Bands/Albums you've been aware of but only just got round to listening to

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156

I saw Tool supporting RATM in '92 and wrote them off as a very average punk band.  I recently got round to listening to Lateralus and boy was I wrong.  What an evolution!

That has inspired me to catch up on similarly quirky bands such as ISIS, Russian Circles, God speed you black emperor, Mogwai, Cave In and others.  Great stuff!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27842
    ICBM said:
    Today I listened to Dinosaur Jr. for the first time since the early 90s, when for some reason I didn't really get them. The two albums after they got back together properly - Beyond and Farm. I'd always been quite interested in what I'd heard about their odd combination of 'alternative' and 'conventional' rock, but for some reason never interested enough to go and listen to them. I caught a bit of their set at Glastonbury *last year* and quite liked it, but it's taken me this long to follow up...

F***!!! If this isn't some of the best guitar-based music I have *ever* heard :). Both the playing and the sounds.

It's also quite weird and scary how much like J. Mascis I play, although he's clearly never listened to me :D.

I've just put Beyond on. Never listened to them before, assuming they were basically just another Sonic Youth. I'm wrong, and I'm enjoying it :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    Got into Alice In Chains recently, along with Queensryche and Jesus Jones. Three very different bands but all very good.
    Dirt and Facelift by Alice In Chains are great, not heard much of the other stuff.  Similarly with Queensyrche, Operation Mindcrime is a brilliant album but haven't given any of their other stuff a listen.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73116
    Since I posted that I've gone back and listened to their entire catalogue. I now know why I didn't get into them back then, and I also think they're the only band I've ever come across where each album is better than the previous one without exception.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    beed84 said:
    Got into Alice In Chains recently, along with Queensryche and Jesus Jones. Three very different bands but all very good.
    Dirt and Facelift by Alice In Chains are great, not heard much of the other stuff.  Similarly with Queensyrche, Operation Mindcrime is a brilliant album but haven't given any of their other stuff a listen.
    Dirt and Facelift are both incredible albums. But their EP's "SAP" and particularly "Jar of Flies" are exceptional. As is their MTV Unplugged album. 

Their stuff post-Layne Staley that they've released of late is still good, but doesn't match their earlier stuff IMHO. Man in the Box is easily in my Top 5 songs of all time. 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I picked up a copy of the Stone Roses album re-released on Vinyl. Never really got them when I was younger, when they came out in '89 I was still into my Thrash era, and heavily into new wave punk bands like The Dead Kennedys.

However, now I'm older and more mellow I can really appreciate what a great album that first one is, some great songs on there and seems to be my go to record these days when working from home.  
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5209
    I kind of like Stone Roses but they are nowhere near as good as people make out.
    Best album of all time? Not even top 10 of 1989.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Reverend;327462" said:
    I kind of like Stone Roses but they are nowhere near as good as people make out.
    Best album of all time? Not even top 10 of 1989.
    I was going to take issue with you - but then I checked out all the stellar stuff from 89!

"A city star won’t shine too far"