Small valve combo

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
So I'm looking to pick up a small valve amp for my home studio, it's mainly for the recording of my solo album but may also get used for jamming out ideas at a local rehearsal room. I'm currently looking at these amps: Laney Cub12, Ibanez TSA15 and the Fender Pro Junior. I will be getting the drive tones from my M5, so versatility isn't really an issue. Thoughts?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    Of those, Pro Junior. It has the best inherent tone.

Some classic recordings have been made with them too - Neil Finn uses one for example.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited May 2014
    Big +1 for the Pro Junior. I was amazed at the quality and quantity of tone it produces. Not at all boxy and really doesn't need more than volume and tone controls. I kept mine both at '6' and it was plenty loud and would go clean to drive beautifully from the guitar's volume control. Loves pedals too.
  • Pro junior.

The cub 12 is nice sounding too, but really is best with a speaker upgrade. When I heard it, I think it was a head and a different cab.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I should probably mention that the stuff I'm recording for the solo project is kind of anywhere from weezer to mastodon. Any other amps I should be checking out?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    timmysoft said:
    I should probably mention that the stuff I'm recording for the solo project is kind of anywhere from weezer to mastodon. Any other amps I should be checking out?
    Mesa Trem-o-verb.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysoft;254787" said:
    I should probably mention that the stuff I'm recording for the solo project is kind of anywhere from weezer to mastodon.

Any other amps I should be checking out?
    Jet city head? I know you want a combo but a head and 1x12 isn't that much bigger... ;)

Or get the combo. :)
    Space is paramount, my home studio is 1.75x2.25m! I have checked out the JetCity gear before, it's hard to get hold of over here now but it's definitely great sounding.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618
    edited May 2014
    What about Laney VC15 ....small with great sound...someone on here had the white limited edition for sale recently...they look classy too for a small footprint & would compliment a compact studio

Cheers
    Baz

Shame you are not nearer Tim you could try mine out with that new M5 of yrs LOL
    I was a vc30 user for a year, I even had the white one of them! The only thing with the Laneys is I know that they get very loud very quickly! I live in an apartment so i do have to be careful with vibrations! photo 906375_10152715972450061_376138600_o_zpsc110dd9e.jpg
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Look out for a Belcat 20r, or as it is known now, the Sub Zero 20r, basically a blues Jnr clone for half the price, and if mine is anything to go by actually far less noisy than the Fender.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It isn't cheap but I'm pretty happy with my H&K Tubemeister 18C. It's small, light and now the speaker has broken a bit sounds better and better.  The power scaling options are handy and it has the Red Box DI out for recording, might be worth a look.  
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    I have the Tubemeister 18w head and yes they are very good although not a "classic".valve sounding amp iyswim, still definitely worth a look
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27746
    I love the VC15, FWIW.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    Very happy with my blackstar HT5 . Plenty loud enough for home recording , sounds good and very versatile .
    Ibanez have a new little 15w combo out too, looks great but there isn't many demo videos yet. Same price as the tsa15 too.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    im thinking that if a laney vc30 is too loud wont most 15w amps also be too loud?   i have the cub12r it has a 0.75w input even that can be loud if cranked.
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 618
    What about the Laney IRT15 studio with a small cab.... has the 1w input too & all you need to link recording
    Sounds good......not many around s/h...someone on here had/has one so he will chime in
    Small footprint too
    im thinking that if a laney vc30 is too loud wont most 15w amps also be too loud?   i have the cub12r it has a 0.75w input even that can be loud if cranked.

I think it's just something with that series of Laneys, they are monstrously loud, I do love them though. Tonally the Laneys are bang on, I think the cub with it's lower input could prove to be a winner. The ibanez amps can be dropped down to 5w too.
  • mrkj2000mrkj2000 Frets: 17
    My blackstar ht5r would fit the bill perfectly . Great clean and drive tones .