New Gibson Slash Collection...

What's Hot

Comments

• rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited January 2020
    Philtre said:
    Does anyone else play Les Pauls except Slash?
    With Gary Moore gone, I wish Gibson would recognise Dave Meniketti, of Y&T, who has been an outstanding LP player right from the beginning, for 50 years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5130
    SO his signature guitar is made by a different company to one used on AFD and the signature amp is a different model?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Reverend said:
    SO his signature guitar is made by a different company to one used on AFD and the signature amp is a different model?
    Other than that, everything else is exactly the same.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    Reverend said:
    err......I need one of those Alexa thingies 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2177
    Slash plays a les paul? You learn something new every day. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Gerz6558 said:
    They look nice enough but too much of a premium for me over the standard 50's/60's.  

I'm no slash expert but didn't he own one or two les paul's from the late 80's?  Didn't one go missing and he was gutted about it.  You could easily get a late 80's Les Paul for much cheaper.  Surely that's more Gibson "authentic".

Anyway, I like Slash and don't think he is overrated at all.  He was a key cog in a huge band.
    His main Appetite guitar wasn't even a Gibson but a copy.
    So they're Authentic Les Paul copy copies?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• ColsCols Frets: 7273
    rocktron said:
    Philtre said:
    Does anyone else play Les Pauls except Slash?
    With Gary Moore gone, I wish Gibson would recognise Dave Meniketti, of Y&T, who has been an outstanding LP player right from the beginning, for 50 years.
    Despite what Gibson’s marketing blurb would have you believe, a signature guitar is not about “honouring” or “recognising” a player.  It’s about making money for Gibson, and it will come down to a judgement from the marketing department as to whether they’ll sell enough additional guitars from the association (or be able to command a horrendous markup) for it to be worth the cost of a special production run and marketing.

Regardless of Meniketti’s undoubted talent and long career, he’s not well-known enough for it to be a viable proposition.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2473
    They've really improved the Anaconda Burst from the previous USA Gibson limited model, which looked nothing like the custom shop version. Maybe I'll be able to afford a used one in 5 years...
    Tim
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23585
    I wonder how big a royalty an artist gets from the sale of their signature equipment?
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Kalimna said:
    DrBob said:
    Kalimna said:
    Whether a marketing exercise or not, those are some rather lovely colours. Not *too* much more expensive than a standard, erm, Standard. 
    I shall look forward with optimism.

Ada
    Because you need another Les Paul right ?
    Of course. I dont have a Bourbon/november burst. Or a P90 loaded one :)
    It’s funny, darkbursts (like my R8) never get much love until adorned by Slash’s signature!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1550
    And thats because i dont think ive seen it before. Thats a beaut :)
    Kalimna said:
    And thats because i dont think ive seen it before. Thats a beaut :)
    The “black” is actually dark purple but never photographs that way! Cheers.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Disclaimer - massive Slash fan and as far as I’m concerned he can release whatever guitar he wants. But - The tobacco burst looks nice whilst the red and green ones have no real  heritage imo - surely these ones are just paying homage to random recent colour schemes of limited release models.
    And the AFD one - it looks like the epiphone top! Even the USA AFD guitars only loosely resembled the original Derrig. The original was never so mingingly orange - it was more of a faded / honey burst type colour with less stark stripes.
    Think I’ll keep saving for the ‘87 VOS reissue - or just stick slash alnico 2 pro pups in my light burst trad like everyone keeps telling me to.  
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5130
    I'll pm you my address. Dint worry, the lack of Slash's name won't bother me.
  • Good to see support for Slash here. He's my guitar hero.
    Good to see support for Slash here. He's my guitar hero.
    Indeed, same here. Back in '91 he was the main reason I picked up a guitar. And despite not being the 'correct' colour, it's the reason I wanted a Cherry Sunburst LP - and why I have the memory I do of my dad saying "So, do you want it?" one day in a guitar shop, and me being speechless and having something to cherish for as long as I know what a guitar is :)

Adam

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Kalimna said:
    Good to see support for Slash here. He's my guitar hero.
    Indeed, same here. Back in '91 he was the main reason I picked up a guitar. And despite not being the 'correct' colour, it's the reason I wanted a Cherry Sunburst LP - and why I have the memory I do of my dad saying "So, do you want it?" one day in a guitar shop, and me being speechless and having something to cherish for as long as I know what a guitar is :)

Adam

Likewise. As an 11 year old my bedroom walls were covered in GnR posters and magazine cuttings. Have seen him on stage 4 times now, but only once with Axl, on the recent tour.

If I’m honest (and to be fair it could be because it was so overplayed in my youth) a lot of his guitar work hasn’t aged as well to my ears as that of my other early hero Angus. 
    I quite understand the impact of listening to music that has been 'overplayed',. However, one of my favourite pieces of guitar music remains the 'solo' from the UYI Live  where Slash and Gilby play off each other between Wild Horses and Patience. Not technically challenging, but with more 'feel' than most players manage in a lifetime.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4162
    I must've heard the wrong slash songs as pretty much everything ive heard him play, I've found his playing is fairly sloppy (especially on his well publicised self confessed one take improv album solos) and repetitive with a grating tone.  Compared to the likes of Paul Gilbert,  Joe bonamassa  John petrucci, vai etc etc who's tone is musical,  pleasing, with a rich timbre and who's playing is imaginative and precise, there's no contest. 

There's no denying his swagger and rock star cool though which is what enabled the marketing machine to sell so many albums.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom