practical for me as I don't keep the straps attached to the guitars when not in use. Not sure how they would stand up to being taken on and off frequently, surely it would weaken and damage them.
    edited June 2014
    Richardj said:
    I always check mine (I use Schallers) everytime I play. Twenty seconds twisting at the buttons and strap ends is well worthwhile. I like the simplicity of the rubber washers but it isn't practical for me as I don't keep the straps attached to the guitars when not in use. Not sure how they would stand up to being taken on and off frequently, surely it would weaken and damage them.
    Rubber is very resilient and can put up with lots of pulling and stretching and still keep its shape. But if it does deteriorate, just buy some more Grolsch!   :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    Richardj said:

Same for me. The Grolsch things do a good job but forget trying to get your strap off if you're doing a quick changearound after your set. I take my straps off regularly so they're just a pain in the arse for me.
    Bidley said:
    Richardj said:

Same for me. The Grolsch things do a good job but forget trying to get your strap off if you're doing a quick changearound after your set. I take my straps off regularly so they're just a pain in the arse for me.
    ??? It takes maybe 5 seconds longer to change a Grolsch washer than a straplock in my experience.
    Bidley said:
    The Grolsch things do a good job but forget trying to get your strap off if you're doing a quick changearound after your set. I take my straps off regularly so they're just a pain in the arse for me.
    I'm genuinely puzzled…!

Take a hold of the washer firmly at the edge and stretch it sideways and upwards, and it comes off. Two seconds, max.

Nearly as quick to put it back on, although it's slightly easier with two hands.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3487
    Each of my guitars has the rubber washers, they also each have their own strap that never comes off,each one needs to be at a different playing height so it's quicker to change guitars. A genuine question here: why don't you all have a strap for each guitar?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    ICBM said:
    Bidley said:
    The Grolsch things do a good job but forget trying to get your strap off if you're doing a quick changearound after your set. I take my straps off regularly so they're just a pain in the arse for me.
    I'm genuinely puzzled…!

Take a hold of the washer firmly at the edge and stretch it sideways and upwards, and it comes off. Two seconds, max.

Nearly as quick to put it back on, although it's slightly easier with two hands.
    Perhaps it's just me, but I need to apply so much force that I'm nearly damaging my guitar trying to get the strap off. Obviously it means it does what it's supposed to do, but it just doesn't work for me. With a Schaller or Dunlop design you push a little button and the strap comes off, easy.
    grungebob said:
    Each of my guitars has the rubber washers, they also each have their own strap that never comes off,each one needs to be at a different playing height so it's quicker to change guitars. A genuine question here: why don't you all have a strap for each guitar?
    Because the ones I gig with won't go in their cases with straps on.
    grungebob said:
    I do, but I generally take them off to put them in the cases.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8087
    I'm fascinated by all the tales of woe - I'm now going to tempt fate by saying that I've used schaller strap locks for years without anything coming undone or falling apart - by the sound of things I shall consider myself fortunate, and continue to use them :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Thread revival question - if you leave a strap with leather ends on a Gibson guitar permanently, is there any danger of the leather reacting with the guitar's nitro finish?
    Thread revival question - if you leave a strap with leather ends on a Gibson guitar permanently, is there any danger of the leather reacting with the guitar's nitro finish?
    Yes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I cut a small square of denim and put between the screw and strap button on my tele and it fixed the issue for me. The Grolsch rubber thing turns the strap button but the material stops the strap button turning the screw.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/