New Gibson Slash Collection...

What's Hot

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    Kalimna said:
    Whether a marketing exercise or not, those are some rather lovely colours. Not *too* much more expensive than a standard, erm, Standard. 
    I shall look forward with optimism.

Ada
    Because you need another Les Paul right ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    edited January 2020
    Boromedic said:
    Wow, the usual trite comments from people who have done the sum of fuck all in their own musical lives, passing judgement on those who are written into the folklore of rock music. You must be right legends in your own lunchtime I'll bet, I'm sure Slash wishes he was as cool as you.

Pass judgement on the guitars all you want, it's a crass marketing exercise full stop we all know that. Hell, say you don't like his playing, but you're being massively disingenuous suggesting he's just a competent working player. Slash's, tone, feel, attitude and the emotion he works into a song is superb (Estranged is an example of this), he is also very much a player for the song without extended shred for the sake of it. There are some amazing players on here, can't recall anyone selling 30 million of their debut album though?
    If I could wis, lol and wow you in one go I would. Well said. UTB!

Put it this way haters, lets say its not a Slash guitar, if you don't like Slash then lets pretend its a signature of a guitarist you do love? Bonamassa no doubt. So you've got a guitar thats an upgraded version of a standard stock guitar for £600 more (which works out as less if you take into account the actual upgrades). So you're basically paying a few hundred quid for a signature guitar for your favourite player, whoever that might be, and it is unique because it has their neck carve and additions and finish (he's been gigging the red one for a few years, albeit in Custom Shop form). Would you feel the same? I don't personally think a markup of a few hundred for a signature model is that bad given that it will hold its value better than a standard. Yes you're paying for a name, but so would the theoretical next owner of it.

For me this is the guitar is what I have been waiting for. I have wanted a signature Slash for ages but want a finish I associate with classic Slash which I thought would never happen again as we've already had the AFD and the VOS '87 Illusion guitar and the goldtop. 2 of these finishes are colours I associate with classic slash, the Appetite one and the November burst one. And then there are 2 modern Slash finishes if you're that way inclined. I think they're great. I do wonder how they'll affect the used market of the existing models though!

I'm also trying to work out if these are limited or if they are permanent. There is no mention of limited edition.

As for the Slash hating, go see him live with Myles Kennedy and although you may not like it you'll be able to respect what he does. 
    UTB indeed! Hoping we've turned a corner finally.

I think they're decently priced for what they are and they look good, but it is a cash in too that can't be denied. Unfortunately Gibson threads attract certain cockish comments, some of it deserved and some just internet rehashes of old horseshit that's been doing the rounds for decades. Don't worry about it, and enjoy them if you're going to get one. I like all of them but won't buy one as a I already have 2! I wonder if the shop price will be lower than that quoted in the magazine, sometimes they are which would make them better priced perhaps.  

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If they were £2400 they would certainly be a much more attractive prospect @Boromedic - hopefully they will be sub £2.5k at least.

@hollywoodrox the 'November burst' is technically a take on the Joe Perry one because he used the Joe Perry guitar in the November Rain video... I think it's my favourite finish although I do like the green but getting the green would remind me too much of the time I nearly bought the Anaconda USA model but bottled it and then regretted it.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3427
    edited January 2020
    @Boromedic ;;

My comment was more about how artists launch a sig guitar and then move on to the next one 5 minutes later.

I own three sig guitars. There is a high correlation between the artists I like and the sig guitars I have. Mainly because they were specifically designed to play the kind of music I like and often have extra features that make them more suitable for this . So it doesn't bother me too much personally if they bugger off to play something else. 

If I bought a sig guitar exclusively because I idolised the guitarist whose sig is on it, I'd be pretty miffed if they started playing something else a couple of months later.  And Slash is one of the bigger offenders at that. Some way off Bonammassa, but still up there.
  • The November burst is rather nice  although the joe guitar was more of a plain top . They’re all out of my price range though so will have to be content with my epiphone. An 80s standard would be my ideal I nearly bought one with a headstock break last year but my luthier chap said from the picture it looked like a particularly odd break and he wouldn’t buy it himself . A lot of breaks are stronger than before when fixed 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4178
    Does anyone else play Les Pauls except Slash?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5001
    NelsonP said:
    @Boromedic ;;

My comment was more about how artists launch a sig guitar and then move on to the next one 5 minutes later.

I own three sig guitars. There is a high correlation between the artists I like and the sig guitars I have. Mainly because they were specifically designed to play the kind of music I like and often have extra features that make them more suitable for this . So it doesn't bother me too much personally if they bugger off to play something else. 

If I bought a sig guitar exclusively because I idolised the guitarist whose sig is on it, I'd be pretty miffed if they started playing something else a couple of months later.  And Slash is one of the bigger offenders at that. Some way off Bonammassa, but still up there.
    Wasn't aimed at you mate, it was aimed at those who felt the need to call him an average guitarist when he's clearly not.

Unfortunately the Sig gear stuff is a very much "a thing" these days, most artists having to come up with other revenue streams. This is part of that, not defending it but it's the way it is. Joe B bought 7 bursts and a mint flying V this year, he works hard for his money, I don't begrudge him and he's always touring somewhere, but clearly these Sig deals bring in some revenue and I'd be doing the same in their position. We don't have to buy them, I love, love, love, Slash's playing. He is the reason I own a Les Paul in part but I don't own any of his signature gear or replicas. Just cos they make em don't mean you have to buy them, they clearly work though otherwise why would Gibson do it?!

I do get the frustration though, I do, just smile and wave boys, smile and wave....

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2020
    Gerz6558 said:
    His main Appetite guitar wasn't even a Gibson but a copy.
    I do remember reading about that ages ago.  Here is the 80's Les Paul I was referring to, which seemed to go missing and he was wanting it back: https://www.slashonline.com/help-slash-find-an-old-friend/
    Yep, he had two '87 Les Paul Standards, and the rest were all fakes. Having an '89 Standard myself, I can attest to the fact that the necks on these are superb, so I can certainly see the attraction. These were his workhorse live guitars at the height of his GNR fame.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Lovely colours, but effectively there isn’t really much else to set them apart from a stock LP. 

Not that Is really expect a lot of customisation; Slash made his reputation on a ‘59 replica and standard guitars.  It’s basically a 30% markup for artist endorsement and pretty paint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Lovely colours, but effectively there isn’t really much else to set them apart from a stock LP. 

Not that Is really expect a lot of customisation; Slash made his reputation on a ‘59 replica and standard guitars.  It’s basically a 30% markup for artist endorsement and pretty paint.
    His '59 replica would be viewed as a counterfeit in tFB classifieds  ;)
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4691
    edited January 2020
    The November burst is lovely 
    Would i buy one? Nope but i was never the chosen market anyway 
  • Philtre said:
    No names come to mind...

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3427
    edited January 2020
    Boromedic said:
    NelsonP said:
    @Boromedic ;;;

Wasn't aimed at you mate, it was aimed at those who felt the need to call him an average guitarist when he's clearly not.

Unfortunately the Sig gear stuff is a very much "a thing" these days, most artists having to come up with other revenue streams. This is part of that, not defending it but it's the way it is. Joe B bought 7 bursts and a mint flying V this year, he works hard for his money, I don't begrudge him and he's always touring somewhere, but clearly these Sig deals bring in some revenue and I'd be doing the same in their position. We don't have to buy them, I love, love, love, Slash's playing. He is the reason I own a Les Paul in part but I don't own any of his signature gear or replicas. Just cos they make em don't mean you have to buy them, they clearly work though otherwise why would Gibson do it?!

I do get the frustration though, I do, just smile and wave boys, smile and wave....
    Yeah, I get it. I agree that his playing is amazing. Slash is the reason that I still hanker after a sunburst les paul. But unfortunately I don't have a spare £2500.

The amp in my sig was bought in part because of this pic. I'm obviously more of a fanboy that I would care to admit, and the marketing clearly works on me ;-)

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7203
    Philtre said:
    No, they just buy them and put pics of them on Instagram. 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Any word on what the Slashbuckers are? Presumably some version of the Seymour Duncan’s he has always used?
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7829
    zedhex said:
    Yawn - one more celeb endorsement from a massively overrated player. Slash always struck me as a competent working guitar player, but he's never done anything really special. I reckon there must be at least 30 people on this board who can play just as well as him. This is just a marketing exercise from Gibson, nothing more.
    Not true on many levels. Some iconic guitar riffs + a stage presence to die for... Music has never really been about technical ability but memorability and Slash is as good as any.
    edited January 2020
    zedhex said:
    Yawn - one more celeb endorsement from a massively overrated player. Slash always struck me as a competent working guitar player, but he's never done anything really special. I reckon there must be at least 30 people on this board who can play just as well as him. This is just a marketing exercise from Gibson, nothing more.
    Not true on many levels. Some iconic guitar riffs + a stage presence to die for... Music has never really been about technical ability but memorability and Slash is as good as any.
    He's not so memorable without the hat, and I probably wouldn't recognise him in the street if he wasn't wearing it 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7273
    Freebird said:
    Cols said:

His '59 replica would be viewed as a counterfeit in tFB classifieds  ;)
    You’re right!

Lets ban him from the forum.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Freebird said:
    zedhex said:
    He's not so memorable without the hat, and I probably wouldn't recognise him in the street if he wasn't wearing it 

When do you think he's going to stop wearing the hat and leather trousers? 

He's not as young and slim as he used to be and an oap with leather kecks and a big hat looks a bit daft.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1550
    DrBob said:
    Kalimna said:
    Whether a marketing exercise or not, those are some rather lovely colours. Not *too* much more expensive than a standard, erm, Standard. 
    I shall look forward with optimism.

Ada
    Because you need another Les Paul right ?
    Of course. I dont have a Bourbon/november burst. Or a P90 loaded one :)