Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Midge Ure signature guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    ICBM said:
    artiebear said:

He liked those Yamaha AES2000's along with SG series guitars. The AES2000 is a fantastic guitar if you can find one these days, brilliant top end Yamaha quality as usual. That's the only one I've seen with a Kahler, very much a child of it's time and either a custom order or more likely an add on.
    It was fitted by a British luthier - I forget who - he had to glue a solid block of wood on the inside of the top for it to mount into. There was an interview with Midge in Making Music magazine (remember that?) where he talked about it.

Indeed. :)

I tracked down a copy of that issue of MM a while ago (stupidly disposed of my collection in the dim and distant past).

Can't remember details re. luthier, etc, but I'll see if I can dig it out.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16373
    ICBM said:
    artiebear said:

He liked those Yamaha AES2000's along with SG series guitars. The AES2000 is a fantastic guitar if you can find one these days, brilliant top end Yamaha quality as usual. That's the only one I've seen with a Kahler, very much a child of it's time and either a custom order or more likely an add on.
    It was fitted by a British luthier - I forget who - he had to glue a solid block of wood on the inside of the top for it to mount into. There was an interview with Midge in Making Music magazine (remember that?) where he talked about it.

There is a website muzines.co.uk that is uploading the content of Making Music ( and other similar mags), very slowly by the look of it and not got to that one yet but there are a few things from over the years it would be interesting to revisit. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    HarrySeven said:

I tracked down a copy of that issue of MM a while ago (stupidly disposed of my collection in the dim and distant past).
    So did I :(. I had the whole lot from the first issue to somewhere over 100, I can't remember exactly. I tried selling them on Ebay but no-one was interested, so I charity-shopped them. They probably ended up just being recycled.

I suspected you might collect that sort of thing as well ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Howard Devoto declared he is an insect in Magazine's "A Song From Under the Floorboards"....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7215
    Curtis Mayfly
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 444
    MrBump said:
    I'm a Midge fan.

I could take or leave the Vintage, but I loved this guitar years ago:

Loved his Visage/Ultravox tone too - really mechanical and processed.

I'm pretty sure that's the Ibanez RG that Brian, the repair guy at Ivor Mairants, refinished for Midge in the mid 80s. Pretty much everything apart from the frets was painted Battleship Grey.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    Ah you mean Midge Ure, Thin Lizzy lead guitarist, who learned the whole set list on a flight to the US on a 1970s cassette player (I’m still not sure I believe that part of the story) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10400

Jake Bug. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10400

The Afghan Earwigs. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    We don't count spiders or scorpions as insects because they are not insects

Isn't it ironic?
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12720
    JCA2550 said:
    MrBump said:
    I'm a Midge fan.

I'm pretty sure that's the Ibanez RG that Brian, the repair guy at Ivor Mairants, refinished for Midge in the mid 80s. Pretty much everything apart from the frets was painted Battleship Grey.
    I always thought that guitar looked ace - really space age. I'm sure he used to use it with a see through strap too which I thought was pretty cool too. And yes, his tone was absolutely "right" for the music they were making - not smooth and bluesy, more strident and spikey, often modulated "hard" too. Fantastic stuff.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Is it just me or is he a a bit of a surprising choice for a signature guitar? 
    Perhaps...but he WAS in Thin Lizzy after all.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23584
    Is it just me or is he a a bit of a surprising choice for a signature guitar? 
    Perhaps...but he WAS in Thin Lizzy after all.
    Sort of...
  • InactiveX said:

Isn't it ironic?
    Don't you think?
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7215
    InactiveX said:

Isn't it ironic?
    Don't you think?
    like 10000 spoons when all you need is a knife

such is breakfast time at Uri Geller's house
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1334
    JCA2550 said:
    MrBump said:
    I'm a Midge fan.

I'm sure i read a story that in one of the 80s princes trusts or similar pop/ comedy shows either geldof or one of the young ones crew smashed this up for a  laugh...but im not 100%
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    mark123 said:

I'm sure i read a story that in one of the 80s princes trusts or similar pop/ comedy shows either geldof or one of the young ones crew smashed this up for a  laugh...but im not 100%
    It was in one piece when I saw it about last year, but certainly quite battered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

impmann said:
    JCA2550 said:
    MrBump said:
    I'm a Midge fan.

I always thought that guitar looked ace - really space age. I'm sure he used to use it with a see through strap too which I thought was pretty cool too. And yes, his tone was absolutely "right" for the music they were making - not smooth and bluesy, more strident and spikey, often modulated "hard" too. Fantastic stuff.

Have a Wiz for that. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• InactiveX said:

Isn't it ironic?
    Don't you think?
    Like raieain.... cheque please...
    Anyway, enough of this insect nonsense...

I need to find a semi to hack a Kahler into. :)