Bands/Albums you've been aware of but only just got round to listening to

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    edited June 2014
    richardhomer;262644" said:
    [quote="kuro;262607"]Please don't tell me he has released a ton of albums as I shall have to buy them all.
    I believe he has released a ton of albums...
    [/quote]

Yes he has. 'gold' is, for me, a perfect album from start to finish. Incredible song writer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    An old progger at heart, I avoid many bands due to the penchant for silly band names inherent within the genre.

Anyway, I finally got around to listening to (the terribly named) Moon Safari ..... and I am blown away! It's old school prog with a modern twist and full of the most sublime harmony vocals. It ticks all my boxes. I have to own everything they have ever recorded!!!!
  • kurokuro Frets: 26
    anybody want to buy a kidney? especially as I'm now listening to Gillian Welch
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73116
    I really can't stand Ryan Adams or the Wildhearts, and I'm not a fan of Steely Dan either... sorry!

Gillian Welch I do like though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    Porcupine Tree is new to me. I found their live album in a charity shop recently. No idea if this is representative of what they're doing nowadays as it's pretty old I think. Nice stuff in a proggy/Floydy anthemic way.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16424
    Lodious said:
    For MMJ recommendations, id go for Z and the live cd/dvd..both V. Good IMHO

Lodious said:
    For MMJ recommendations, id go for Z and the live cd/dvd..both V. Good IMHO
    Lot of the MMJ stuff very expensive on amazon. Suddenly remembered Play and have ordered Cicuital ( right spelling? anyway has the couple of tracks on it I'd recognise) for £7.14 which comes with a bonus live album by the look of it. Delivery time is about 2 weeks though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    boogieman said:
    Porcupine Tree is new to me. I found their live album in a charity shop recently. No idea if this is representative of what they're doing nowadays as it's pretty old I think. Nice stuff in a proggy/Floydy anthemic way.

@boogieman is it Coma Drive?
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    I've been meaning to check out Bill Nelson .... someone should do a Beginner's Guide to him ... pleez?
    Its where to start when you are talking about a musician who has well over 100 album credits to his name and who has covered such a wide range of music. I suggest that you visit his website (google "Dreamsville") and put a posting on there and you will get plenty of suggestions. There are several compilations around of different periods of his career. If you want to hear something of his newer stuff, go to youtube and look for "Beyond these Clouds the Sweetest Dream", a still unrelelased composition of his that he played three years ago at the Metropolis studios. There is a DVD of that concert that might be a good starting point
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5037
    Aja by Steely Dan.  Fu@king amazing album.  A track or two gets played every evening these days.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

boogieman said:

@boogieman is it Coma Drive?@

@not_the_dj No, it's Warszawa. Is Coma Drive similar? What would you recommend?

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    Skipped said:

Soon after that a guy I was in a band with insisted that I sat down and listened to Steely Dan... Can you imagine a life without Steely Dan?
    :-0
    Steely Dan.  Here's another band I should've listened to by now.  I've heard Kid Charlemagne - which is awesome - and that's it as far as I'm aware.  I spotted what must've been pretty much all there albums in a charity shop a few months back for a quid or two each. Thought about buying them, didn't, went back, gone, and I still haven't listened to them.  

Any idea where I should start?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 920
    It's Coma Divine and it's a good album. For newer live material try Anesthetize and for studio Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia, Deadwing and Fear of a Blank Planet.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    boogieman said:
    boogieman said:

Sorry, Coma Divine (my quick typing/brain bump mistake). 

Warszawa has a great selection of early/mid period PT tracks, before they got a bit heavier. I love the "Stupid Dream" - "Lightbulb Son" era as that's when I first got into the band. There's also a live performance of Voyage 34 as well which was an early classic of theres. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3354
    edited June 2014
    Skipped said:

Soon after that a guy I was in a band with insisted that I sat down and listened to Steely Dan (sh*t..which album was it) and I was hooked for life. If he had not done that would I have been drawn in by hearing the singles on the radio? I am not sure. Can you imagine a life without Steely Dan?
    :-O
    Absolutely not!  This leads nicely to The State Cows who started life as a Scandinavian Steely Dan tribute band and someone here, can't remember who (sorry) told me about their second album which transported me back to 80s West Coast stuff.

Finally got around to listening to some Tool as well - not bad but the big one for me from the last 2 years is The Alan Parsons Project. Like it a lot especially the wonderfully melodic playing of guitarist Ian Bairnson.

• thewiddlerthewiddler Frets: 31
    @beed84 The Steely Dan back catalogue is littered with classics, I'd say get one of the compilation albums like "Showbusiness Kids". Otherwise, 'The Royal Scam' is probably my favourite.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    @beed84 The Steely Dan back catalogue is littered with classics, I'd say get one of the compilation albums like "Showbusiness Kids". Otherwise, 'The Royal Scam' is probably my favourite.
    Cheers, I will hunt them down and get them bought!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    The newer Steely Dan stuff is good too - Two Against Nature & Everything Must Go.

My recent discoveries - Vintage Trouble and Black Stone Cherry
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16424
    Jalapeno said:
    The newer Steely Dan stuff is good too - Two Against Nature & Everything Must Go.

My recent discoveries - Vintage Trouble and Black Stone Cherry
    I like Vintage Trouble, annoyed with myself that I didn't take the opportunity to see them live. From interviews their second album was recorded a while ago ( mid 2013 I think) but no sign of it coming out.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27842
    On Ryan Adams, Gold, Heartbreaker,Rock and Roll and Love is Hell are all brilliant.

I'm not so sure on more recent stuff- there are good tracks scattered but the albums don't fit right for me. I'd prefer he released one great record every 4 years than 3 with only a couple of great songs on each.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    not_the_dj;263486" said:
    boogieman said:

not_the_dj said:

boogieman said:

Sorry, Coma Divine (my quick typing/brain bump mistake). 

Warszawa has a great selection of early/mid period PT tracks, before they got a bit heavier. I love the "Stupid Dream" - "Lightbulb Son" era as that's when I first got into the band. There's also a live performance of Voyage 34 as well which was an early classic of theres. 
    Cheers. I can see a few trawls of Amazon coming up.